Monday, September 03, 2018

Travel Journal#14.16: The North of England and Edinburgh

Diary of a Traveling Sadhaka, Vol. 14, No. 16 
By Krishna-kripa das 
(August 2018, part two) 
The North of England and Edinburgh 
(Sent from Mayapur on Janmastami 2018)

Where I Went and What I Did

After the York Ratha-yatra on August 14, I did harinama in Newcastle for two days, where we had the great fortune to have the association of Janananda Goswami, who joined us on harinama the second day with some of his followers. Then I went to Liverpool for two days to advertise and attend the second annual Liverpool Ratha-yatra. The next day I went with Bhakti Rasa Prabhu to the final day of the Newcastle Retreat, where we got the association of Bhakti Caitanya Swami, Janananda Goswami, and Dayananda Swami. I chanted in Sunderland the day after the Newcastle Retreat with several visiting devotees, and we had prasadam and kirtana at Ramai and Vrinda Prabhu’s home. Then I spent two days in Edinburgh doing two harinamas and an evening program in between. Thursday I chanted with Atul Krishna Caitanya Prabhu in his hometown of Chester-le-Street for almost an hour and a half and then in Newcastle for two more hours with Cami, who has recently moved in to the Newcastle temple. Friday I chanted Hare Krishna in Leeds city center with Mitrasena (known as Mitra) Prabhu, Srila Prabhupada disciple and musician from North Carolina, and Adi-Guru Prabhu, who is driving him around England. Both Saturday and Sunday I chanted Hare Krishna along with six or seven Newcastle devotees on Northumberland Street. On Sunday one family who encountered us on harinama came to the Sunday feast that very day, which was a special festival for Lord Balarama’s appearance, with Mitra Prabhu as our guest speaker. Three other new guests also came that evening. Monday I chanted Hare Krishna in York city center with Mitra and Adi-Guru Prabhus, along with Govardhan and Nitaicand Prabhus from Scarborough and local York devotees. That night Jaya Krishna and Kanwar chanted with me in Sheffield at Kanwar’s and Madhavi Dasi’s home. The next two days I chanted Hare Krishna in downtown Manchester and advertised the Ratha-yatra to be held there on September 15. The two days after that I chanted Hare Krishna with devotees in Liverpool to promote the monthly program the last Friday in the month of August. After that evening program I took a train to York to attend our program there the first Saturday in September, just the next day.

I share many excerpts from the Srimad-Bhagavatam lectures of Srila Prabhupada and a quote from one of his Srimad-Bhagavatam purports. I share insights from Bhaktivinoda Thakura’s Jaiva Dharma. I share quotes by the humble servants of Srila Prabhupada from the Tenth Canto of Srimad-Bhagavatam. I share notes on classes the final day of the Newcastle Retreat by Bhakti Caitanya Swami and Dayananda Swami. I share notes on a recorded lecture by Radhanath Swami on Lord Balarama. I share insights by Mitra Prabhu from his spiritual discussion in Leeds and his Sunday feast lecture on Lord Balarama’s appearance day in Newcastle. I share reflections by some of those who attended the Newcastle Retreat which remind us of the value of associating with devotees.

Thanks to the Newcastle temple for their kind donation. Thanks to the Indian man who gave me a donation at the Liverpool Ratha-yatra. Thanks to Sujiv Deb and his brother for their kind donations. Thanks to Karthick and another member of the Edinburgh congregation for their kind donations. Thanks to Satya Medha Gauranga Prabhu for his kind donations of laksmi and food. Thanks to Sheena for her generous donations of laksmi and food. Thanks to Kanwar and Madhavi Dasi for driving, prasadam, accommodation, and a donation. Thanks to Prema Sankirtana Prabhu for fixing my harmonium and for his donation of foreign currency. Thanks to the Manchester temple for their kind donation. Thanks to Vrinda Devi Dasi and Vishnupriya Devi Dasi for the great meals.

Thanks to Ananda Vrindavan Dasi for her videos and photos of us chanting Hare Krishna in Sunderland. Thanks to Vajendra Nananda Prabhu for his videos of us chanting in Sunderland. Thanks to Rukmini Devi Dasi (Rima) for the videos and photos of our harinama in Edinburgh. Thanks to Rianne Gargan for the brief video of Mitra and Adi-Guru Prabhus and myself in Leeds. Thanks to Satya Medha Gauranga Prabhu and his son, Bhanu, for their photos of our Newcastle harinamas. Thanks also to Satya for allowing me to use his camera to take videos. Thanks to Peeter Aitai, a Liverpool photographer, for his photos of us chanting Hare Krishna there.

