Saturday, September 05, 2026

Travel Journal#22.35: New Mayapur, Kolkata, Mayapur

Diary of a Traveling Sadhaka, Vol. 22, No. 35
By Krishna Kripa Das
(Week 35: August 27–September 2, 2026)
New Mayapur, Kolkata, Mayapur
(Sent from Mayapur on September 5, 2026)

Where I Went and What I Did

I observed Balarama’s appearance day at New Mayapur in France with Janananda Goswami on the first day of week 35 of 2026. The next day I flew to Kolkata, arriving just in time to attend mangala-arati at ISKCON Dum Dum the following morning. I spent the final five days of the week at ISKCON Mayapur, attending mangala-arati every day, and doing three hours of harinama, split over three times and places, 10 a.m. to noon, under the bridge between the Chakra Building and the Temple of the Vedic Planetarium (TOVP), 5 to 7 p.m. at that very same place, and the at Srila Prabhupada’s Bhajana Kutira after 7 p.m. 


On Monday and Tuesday, the 5 to 7 p.m.
harinama doesn’t happen so Sri Govinda Bhasya Prabhu suggested we do our own harinama, and so we did. Many pilgrims participated.

I was happy to connect with different devotees I knew from different places and hadn’t seen for awhile. I was also happy to see all the amazing deities here.

I share quotes from Srila Prabhupada Tributes 2026 that I selected when I proofread the book two months ago. I share quotes from Srila Prabhupada’s Srimad-Bhagavatam as well as a letter of his. I share quotes from Writing Sessions in Cozzile and Litany for the Gone by Satsvarupa Dasa Goswami and notes on classes by Janananda Goswami and Anuttama and Vasusrestha Prabhus. I share notes on conversations with Bhagavata Dasi and Bhakta Jeff.

Thanks to Bhakta Jeff Blair for letting me stay at his place in Mayapur and for paying for all my prasdam and local travel during my visit. Thanks to Bhagavata Dasi for her kind donation. Thanks to Ujjwal Prabhu of ISKCON Dum Dum for getting and paying for an auto rickshaw to the Dum Dum Junction train station from the temple. Thanks to Sri Govinda Bhasya Prabhu for coming with me on two additional harinamas.

Itinerary

August 29–September 21: Mayapur harinamas 
September 22: Paris harinama 
September 23: Return to New York 
September 24: NYC Harinam 
September 25: harinama to promote Philadelphia Ratha-yatra 
September 26: Philadelphia Ratha-yatra 
September 27–December 31: NYC Harinam

Chanting Hare Krishna at New Mayapur on Balarama Purnima

Janananda Goswami and friends chant Hare Krishna on Balarama Purnima in Guru Puja Kirtan at New Mayapur (https://youtube.com/shorts/sATgsp_g0Ac?feature=share):


The end of his kirtan was especially ecstatic (
https://youtube.com/shorts/xPpXqcKs0ds?feature=share):



The cowherd girls said: O friends, those eyes that see the beautiful faces of the sons of Maharaja Nanda are certainly fortunate. As these two sons enter the forest, surrounded by Their friends, driving the cows before Them, They hold Their flutes to Their mouths and glance lovingly upon the residents of Vrndavana. For those who have eyes, we think there is no greater object of vision. Dressed in a charming variety of garments, upon which Their garlands rest, and decorating Themselves with peacock feathers, lotuses, lilies, newly grown mango sprouts and clusters of flower buds, Krishna and Balarama shine forth magnificently among the assembly of cowherd boys. They look just like the best of dancers appearing on a dramatic stage, and sometimes They sing.” (SB 10.21.7–8)

Govinda Prabhu chants Hare Krishna on Balarama Purnima at New Mayapur (https://youtube.com/shorts/Yba-FRp2En4):


Chanting Hare Krishna at Mayapur


It was impressive to see the TOVP as I arrived in Mayapur.

Ananta Shakti Prabhu chants Hare Krishna on the Mayapur midday harinama (https://youtube.com/shorts/ZF8XC7vpZ3U):



The devotees at the midday
harinama have two extra microphones, and they encourage the passersby to chant at least one mantra. Then they give them some Radha Madhava maha-prasadam.

Madhavi Devi Dasi chants Hare Krishna at the place of Bhakta Jeff in Mayapur (https://youtube.com/shorts/AX31_5TKAj4?feature=share):


Lokarama Prabhu chants Hare Krishna at the place of Bhakta Jeff in Mayapur (
https://youtube.com/shorts/QvEy7QDYP_g?feature=share):


Varasana Lila Devi Dasi chants Hare Krishna on the Mayapur evening
harinama (https://youtube.com/shorts/ckMUrN7Pksc?feature=share):


Pancatattva Prabhu chants Hare Krishna on the Mayapur evening
harinama (https://youtube.com/shorts/JJP-DXtFlFo?feature=share):


Vanamali Prabhu plays a stringed instrument and chants Hare Krishna on the Mayapur evening
harinama (https://youtube.com/shorts/Fw0Xt-evKZw?feature=share):


Prabhu chants Hare Krishna on the Mayapur evening
harinama (https://youtube.com/shorts/X0iqHSaQX4E?feature=share):


Prema Devi Dasi chants Hare Krishna on the Mayapur evening
harinama (https://youtube.com/shorts/pKGvwF6LOBg?feature=share):


Tulasi Priya Dasi chants Hare Krishna on the Mayapur evening
harinama (https://youtube.com/shorts/N3afp_BzNJg?feature=share):


Sri Govinda Bhasya Prabhu chants Hare Krishna by the TOVP Office in Mayapur, and many join in (
https://youtube.com/shorts/7JyswojWa2w?feature=share):


Vishnurata Prabhu chants Hare Krishna on the Mayapur midday
harinama (https://youtube.com/shorts/3eap5tjpg6M?feature=share):


Alakananda devi dasi chants Hare Krishna in the Mayapur midday
harinama (https://youtube.com/shorts/nTLTVjD9YA4):


Madana Mohini Devi Dasi chants Hare Krishna on the Mayapur evening
harinama, and pilgrims play instruments (https://youtube.com/shorts/Doez6c-Zul4?feature=share):


Vrajapati Suta Prabhu chants Hare Krishna on the Mayapur midday
harinama (https://youtube.com/shorts/qCMPYLaMBsU?feature=share):


Photos

When I boarded my first flight, from Paris to Abu Dabhi, seeing CCU was my final destination, the stewardess helping me find my seat said, “I am from Kolkata.” She asked where else I was going. I mentioned Mayapur and asked if she knew Mayapur. She replied, “Everyone in Kolkata knows Mayapur.”