Itinerary

[After a challenging spring and summer of visiting many places, I look forward to a simpler schedule for the rest of 2018.]

September 3–28: Mayapur
September 29: Newcastle harinama
September 30: Dublin harinamas and Sunday feast lecture
October 1–January 5, 2019: New York City Yuga Dharma Harinama Party

Chanting Hare Krishna in Newcastle

I was happy that devotees joined me on harinama both days I was in Newcastle. In particular, Janananda Goswami, and some of the devotees visiting him, joined me the second day. He was so determined that books be distributed that many more books went out that day, although the collections were almost the same both days.

Chanting Hare Krishna in Liverpool

It was good that we distributed fliers for the Liverpool Ratha-yatra the day before there as we chanted Hare Krishna. We met many nice people. The kirtan was a little spaced out because of the focus on distribution and the cold windy weather, but still the holy name was vibrated and people benefited.

Liverpool Ratha-yatra


On the whole the Hare Krishnas are well liked in Liverpool, the home of the Beatles.

This year’s Lord Mayor joined the procession.

I distributed invitations to the festival and danced.

We had a menu to attract people and inform them about the prasadam.

A crowd enjoyed prasadam while watching the stage show.

Onlookers joined in the dancing to the stage kirtans later.

Newcastle Retreat

This is first Newcastle Retreat I attended although I have had a relationship with the Newcastle temple for many years. Often the retreats were at a bad time for me. Once Janananda Goswami said he would rather have me do harinama than attend the retreat. This time he said I could come, but I wanted to advertise the Liverpool Ratha-yatra and attend it because it is in the region of England that I visit, it is an important city, and I am friends with the organizers, thus I only caught the last day of the Newcastle Retreat.

Hearing the reflections of the devotees, some of which I share below, I could understand they were really inspired because of the retreat. Being so inspired several devotees who were at the retreat attended the Sunday feast in Newcastle just a couple of hours after the retreat was over, and they participated with full enthusiasm. Also five devotees who were on the retreat were inspired to join me for over two hours of harinama in Sunderland the next day.

Chanting Hare Krishna in Sunderland


MASSIVE SAVINGS – “The fruits ripened and became sweet and nectarean. The gardener, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, distributed them without asking any price. All the wealth in the three worlds cannot equal the value of one such nectarean fruit of devotional service. Not considering who asked for it and who did not, nor who was fit and who unfit to receive it, Caitanya Mahaprabhu distributed the fruit of devotional service. The transcendental gardener, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, distributed handful after handful of fruit in all directions, and when the poor, hungry people ate the fruit, the gardener smiled with great pleasure.” (Sri Caitanya-caritamrita, Adi-lila 9.27–30)

On the Monday after the Newcastle retreat we had a great harinama with seven devotees in Sunderland! Vrajendra Nandana, Varsha, Vrishni, Ananda Vrindavan, Kirti Kumari, and Cami Prabhus all joined me! 

Five of them were staying with Ramai Prabhu, who encouraged them to go out.

We displayed books, and here I played harmonium in accompaniment.

Vrajendra Nandana Prabhu distributed books as well.

Here are some video clips of devotees chanting Hare Krishna in Sunderland. The lady in the first clip requested that we sing the traditional Hare Krishna tune she recalled from over 20 years ago. The manager of the cafe in front of our party in the last clip told Vrajendra Nandana Prabhu that we should sing there more often because we filled their need for entertainment. Apparently it is very boring there, and we added a lot of life (https://youtu.be/OPctioMa5V4):


Here Ananda Vrindavan Dasi chants Hare Krishna in Sunderland, and a young man who watched our party for a while, after talking with Vrajendra Nandana Prabhu, tries chanting the Hare Krishna mantra for the first time (https://youtu.be/Bq8X7PGnXCs):


After harinama we all had prasadam at Vrinda’s and Ramai’s house, along with Keshavananda Prabhu, who drove half of us there after work. Then we played the videos we took of harinama and took turns chanting Hare Krishna in their temple room for the pleasure of their deities. It was so ecstatic it was as if we extended the Newcastle Retreat another day!