On my second flight, this stewardess asked where I was going in India. I mentioned Mayapur. She asked if I was going anywhere else. I said I sometimes go to Vrindavan. She asked if I had been to Rishikesh. I said yes excitedly, remembering the beauty of the mountains and Ganges flowing out from them, and also remembering the wonderful
harinamas I did with Harinama Ruci there. She agreed about the beauty of Rishikesh, knowing it well as a resident of nearby Hardwar.

It was 3:30 a.m. when I came out of Kolkata airport immigration, and I was inspired to take a shower, put on clean clothes and go to the nearest mangala-arati. 


I found ISKCON Dum Dum is just 10 minutes from the airport and the taxi is just 241 Rs (about $2.50). After the tulasi puja devotees got me an auto rickshaw for 10 Rs, plus another 10 Rs for my bag, to Dum Dum Junction, where trains to Krishnanagar run every hour or two. It was a great way to split up my trip, and I arrived at ISKCON Mayapur in time for the 10 a.m. to noon
harinama.


The most beautiful sight in the universe and beyond is Radha Madhava and Their eight prominent female associates. Although photos, especially with my camera, cannot do justice to their beauty, I share one just to remember Them, the jewels of Mayapur.


Jeff took me to one of his favorite pizza places in Mayapur which is just outside the campus on the way to the Yogapitha. It was very tasty and helped end my bout with diarrhea.



Once we had lunch at the Prabhupada Kitchen, sponsored by an attendee at
harinama. The banana flower sabji was amazing.


When I saw the weather forecast, I understood why it is called the rainy season.

Notes on Srila Prabhupada Tributes 2026

Umapati Swami:

I worried about believing Prabhupada. But I’ve been believing him for sixty years now, and it hasn’t broken a hair on my head. Let the rebels think I’ve gone conservative. Let the conservatives think I’ve gone rebel.”

It was Prabhupada who gave me the guts to stand up to Darwin and all the scientists who follow him. They never got me to sing and dance on the street. Only Prabhupada did that. I had heard the expression ‘jump with joy,’ but I never thought I would do it. Thank you, Prabhupada.”

Giriraj Swami:

I first saw Srila Prabhupada in the spring of 1969 at Brandeis University, in Boston, where he had just concluded a program. I had come too late to hear him, but the next day I visited the storefront ISKCON temple on Glenville Avenue, where he was scheduled to speak. When I arrived, the room was already packed, and when Srila Prabhupada began speaking I had difficulty understanding him – I wasn’t used to his Bengali accent, and the philosophy was new to me. Still, I did hear him say that out of many thousands of men, one would seek perfection. And I thought, ‘That’s me!’ 
When Srila Prabhupada asked for questions, I raised my hand. ‘There are so many swamis and gurus,’ I began, ‘and each one recommends a different method of self-realization and says that his is the best. How do I know which is actually best?’ 
“‘What is your goal?’ Srila Prabhupada replied. “Do you want to serve God, or do you want to become God? If you want to become God, it means that you are not God now. And how can not-God become God? God is God. The real guru teaches that God is in your heart and that you can become godly – but that you cannot become God.’ 
As Srila Prabhupada spoke, I got the distinct impression that he knew everything about me and was seeing right into my apartment, right to the sign on my wall, on which I had engraved in ornate lettering: ‘You are God.’ 
“‘What do you think?’ he asked. ‘Do you want to serve God or do you want to become God?’ 
I said, ‘I want to serve God, but I realize that actually, I wanted to become God.’ 
Prabhupada was emphatic in his affirmation: ‘Yes!’ 
I immediately offered my obeisances. I had found my spiritual master. 
From that first meeting, my whole life’s purpose became bringing people to Srila Prabhupada. I was able to do that for many years, but when Prabhupada passed away, I wondered, ‘What will my service be now?’ 
Now I understand that Srila Prabhupada is always present, and that by speaking of him, hearing about him, remembering him, and most significantly, by studying his books, we can experience his presence. So I can continue doing what I was doing when he was personally present – introducing souls to Srila Prabhupada. That is what I feel natural doing. And I know that somehow or other, if someone comes in touch with Srila Prabhupada, his or her life will be successful.”

Kavicandra Swami:

When Hiranyakasipu raised his eyebrows, the demigods would be fearful and take his orders. When you raised your eyebrows, thousands of devotees would rush out to distribute your books and the holy names, and the demons would flee. Due to that, now your granddisciples and great-granddisciples are doing even more amazing things.”

Mahavishnu Swami:

Trailing clouds of Krishna’s glories – the holy names and your transcendental words and example – you and your beloved messengers came from afar to drag me and countless others, past, present, and future, from the darkness of animal-like ignorance to the light of eternal Krishna consciousness. Thank you!”

Bhakti Gauravani Goswami:

The world desperately needs the message you gave. Humanity stands at a crossroads. Material progress has brought extraordinary technological power, yet it has not brought peace. Instead, anxiety is increasing relentlessly, both on an individual and a societal level. Relationships are more fragile than ever, and people struggle to find meaning in their lives.

We may not always agree on every detail of management or interpretation. Diversity of perspective may even be inevitable in a global movement that now spans continents and cultures. Yet if we can remember that we are united in service to you and to Krishna, those differences need not become causes of division. 
Instead, they can become opportunities for deeper dialogue, deeper reflection, deeper realization, and ultimately deeper cooperation.”

Radhanath Swami:

As the years pass, your original disciples are physically aging. More and more we must endure the heartbreak of departing Vaishnavas. In the tears we may shed in separation from your beloved devotees, we may celebrate your love for them and their love for you. This appreciation among devotees is at the heart of our society.”

It is our prayer that you may be pleased with our aspiration to become the servants of the servants of your illustrious legacy of love.”

Varsana Swami:

As we give Krishna our intentional presence, we feel His reciprocation in advance for services yet to be offered.”

The devotees’ joyful praise of the Lord, even as He dismantles their material prospects, serves among the finest testimonials of practicing what one preaches and embodying what one believes. With every loss, disappointment, heartbreak, and betrayal, we are being lovingly tested. Will we choose resentment, which hardens the heart, or gratitude, which softens it? If we truly desire to please and serve the Lord in a substantial manner, we will rejoice in the personal involvement of our most loving Deity as He prepares us to serve as instruments of His mercy.”

Mahadyuti Swami:

And Madhavananda Dasa recalls that at the end of a morning walk in Calcutta in 1972, when some brahmacaris had been complaining about the presence of women in the temple, you corrected them, saying, ‘If you associate with these women, you will go back to Godhead.’

Niranjana Swami:

Once, during your visit to Dallas, one of your disciples stood up and asked you, ‘Srila Prabhupada, how can I repay you?’ Your response was concise and to the point: ‘Just remain obliged.’”

Aditi Devi Dasi:

Soon Prabhupada appointed Gopal Krishna Prabhu to become GBC of India. I went to Vrndavana for one day, and shared a tonga with Gopala Krishna from Vrindavan to Mathura. As we were leaving, an elderly widow approached with her hand outreached, and Gopala Krishna Prabhu reached into his bag and gracefully gave a donation. At that moment I realized that finally India had a GBC who would lead the yatra to expand in wonderful ways under his kind and humble direction.”

Mahasini Devi Dasi:

Thank you for giving us the one true thing

In a cacophony of nonsense caused by Maya’s modes

The transcendental answer to find the Lord’s abode

Is the one true thing.

Celebrities, presidents, scream for attention

All their blather; what they all fail to mention

Is the one true thing

Conspiracies, lies and misinformation

Standing above since the dawn of creation

Is the one true thing

Kali-yuga is truly destined

The saving grace; never questioned

Is the one true thing

Images of violence our senses assail

What allows us to see behind Maya’s veil

Is the one true thing

For now it seems the demons have ascended

The only hope that they can be upended

Is the one true thing

You lit the fuse for human salvation

Chaitanya’s promise for every nation

The Lord’s holy name without discrimination

In all the worlds there is one true thing

We, the drowning, would be wise to cling

We, the fortunate, must not fail to sing

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna

Krishna Krishna Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama

Rama Rama Hare Hare

May Lord Nrsiṁhadeva always protect your ISKCON.”

Suresvara Dasa:

Before we left the college, I approached a student to ask her if she knew that our spiritual master had attended her school. ‘Of course I know,’ she smiled. ‘Everyone knows that Bhaktivedanta Swami attended Scottish Church College.’ Hearing her say your name, my heart swelled with pride.”

Sukhada Devi Dasi:

After reading Srila Prabhupada's books and associating with his devotees, I finally met him in 1975 at the Miami Airport. My temple president, Abhirama Prabhu, asked Nartaka Gopala and I to scatter rose petals in Prabhupada’s path as he glided through the doors. I wasn’t prepared for the deluge of feelings when I finally saw His Divine Grace. His stately presence, his gentle smile, his confidence, his effulgence, but foremost his love were on full display. As I struggled to calmly toss the petals in front of his lotus feet, I had the distinct feeling that this was the first time in my life that an experience far exceeded my expectations. I realized that every major event in my life had been somewhat disappointing . . . milestones that are celebrated . . . graduations, marriage, employment opportunities . . . everything just didn't add up to the hype. Seeing Srila Prabhupada made me an instant ‘groupie’ although this had never been my style while seeing famous bands, personalities, etc. I simultaneously wanted to cry, laugh, all the while just concentrating on my service.”

He spoke of prasadam and the essential part it played in our movement. Prabhupada announced that we all had come to the movement due to prasadam, even our temple president Abhirama Prabhu! A hand rose asking if it was true that someone who had prasadam was guaranteed a human birth. “Yes,” Prabhupada replied. With this reply, there was an eruption of cheers and clapping at the realization of our already good fortune. When the audience calmed down, Prabhupada continued, “There are some species of monkeys that are considered human.” That made everyone more reflective as we realized there was more to going back to Godhead than taking prasadam.

One of our last stops on our transcendental journey was in Montgomery, Alabama. Tamohara, Bhaktin Marcia, and myself were distributing beautiful Back to Godheads with an amazing picture of the Supreme Personality of Godhead on the cover. We didn’t realize we were in dangerous territory. After a short time a policeman approached and decided to arrest us, obviously not appreciating our efforts at transforming the world. He jailed us, and as it was late in the day, our driver Bhakta Chris, was unable to bail us out.

The next morning they brought Bhaktin Marcia and I into a white room with a small window; we were definitely nervous. Shortly after, we were summoned to appear in front of the judge. He questioned each person about what we were doing, why, and what we had done before this. I explained I had been a teacher and thought I could accomplish my lofty goals by working with children, but I soon realized something was missing in the educational process. Each one of us had our turn in explaining our purpose to the judge. All the while, I felt so protected by Srila Prabhupada. Miraculously, the judge dismissed us, apologizing even, (!) giving us his card, and letting us know he would help us in the future if needed!

We were famished after not honoring prasada for so long and dear Mantrini had prepared a feast for us. We entered the RV, sat down, and suddenly there was a knock at the door. Lo and behold, it was the judge and the bailiff. Mantrini invited them in, and they sat down and took sumptuous prasada with us. The judge then offered a generous donation, received a Bhagavad-gita, and departed with a big smile.”

Sankarsana dasa Adhikari:

I started praying every day, ‘Dear God, please guide me. How can I be Your perfect servant?’

And He heard my prayerful pleas. He sent His Holiness Vishnujana Swami to Austin, Texas, to teach me how to surrender to the will of God.

Under his guidance, I began the process of Krishna consciousness. At that time, George Harrison had released the song “My Sweet Lord,” which became a number one hit in the U.S., the U.K., and many other countries, and sold over five million copies. Since I was a popular singer-songwriter, my idea was to be a Krishna conscious singer-songwriter, teaching people about Krishna through my songs.

Srila Prabhupada, I did not yet want to become your fully surrendered disciple.