Chanting Hare Krishna in Edinburgh

The first day I chanted in Edinburgh the weather defied the predictions of mostly cloudy with a 5% chance of rain. It was raining when I set up, but then it cleared up and became so sunny I got sunburned!

My most exciting encounter was with a young Russian lady who knew many Hare Krishnas from Russia and who had attended a Hare Krishna program there. She gave £1, and I offered her a book, and she accepted it reluctantly because did not feel she had given enough. Later she stopped by and gave another £2 or £3. She also expressed interested in knowing about our programs, and I gave her phone number to both Rukmini Devi Dasi and Suparno.

The second day we chanted late in the day at 5:30 p.m. so devotees could join us after work. Devotees from five families joined me, and we had a total of about fourteen people, including three kids, and six of us sang part of the time. I chanted the last hour and a quarter by myself. An Indian family who visits our temple in Watford gave a donation, and an Oriental family, headed a by lady wearing Vaishnava tilaka who was a life member, gave a donation and accepted the book called Veda. When I was chanting alone, a man interested in spiritual ideas who had a friend who had done an exhibition on Bhagavad-gita, purchased a copy of Srila Prabhupada’s Gita, from me. Thus it turned out to be the best harinama I was ever involved in organizing in Edinburgh in terms of attendance and donations received.

I led the chanting of Hare Krishna at one point (https://youtu.be/OmRk3lOHUWc):


Rukmini Devi Dasi (formerly Rima) from Lithuania, who has been trying to promote Krishna consciousness in Edinburgh for several years chanted Hare Krishna nicely (https://youtu.be/Ez1xLVXblPE):


Satthik, just five-years-old, the youngest member of the Deb family of Bangladesh who have Hare Krishna programs at their home every Tuesday, chanted Hare Krishna amazing well for someone so young (https://youtu.be/BzVLLvd466o)!


Chanting Hare Krishna in Chester-le-Street

I like to encourage Atul Krishna Caitanya Prabhu, life-long resident of Chester-le-Street, situated between Newcastle and Durham, by chanting Hare Krishna in his town at least once a year. Because of health issues it is hard for him to visit the temple in Newcastle, but he is almost always ready to join me when I chant on the streets of his hometown. This time I hoped to have a couple more devotees, but they could not make it so it was just the two of us. I was pleasantly surprised to see he now has his own clay mrdanga, which he was playing when I arrived. Usually we just sing there for an hour, but this time we sang for an hour and a half. People donated £17.16 and took four books. It was truly inspiring.

In fact, Atul Krishna Caitanya Prabhu was so inspired he thanked me on Facebook and announced, “From today there will be a regular weekly Harinam in Chester-le-Street. Next week it will be Thursday between 12.30 till 1.30 pm. At the moment there will be just myself, but, if any of the Vaishnavas in the area would like to join me I’ll be very happy. Hare Krishna. Haribol.”

When I wrote his guru, Janananda Goswami, he replied, “Fabulous – so happy to hear – thank you – hope that harinama can carry on in CLS. Send my blessings and thanks to Atul KC.”

Later Prema Sankirtana Prabhu told me that he will go every week to assist Atul in that harinama.

It would be absolutely wonderful if whenever I chanted with some devotees on harinama in their towns, they would be inspired to make harinama a regular occurrence there!

Chanting Hare Krishna in Newcastle

I returned by train from Chester-le-Street to Newcastle, where Cami, a college-aged girl involved with Krishna consciousness for a year, chanted with me for two hours. While we were chanting it rained three times. Later when I complained to a friend, he said, “You mean it stopped raining three times!”

Chanting Hare Krishna in Leeds with Mitrasena and Adi-Guru Prabhus

I was excited to learn that Mitrasena Prabhu, a Prabhupada disciple from North Carolina who is a great musician, was traveling around England with Adi-Guru Prabhu. Their first engagement in the north was in Leeds. As I like to do harinama in Leeds anyway, I came three and a half hours early to have time to chant on Briggate Street before the program. Unfortunately because of traffic, their three-hour journey from Watford took five hours, and I ended up chanting two and a half hours by myself. During that time, it rained five times, or should I say, it stopped raining five times, thus making Leeds tie with Belfast for the award of being the rainiest city I have ever chanted in.

I met three people interested enough in our Leeds programs to take down the phone number of the devotee in charge.

A group of three Muslim ladies and a girl took photos and listened briefly to the chanting, and each of them gave a donation. One praised the sound of the singing. I said to her, “You are very pure.” How else could she find joy in my chanting?