However, everything changed when I heard a recording of the ‘Gurvastakam’ prayers sung by the London devotees. They sang with such deep feeling, such love, such spiritual intensity, it was unlike anything I had ever experienced. When I heard that heartfelt kirtana, my heart melted, tears flowed from my eyes, and I thought, ‘Wouldn’t it be beautiful if I gave my life to Srila Prabhupada.’

From that very moment, I became determined that I must become your initiated disciple and as soon as possible. So, I began strictly following the chanting of sixteen rounds daily and the four regulative principles.”

Jitamrita Devi Dasi:

I remember being present at the Deity installation of Sri Sri Radha-Govinda when They were installed at our small Henry Street temple in Brooklyn, New York. I can still see it clearly. The room was crowded and filled with fragrant smoke from incense. I found a small place in a corner where I could see Their Lordships and sat there in stunned awe throughout the ceremony, feeling as though we had all been transported to another world. It truly was an ‘out of this world’ experience.”

Ali Krishna Devi Dasi:

In many wonderful ways you have worked to bestow the blessing of Krishna consciousness upon the world, but perhaps your greatest contribution is the personal change you have brought about in the hearts of your disciples. Their joy and purity, their dedication and freedom from vices, are all evident in their lives, but the feeling of gratitude that each of them feels toward you, Srila Prabhupada, is practically inexpressible.”

Gauragopala Dasa:

Srila Prabhupada, you have also personally taught me that no matter how fallen we are, we should never give up the goal of achieving Krishna consciousness. You personally told me this while I was guarding your room in Melbourne Temple, Australia, in early 1976, giving me further appreciation, clarification and understanding of a letter you sent me in 1975.”

As Srila Prabhupada taught us, we must never forget that Krishna serves and loves His dear devotees far more than they can ever serve and love Him.”

Arjuna Dasa:

Once in a class you said ‘don’t try to become a devotee; just be a servant of the servant’.”

Govardhan Devi Dasi:

You performed your miracles on this planet, surrounded by your disciples for whom your love was palpable. They are still glowing from the experience.”

Let me remember how your pranama mantra contains the words ‘pascatya desa tarine’ – saving the Western countries. When you acquired the present Los Angeles temple, you instructed that the pews, pulpit and church organ be left intact. Your intention was that the Americans could come in with their shoes on and listen to Bhagavad-gita and kirtana. Coming back to this temple months later, you saw that your order had been countermanded. You told those responsible: ‘You think you know better than your spiritual master!’ An eye-witness reports that he had never seen you so angry.”

I love the irony that a so-called demon [Vrtrasura] spoke so wonderfully, and that his words are passed down the generations of devotees via the Bhagavatam.”

Rukmini Priya Devi Dasi:

Through the many ups and downs of life, the memory of your divine physical presence inspires and uplifts me and allows me to walk through life untouched by the demonic influences of this age.”

Prthusrava Dasa:

Land, buildings, corporate organization, philosophy, and even beautiful Deities are not enough to unite a group of diverse personalities into a community or society of loving devotees. Without such an example of loving devotees, how can we attract others to the sublime culture of Krishna consciousness?”

Kadamba Devi Dasi:

The scriptures say that Krishna comes before the devotee as the spiritual master, as the sun comes before us as the sunshine.”

Jaya Bhadra Devi Dasi:

I beg to offer my prostrated obeisances to you, who like the mighty Bhismadeva, ‘spoke on different subjects with thousands of meanings and who fought on thousands of battlefields and protected thousands of men’. I am among the most insignificant and fallen who were blessed to listen to you speak and witness your unwavering battle against the illusory onslaught of illusion, in which you continue to uplift and protect many hundreds and thousands of souls.”

Uttama Devi Dasi:

It is an exceptional fortune that I have become connected to you. Had you not come into my life, I don’t know what would have happened to me. Actually, I do know – I would have had a mundane boring life, with no real meaning.”

I am indebted to your pure gifts of the maha-mantra accompanied by absorption in devotional service. Please allow me to relish those pure gifts, where the treasure of my inheritance awaits.”

Dravida Dasa:

When I joined ISKCON in late March of 1973 at the famous Henry Street temple in Brooklyn, three hours of street harinama was the standard, plus the morning and evening programs, including, of course, 16 rounds of japa. All that chanting and dancing kept everyone fired up and blissful.”

Madhusevita Dasa:

If we devote our life to your Bhaktivedanta purports, you will make miracles that we cannot even imagine. Casting away all distorted forms of devotion, you will illumine our hearts with pure Krishna consciousness, giving us the strength and intelligence to maintain your legacy intact.”

Krishnavesa Dasi:

I have heard in disciplic succession that a Vyasa-puja offering should be words of appreciation and gratitude for the qualities and gifts of the spiritual master.”

Nikuñjavasini Devi Dasi:

Your plan was brilliant; you built homes for your devotees all over the world, where they have shelter from the onslaughts of maya, by associating together, following your perfect recipe.

Four regulative principles, 16 rounds, Deity worship, Mangala arotika, japa, greeting the Deities, Guru-puja and Srimad-Bhagavatam class, after which came a plate of sumptuous prasadam. Service all day, cleansing the temple, preaching, and book distribution. Then come home for the evening Arotika and Bhagavad-gita class, hot milk and Krishna book.”

Krishnadasa Kaviraja dasa:

Your purports in the Bhagavad-gita are like a soothing balm to a weary traveler. I have been traveling in this material world trying to satisfy my own desires for zillions of births. But the question remains, ‘How is that working for me?’

I now must admit that it is not working for me. I must listen to you, Srila Prabhupada.”

The gift of eternal life in harmony with Krishna and all other spiritual souls is more valuable than anything, anywhere and for all time.”

Krishnarupa Devi Dasi:

The extent of your most compassionate mercy, the purity of your devotion to the Lord, and your kindness to all of us is something we can meditate on and indeed wonder about.”

When that young brahmacari was your bodyguard in the very early hours of that morning, he asked you how he could serve you. And you said to him ‘I want you to go where I cannot go.’ And the brahmacari was puzzled. He thought, ‘Srila Prabhupada goes everywhere, all around the world.’

And then you said, ‘I want you to go to the future where I cannot go and I want you to show the people how much Krishna loves them by how much you care for them.’”

Visvatomukha Dasa:

The World Acarya

You came across the sea alone,

Far from your Vrndavana home,

Your guru’s order in your heart:

Caitanya’s cult to all impart!’

To this realm of fallen, faithless and fools

Where darkness covers and passion rules,

You brought Bhagavatam’s bright light to all nations,

You being the Bhagavatam’s personification.

In Boston harbor before your ISKCON was displayed,

O Lord, make me dance as You like,’ you prayed.

You sang and danced to Krishna’s song,

And taught the world to sing along.

How was it possible?’, future historians will ponder.

Without friend, money or support, alone he wandered,

Yet he quickly raised an army across every land

To build his movement and distribute his books to every woman and man.

Established Eternal Dharma, set in motion Krishna’s plan.

These aren’t the works of an ordinary man.

Surely he was empowered by the Divine Hand.’

You brought the sacred mantra of Lord Krishna’s holy names.

Wealth, beauty, knowledge, strength, renunciation and fame

Are unlimited within these sixteen words,

Which purify and melt stone hearts, of all those who have heard.

Personal Godhead, the Timeless Truth,

Afresh for modern times.

All is one?’ ‘We’re all God?’ ‘God is dead?’

NO! You obliterate these crimes.

To every town and village’, Mahaprabhu calls,

Regardless of caste, creed or color, deliver them all!’

Prabhupada, you are the one who took that order,

Went worldwide, across every border.

You circled the globe fourteen times in a twelve year span,

Undaunted by advancing age, from Vrndavana to Teheran,

L.A. to Lucknow to London,

Fiji to Puri to Perth,

DC, Detroit; Denver, Durban and Dallas.

Krishna’s mercy to all the Earth.

To Chicago’s former YMCA

Via O’Hare Krishna Airport,

Where this fallen soul saw your lotus feet

And felt the weight of your purports.

Philly to the Philippines,

And everywhere in between.

To Maryland, Cleveland, Auckland, Portland,

And many other Lands,

You sanctified each place you went

And fulfilled Gauranga’s plan.

You planted seeds of bhakti

Each and everywhere you trod.

They fructify and multiply

To this day and beyond.

You opened a hundred and eight centers,

Oases from the confusion

Of Kali’s degradations

And Maya’s gross delusions.

You wrote and published eighty books,

A cultural presentation

To bring peace, friendship and prosperity

To all future generations.

Respiritualization of whole human society,’

You planned for their salvation.

And as Krishna’s World Acarya,

You’ve given the foundation.

But how to guide the broad society?

You say varnasrama is the key.

So how do we get from here to there?

This we still seek to see.

We beg from you the wisdom

And the strength to bring the essence

Of your vision to the masses.

Oh, we so much miss your manifest presence!

Prabhupada, you gave us everything we need to go back to Godhead:

Transcendental knowledge, the holy name, Deities, kirtana and prasadam,

A society of devotees, principles to live by, a purpose in life … we got ‘em.

So how can we repay you? In reality, no way.

Still let me attempt, I pray.

Please make me your instrument. Purify my heart.

Let today be a new start

To give myself to your divine service and make my life complete.

With all the humility I can muster, I fall down at your lotus feet.”

Bhima Dasa:

Srila Prabhupada, we have this rare human form of life, and we need your loving guidance to make it successful. In so many lives, we failed to remember Krishna at the time of death. But this time, we are holding tightly to your lotus feet, with the great hope that we will pass the test at the time of death, when all our devotional activities will be tested.”

Mrtyuhara Dasa:

How could it not have been a decisive turning point the moment I met you?

Everything changed. Nothing was as it had been before

The activities that had seemed dead became alive.

Thoughts turned into hope.

The search ended, with all the satisfaction that fills the heart after meeting you.

Life took an inconceivable turn.

Everything we had dreamed of as hippies immediately manifested in the purest reality.

All the desires for a different world, a world made for all of us, truly existed and were manifesting before our eyes.

Enough with boring activities. Enough with senseless actions.

Finally, it was time to say: it is happening.

Yes, something unimaginable was happening.

From that day I understood that my life finally had a direction.”

Sukhavaha Devi Dasi:

Never wanting to control or manipulate,

Rather longing to encourage and validate.

Infusing our hearts by inculcating

The devotional truths you were emanating.”

Guiding not by dictation or domination;

Your kindness and love was our motivation.

Chanting and dancing...healthy stimulation,

Protecting us from repeated transmigration.”

I pray my dear Father not to imitate;

Rather to deeply assimilate

Your loving lessons of appreciation,

To pass them on to the next generation.”

Sandamini Devi Dasi:

Your movement is growing in every direction

Spreading like sunshine with warm affection

Uniting hearts with a shared connection.

The devotees work hard without objection.

You guide us forward with hope and reflection

Building a community with love & protection

Their spirits align, free from dejection

Creating a world filled with Divine perfection.

It all started with one great sage

Traveling abroad at an advanced age

With firm faith and books to set the stage

In a land of distressed youth to engage.

You empowered us with your merciful gaze

To reach conditioned souls in countless ways

Extinguishing effects of the material blaze

Extracting from Maya’s bewildering maze.

You set the example for all to follow

Without your books, our lives would be hollow

In depths of ignorance we’d only wallow

Leaving your mission? That’s hard to swallow.

I’m in the sunset of my years

I feel no loss, I shed no tears

I’m happily serving amongst my peers

With only progress, and never fears.

You paved the clear path for our journey back,

Providing us everything; nothing we lack.

May we remain steady and never grow slack,

With hearts well-protected from every attack.

Soon the final test will come

As it does for everyone.

By your grace, this world is overcome,

And the prize to go back home is finally won.”

Mahakala Dasa:

I must admit that the more I think of your perfect example as an Acarya, as a sadhaka, as a spiritual father, as a thinker, as a writer, the more I tend to believe that there is no room for despondency and doubt!”

Samapriya Devi Dasi:

My dear Srila Prabhupada

You are our constant inspiration

for contemplation,

on emancipation and eternal liberation.

Saving us from the tribulation

of mundane interpretation

and mental speculation!

And though we are unqualified,

still we are not disqualified…”

Karnapura Dasa:

I have watched the way you speak—not to impress, but to awaken. I have watched the way you see—not the surface, but the hidden flame in every being. And I have felt, perhaps for the first time, what it means to be guided without being controlled, corrected without being diminished, loved without being possessed.”