Later while Mitra was singing, two of the same Muslim ladies walked by again with the same girl, and the girl gave another donation.

Mitra Prabhu played a homemade stringed instrument fashioned from an olive oil can and led a Hare Krishna chant in Leeds while Adi-Guru Prabhu played karatalas and I danced. This brief video was taken by a passerby named Rianne Gargan, who shared it with me by email (https://youtu.be/6BBGbiTiopY):


I felt sorry for Mitra that only two people came to the program. That is one of the smallest attendances I have ever seen. That it was a three-day weekend and many people were away must have been a contributing factor.

Mitra summarized the first four chapters of Srimad-Bhagavatam and spoke on an important verse from Chapter Five, text 18, “Persons who are actually intelligent and philosophically inclined should endeavor only for that purposeful end which is not obtainable even by wandering from the topmost planet [Brahmaloka] down to the lowest planet [Patala]. As far as happiness derived from sense enjoyment is concerned, it can be obtained automatically in course of time, just as in course of time we obtain miseries even though we do not desire them.”

Then we had a lively kirtana.

We ate dinner in a restaurant called Hansa run by Gujaratis who cooked preparations without onion and garlic especially for us. When Adi-Guru Prabhu went to pay, they said the meal was on the house. Adi-Guru gave them some first-class incense from his incense business in reciprocation.

Chanting Hare Krishna in Newcastle

I was so happy that on Saturday seven devotees from the Newcastle area sang with me on Northumberland Street.

Sunday six devotees joined me. 

The sankirtana is so lively with many devotees!

On Sunday, which happened to be Lord Balarama’s Appearance Day, one lady who had experimented with meditation and whose husband visited ISKCON London on Soho Street stopped to talk. The lady, whose kid was in a stroller, was saying that she wanted to get back to meditation again. We told the couple about our Sunday program, and they said they would try to come after getting some lunch.

I borrowed Satya Medha Gauranga Prabhu’s phone to take some videos of the different devotees who chanted on our Balarama festival day harinama. To avoid the light rain, we took shelter of the awning above a Superdrug shop, a reminder that Lord Caitanya is the supreme physician and the congregational chanting of the holy name of the Lord is His ultimate remedy for our disease of chronic materialism.

Satya Medha Gauranga Prabhu chants Hare Krishna in Newcastle on Northumberland Street on Lord Balarama's Appearance Day (https://youtu.be/KuVmdM7FLy4):


Vishnu Priya Devi Dasi chants Hare Krishna on Northumberland Street (https://youtu.be/QaktOzHEwOE):


Prema Sankirtana Prabhu chants Hare Krishna on Northumberland Street (https://youtu.be/3Pkcg0vOz6g):


Lord Balarama’s Appearance Day Festival in Newcastle

Six guests came to the temple for the first time on Lord Balarama’s appearance day: a family of three we met on harinama earlier in the day, a young Indian couple, and Natalie, who had walked past the temple many times but found it closed. They all had a good time.

Mitra Prabhu interviewed Natalie of Newcastle, who shares her experience (https://youtu.be/R90q3mWibpo):


Dhananjaya Prabhu cooked an amazing feast which was highlighted by a wonderful curd sabji, three desserts, and of course, varuni!

Chanting Hare Krishna in York

Mitra and Adi-Guru Prabhu and I drove to York to chant there on Monday, a bank holiday in the UK. Govardhan Devi Dasi of Scarborough impressed me by humbly playing the harmonium for the other singers although she is an awesome singer herself. A few people were attracted. Somehow I did not get it together to borrow a camera and take any videos. Because we got a late start and traffic was backed up, we only chanted for an hour and forty minutes. Normally I would have chanted another hour and twenty minutes myself, but Jaya Krishna Prabhu, who was taking me to Sheffield wanted to get going and by the time we got to Sheffield the streets would be empty.

Chanting Hare Krishna in Sheffield

I was hoping to advertise and attend both the program the last Tuesday of the month and the weekly Wednesday program in Sheffield, however, they were canceled because of lack of a venue. Jaya Krishna Prabhu offered to drive me to Kanwar and Madhavi’s place, where I usually stay when visiting Sheffield, and have kirtan there for half an hour, so we did that. Madhavi had rounds to chant and was not feeling well, but Kanwar fully participated. Kanwar is a Sikh, but he has a nice appreciation of both kirtan and prasadam. Thus we had a little program in Sheffield after all.