You have become, for me, a compass that does not shout,

a light that does not blind,

a presence that asks for nothing and yet transforms everything.”

Dayanidhi Dasa:

Every year is more exciting to write to you because I feel closer and closer to you.”

From the garbage of this planet you cultivated roses and lotus flowers. From the vagabonds you bring out saints.”

Mahavishnupriya dasi:

During your visit in Hawaii, we marveled at the high quality of so many sincere devotees that have come to ISKCON, attracted by your books and preaching. You predicted this when you mentioned to us, ‘Those who come to this movement after you, will be far more advanced than you, because they will understand the pure, perfect example without ever having seen it.’”

Narakantaka Dasa:

O’ Prabhupada, our dear Lord,

If we could but reflect

That true compassion you have poured;

Even a tiny speck.”

So many truly need saving!

Make us become your rays,

To sate Lord Sri Krishna’s craving

For souls to join His plays.”

You are the Lord’s compassion’s form,

So powerful! So strong!

You drag lost souls just like a storm

To where they do belong.”

Jagannathesvari Devi Dasi:

You taught us to use our brains to develop novel strategies for spreading Krishna consciousness. When you started up in America, you never tried to impose Indian culture on Western people. That’s how you became successful. Let us follow in your footsteps by stepping out of our comfort zone and into others' comfort zones, finding personalised ways to share Krishna with them. I hope and pray to continue serving you by advancing your mission in whatever way I am able until my last breath.”

Atitaguna Devi Dasi:

I feel that when I read your books you are taking me into the spiritual world.”

Cakri Dasa:

You have given us the opportunity to assist you, and be an instrument in your mission. That is also your mercy. I pray that whatever time I have left, I can assist you in your most glorious mission to re-spiritualize the world with Krishna consciousness.”

Vaikunthadeva Dasa:

Although I had been searching in earnest for the truth for a few years, reading every spiritual and quasi-spiritual book I could get my hands on, including the Bible, Torah, and a number of touted books on yoga and meditation, nothing even scratched the surface of my deeply disturbed consciousness. I was more certain than ever that I was truly defective in every way — life had become a meaningless sequence of painful experiences — and that there likely was no God, nor did I feel I belonged here. And then I read your words!

Everything changed that night! With your Bhagavad-gita, for the first time in my life, I knew I held the truth in my hands, and eventually, after many years, in my heart. Up until then, I had been a distracted reader, sometimes reading a page of a textbook, or some other treatise about yoga and consciousness, only to realize when I got to the bottom of a page that I had already just read that same page moments before!

Each time I reached for your Gita, however, it was as though the Supreme Personality of Godhead was speaking directly to me, His words bypassing my addled brain completely and penetrating the deepest levels of my consciousness. I was inhaling entire pages at a time, the words seemingly jumping off the page and directly into my heart! And, for the first time ever in my life, I had no doubt! Knowingness permeated my being.

During this period, I had numerous mystical experiences in which I would feel completely puzzled by some thought or experience; I would reach for the Gita for answers, and the exact explanation that completely satisfied me would be in the purport on the very page I opened it to! And that happened too many times to have been a coincidence! And this is only one aspect of your mystical potencies; to directly channel the Supreme Personality of Godhead’s words onto the page and penetrate readers’ hearts.”

Jayagurudeva Dasa:

Indeed, it was this profound, transcendental humility that distinguished you from any person I have ever met in my life.”

Syamasundara Dasa (1977):

On the night of December 24, 1994, I was reading Hari-sauri Prabhu’s wonderful book Transcendental Diary; I was feeling very sorry for myself that I was not able to get your association like Hari-sauri and Harikesa Prabhus. I wondered what offense I had committed in a previous life to be deprived of your association, and I cried myself to sleep. That night I had a wonderful dream where I was standing next to you in Vrndavana, fanning you while you sat. You motioned to me, and when I leaned over, you kissed me on the cheek like a grandfather would kiss a small child! I was immediately shocked into wakefulness, and I then realized that I should not lament about not getting any material association with you because you were always present and lovingly watching over me and all of your 5000 disciples like a grandfather.”

Matsya Avatar Dasa:

All that I had learned in my profession — the ability to design, to communicate, to organize — has found its true perfection in your service. What once nourished my personal affirmation has become an instrument of your mission.”

I humbly pray that you may kindly allow me to continue to serve you, with a clearer mind, a more humble heart, and an ever purer intention.”

Gopimata Devi Dasi:

We continuously look forward to achieving some kind of satisfaction, but are led more and more deeply into a dark, tangled path of frustration and distraction from that which would bring real contentment. While here, we are subjected to a constant supply of propaganda encouraging us to identify with this or that material desire, designation or belief. This material vision encourages us to see other living entities as either objects for our exploitation or else as enemies to be cut down.”

How fortunate that you have given us another perspective. You are a fully realized servant of Lord Krishna and truly have equal vision. You have compassion for every participant in the drama. You see our spot life here as a blip in eternal time. You see how every suffering or moment of relief is part of a potentially endless chain of karma. You not only have this perfect vision, but are fully empowered to give effective directions out of this mess.”

Insights

Srila Prabhupada:

From Srimad-Bhagavatam 7.15.45:

As long as one has to accept a material body, with its different parts and paraphernalia, which are not fully under one’s control, one must have the lotus feet of his superiors, namely his spiritual master and the spiritual master's predecessors. By their mercy, one can sharpen the sword of knowledge, and with the power of the Supreme Personality of Godhead’s mercy one must then conquer the enemies mentioned above. In this way, the devotee should be able to merge into his own transcendental bliss, and then he may give up his body and resume his spiritual identity.”

From a letter to Krishna Dasa from September 9, 1972:

You mentioned that your pathway has become filled with stumbling blocks, but there are no stumbling blocks, I can kick out all those stumbling blocks immediately, provided you accept my guidance. With one stroke of my kick I can kick out all stumbling blocks.”

We should never give up our duty. My godbrothers always discouraged me but I did not give up, I am doing my duty and always keeping my spiritual master in front. Even there is some difficulty or hardship, or even my godbrothers may not cooperate or there may be fighting, still, I must perform my duty to my spiritual master and not become discouraged and go away, that is my weakness.”

Satsvarupa Dasa Goswami:

From Writing Sessions in Cozzile:

You praise Krishna at all timesin climes and chimes of words”

All glories to the Lord who taught

the dvija-patnis one way and taught

the gopis in another. ‘Go home,’ He said

to one and they did. Go home, He said to

the others and they did not.”

As my master did, I’ll get up at midnight and write. I cannot do so many things, but this is something I can do.”

For now you love your service. In the advanced stage, one loves Krishna. I don’t love Krishna just so I can write about Him but for Himself.”

Srila Prabhupada was very pleased with me for feeling and speaking, ‘Life is hellish without Krishna.’ It was printed in the Boston magazine.”

it takes a lot of attention to one thing all these years to make poems that will turn people around, enter their hearts like an arrow and cause their heads to spin.

It’s special counting holy names. They are so kind they are ready for you to take them up at any moment.”

Let more books of mine come out, and let them work to help people.”

Live for serving the guru, and do it all with priti, with love and pleasure.”

One wishes he had the best possible dreams, but what can you do? We are impure in so many ways.”

I’m very grateful for the services I can perform.”

It can be that you sincerely try to help yourself clear away fog by writing.”

From A Litany for the Gone:

Subjective reality is also a kind of reality and has as much right to be expressed as objective truths. In Krishna consciousness, devotees relate to Krishna and Krishna to His devotees according to subjective feeling. Subjective feeling means the relationship is based on love.”

I have also remarked that if the readers have their own versions and impressions of the time I am describing, then they can tell their own stories. This is my story.”

I simply do what I can. There are enough savage critics who say the ISKCON gurus are bogus traitors against Srila Prabhupada, etc. I don’t need to add to their harangue. I would rather prove them wrong.”

There are three or four persons who are uninitiated. They are making obeisances when they see me. I read in class the statements explaining the new procedures of initiating gurus. An essay by Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Ṭhakura wonderfully explained it.

When a boy makes obeisances and says my name, I am utterly incapable of becoming grave enough. The gravity required is to be immeasurably deep—guru. How can I reach that depth? I have no credit of austerity or purity to do so. I simply wait, cringe—pray, desire to be truly situated. But there is no chance I can do so. My hope is that Krishna will come through me to the disciple. It is authorized by Srila Prabhupada. I am his servant, therefore, it is not bogus.”

I am the best one to do it,I am the one who will write the storyof the disciples who left.Let them not write that Ileft or failed them,those apostates.I am still here.”

Why does a devotee leave? When I asked Srila Prabhupada why Rayarama left, he said, ‘He was not serious.’ We can become serious at any point of our life, when maya kicks us extra hard or we suddenly remember that we were better off when we were remembering Krishna.”

Young people come into the movement and leave it through the big revolving door. In and out. A pure devotee goes on preaching and worshiping regardless. If someone comes in, then revolves out, then comes in again, great. But why does he come back, to disturb us? To bring new ideas into the society of devotees? He must surrender to guru and Krishna to live with us. Otherwise, he should go and live his life as he thinks best.”

Perhaps I will be able to remind people who have left the Krishna consciousness movement as well as those who have not left—and even those who have not yet joined—that Krishna consciousness is human. We are fallible. But it elevates us and offers us a straight path to eternal life.”

Srila Prabhupada wrote to me regarding a visit I’d made in my then-GBC zone of the south U.S.A., ‘As for the devotees in your zone, encourage them more and more.’”

It’s hard to stay a devotee for life. When life hands you a rough deal, you are likely to blame ISKCON, the devotees, even Prabhupada and Krishna. You spin back out into the material world.”

Please come back. Krishna consciousness is waiting for you. All the promises of your youth are still here. Krishna did not cheat you, and Prabhupada holds a place for you in Krishna’s kingdom. What good will you derive from roaming throughout the material world? You know better. You hit on reality when you discovered the devotees in Manhattan. Please take that jewel out from your past, dust it off, and hold it up to the light. It is the rarest gem, that Krishna consciousness you discovered when you were young. See? It’s still yours for the keeping.”

I don’t know all jivas, but I was given charge of a batch of them. I brashly rushed in, volunteered to become the sole initiating guru for vast geographical areas. A few hundred took dikṣa from me. How can I wash my hands of my responsibility to them? Yet I can’t even recall some of them. Still, I see the name on a list, and I accept that I initiated him or her. Therefore, I pray to Lord Krishna as is my duty.”

Remind them that whatever has happened since their initiation doesn’t change the fact that they took vows before Krishna in His sacred temple. The truth is that through their vows, the initiates received the opportunity to free themselves from maya’s shackles and become free of saṁsara. If they have given up their vows for whatever reason, they can still take them up again.”

What is the point in saying in my literary voice that I hope they come back to me? I mean I would like to see them at meetings and walks and kirtanas in Mayapura, at seminars and parikramas and at rooftop feasts in Vrindavana. I would like to get to know them again through their services and by hearing what they are doing, offering my suggestions, and giving my good wishes. It would be nice if some of them discovered that the best of me is in my books, the books that have been coming out all these years and which they have never read.”

The vows become a restriction. They’re difficult to follow unless we agree to follow them and understand that they will help us achieve the ultimate goal (sreyas). If all we are in touch with is our immediate desires (preyas), then the vows don’t feel like the ‘regulative principles of freedom.’ We feel straight-jacketed. We resent whatever is holding us back.”

If we want to ‘bring them back,’ there’s not much we can do actively, and nothing aggressively. Krishna allows everyone their free will. The best thing I can think of is to make our own commitment to Krishna consciousness as honest and deep as possible. Aspire for purity. It will help others indirectly and directly if we who stay are not unreal, dogmatic, uptight, but satisfied after twenty or thirty years. And it happens. We eventually relax. Maybe that will help others come around and take it up seriously—no hype, no trips—we’re honest folks. We like Krishna consciousness and it is sublime. I think you will agree that life is hellish without Krishna.”

Janananda Goswami:

From a class on Balarama Purnima in New Mayapur on August 27, 2026:

Srila Prabhupada was very personal. He would reply to letters almost immediately.

All the pastimes of the Lord are fun and are arrangements by yogamaya.

Balarama removes ignorance through His representative, the spiritual master.

If we are willling to follow the process our ignorance will be removed.

We put our heart and soul into the process, and by the mercy of the Lord the darkness is removed.

We used to chant “Gurvastakam” three times a day, morning, noon, and evening. We did not have the Gaura Arati song in the beginning.

The Lord has unlimited expansions through His first expansion Lord Balarama.

Just as there are colors we do not know about there as expansions of the Lord we are unaware of them.

Mostly Krishna was killing demons, but Dhenukasura was the first demon killed by Balarama.

Every day we would have classes on Srimad-Bhagavatam, Bhagavad-gita, Isopanisad, Nectar of Devotion, and Krishna book.

Dhenukasura was preventing others from using fruits in the forest, but he did not use them himself.

The neophytes are always near a fight.

Comment by Madhavendra Puri Prabhu: Duryodhana would sing the names of Lord Balarama every day.

Lord Balarama is teaching us how to perfectly serve Lord Krishna.

Lord Balarama did not want to see the Battle of Kurukshetra since his disciple, Duryodhana, was on one side, and Krishna and Arjuna were on the side. Thus, he went on pilgrimage to sacred places.

We may be in a big position but we still show respect to every living entity.

Bhaktivinoda explains that the Krishna’s pastimes were performed to give pleasure to His devotees in Vrindavan.

Srila Prabhupada said that Krishna performed so many pastimes to give us something to think about. Otherwise we just think about nonsense.

Bhaktivinoda explains one must personally work to remove the anarthas represented by the demons killed by Balarama.

Anuttama Prabhu:

Sociologists say that although people often people give other reasons for joining a religion when they study it closely it is social reasons rather than philosophical or spiritual reasons that are more powerful.

We have to be careful not to become an ethnic church, like the Polish Catholic Church or the Lithuanian Catholic Church, where others do not feel welcome.

Srila Prabhupada did not come to start the Lower East Side Society for Krishna Consciousness or the Bengali Society for Krishna Consciousness.

Sometimes one spouse is attacted to Krishna consciousness, but the other is not. Let’s say the wife is attracted but the husband is not. If the husband can befriend someone at the temple, that will benefit him. He will not think “I am just coming here because my wife is forcing me.”

One thing young people today are concerned about is authenicity.

A lot of people give up hope in any kind of spirituality because they see there is too much hypocrisy.

Vasusrestha Prabhu:

The incident with Manigriva and Nalakuvara occurred in Dvarapa-yuga.

Narada Muni facilitates Krishna’s pastimes, sometimes in a very unusual way, such as the way he assisted in the liberation of Manigriva and Nalakuvara.

Krishna can do many things at once. He does not have to do one thing at a time.

Krishna can be controlled by the love of his pure devotees, and thus we have to become committed to the path of purification.

Jagai and Madhai put Manigriva and Nalakuvara to the shame by the extent of their sinful activities.

Srila Prabhupada came to Australia five or six times. The first time I saw him I was not so impressed. I thought he was not for me. The second time I saw him I asked him a question. He replied in such a way as to say, “Why haven’t you joined yet?” As I result of that, I took it seriously, and the next time he came I got initiated. That was his last visit, so I was fortunate.

Q: Here Manigriva and Nalakuvara were very bad, but they got the mercy. Does that mean if we are bad, we may get the mercy?

A: Someone asked Srila Prabhupada that question and he said, “Don’t count on it!”

The worst thing is to have resentment in your heart about this person, that person, and other person.

Bhagavata Dasi:

From a conversation at harinama in Mayapur:

I started going on harinama by myself in Belfast. I decided I had to get a higher taste.

In the West we are very much unqualified, but if we please Srila Prabhupada by helping him to spread his movement, we can attain all success.

Bhakta Jeff:

From a conversation:

I trust Ayurveda more than the FDA.

Prabhupada Katha Program

Translation of a Bengali brahmacari speaker:

Hearing Nanda Maharaja had a son, the Vrajavasis in celebration threw yogurt and butter on each others bodies the next day, as Krishna was born at midnight. Prabhupada appeared on the anniversary of that day in 1896.

At his birth, it was predicted he would cross the ocean and start 108 temples. Learning that his son was a special soul, his father, Gour Mohan, treated him with respect.

Srila Prabhupada gave a bunch of money to a panda in Vrindavan, saying that it is the duty of those who visit the holy places to give a donation to the local priests. My disciples were not aware of this, so I am giving this money to you. Please forgive them.

Let us take shelter of Srila Prabhupada’s instructions and follow them and go back to Godhead.

Translation of Bengali grhastha speaker:

Srila Prabhupada as a disciple of his guru, would very attentively hear his lectures, and his guru noted this.

The secretaries of Sumati Mooraji did not grant an interview with her to Srila Prabhupada, so he waited four hours for her to come out of her office. Because he patient waited for those four years, we are here today.

If we depend on Krishna, Krishna will take care of us. We learn this from Srila Prabhupada’s like.

Grhastha who has been a devotee for 40 years and serving ISKCON Mayapur for 30 years, beginning in 1996 in donations:

Srila Prabhupada is an important personality in all of our lives.

From Srila Prabhupada’s books we can understand we have to come out from the control of material nature and its modes. We have to become purified.

Sense gratification is serving our own senses. Devotional service is serving Krishna’s senses.

That Krishna is Radha-kanta is the highest spiritual understanding.

Our fortune begins when we realize that our real problems are birth, death, disease, and old age.

Mataji:

[Joined Mayapur in 1989.]

Srila Prabhupada, you are a spritual visionary. You saw a great city in Mayapur, where people from all over the world would come together.

When I see here in Mayapur devotees from all over the world, deities, festivals, etc., I think that you envisioned all this before anyone else saw it.

Vraja Vilas Prabhu:

Our only prayer is that Jayapataka Swami will return to Mayapur fully recovered to celebrate the opening of the TOVP.

-----

It is always good to remember this verse spoken by Krishna, which Srila Prabhupada said gives the real peace formula:

bhoktaram yajña-tapasam

sarva-loka-mahesvaram
suhrdam sarva-bhutanam
jñatva mam santim rcchati

A person in full consciousness of Me, knowing Me to be the ultimate beneficiary of all sacrifices and austerities, the Supreme Lord of all planets and demigods, and the benefactor and well-wisher of all living entities, attains peace from the pangs of material miseries.” (Bhagavad-gita 5.29)