While visiting Jaya Krishna Prabhu, I purchased an iPhone for £90 to replace the one I broke three weeks before in Berlin. It was very useful and functioned as a phone, an alarm clock, and a camera, and it had all of Srila Prabhupada’s books on it, and I got tired of missing those facilities. Because I borrowed the previous iPhone from the Yuga Dharma New York City harinama party, I thought I should replace it, and I also wanted to benefit from its usefulness for the five weeks before I return it. A company called I Need a Mobile, which boasts a 99.4% satisfaction rating, sells them on Ebay with a twelve-month warranty and free shipping to the the UK.

Chanting Hare Krishna in Manchester

When I was in Paris, I told Prananath Prabhu, a disciple of Janananda Goswami who I often did harinama with, that I would most likely be in Manchester the last week of August, as he spoke of going there. Thus for that reason and because it is on the way to Liverpool, my next engagement, I went to Manchester and chanted in public for two days. The first day a young bhakta, who regularly distributes books in downtown Manchester, played the karatalas and sang with me for fifteen minutes. He said the experience improved his consciousness. The next day Prananath Prabhu came out with me, as did Raj, a young Indian doctor, who loved to attend our kirtan programs when he lived in the Newcastle temple and who knows how to play several instruments. Prananath Prabhu was happy to experience the bliss of harinama again. That day Raj came back to temple with us for a study of the Introduction to Bhagavad-gita As It Is which happens there on Wednesday evenings.

Chanting Hare Krishna in Liverpool


Several of us chanted Hare Krishna both Thursday and Friday to advertise the program the last Friday of the month in Liverpool. The second day Mark joined us, and Alan joined us for part of the time.

I danced and distributed invitations as usual.

We met many favorable people. One guy we met the first day said he would come to the program, and he actually did. Another guy who was from Preston was intrigued by the chanting and the philosophy. I told him I had a ticket from Preston to Liverpool for the next day that I was not using and that I could give to him if he wanted to come to our program. He said he was going to London the next day, so I gave him an invitation to our daily lunch program there. The first day I took videos of each of the singers with my new iPhone.

Here Alvyra from Lithuania chants Hare Krishna in Liverpool (https://youtu.be/mZ030QMXk7M):


Here Karsna Prabhu chants Hare Krishna (https://youtu.be/FUMBRoQnrBE):


Here Aharada Devi Dasi chants Hare Krishna (https://youtu.be/kRMI8rrPBQ0):


The Liverpool program was advertised to be about the travel adventures of a Hare Krishna monk. I had wanted to talk about Krishna’s appearance since Janmastami was the next week, so I decided to talk about both topics. I explained how Krishna appears to teach dharma and that the purpose of traveling monks is also the same. I showed a playlist of YouTube videos from some of my favorite harinamas called “Memorable Moments on Harinama” (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGerEnGdI0xIv3FbcbKKgHTy7uKE6MtWb): 



Five new people came: three from Facebook, one we met on harinama, and one who attended a Hare Krishna event in another city and who was advised by the devotees about our programs in Liverpool. I talked about how harinama transforms the consciousness of people from demonic to divine, and I gave some examples I had seen and others I had heard of.

All the new people liked the presentation as well as many of the regulars.

The program is now held at the Liverpool Central Library, a modern facility with clean bathrooms, WiFi and facility to project computer presentations on a screen. It is just a few minutes walk both from our chanting spot and the train station. The only challenge is that we have to end early because the library closes at 8:00 p.m. sharp.

The train to York had very few passengers and was thus nice and quiet, and there was free WiFi, so the journey was a rare pleasant experience.

To see pictures I did not include in this blog, click below:

Insights

Srila Prabhupada:

From a class on Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.15.49 on December 26, 1973, in Los Angeles:

“This Hare Krishna movement, this Krishna consciousness movement, is simply educating people so that at the time of death one can remember Krishna. That’s all. . . . And if he is fortunate enough to do this, immediately he is transferred to the Krishnaloka. Immediately, within a second. That is stated in the Bhagavad-gita, tyaktva deham punar janma naiti mam eti kaunteya [Bg. 4.9].
So why we should waste our time thinking so many nonsense things? Why not think of Krishna, how beautiful He is, standing here with Radharani? If we come here and take the impression and simply think of Him, our life is perfect. This is Krishna consciousness. What is the difficulty and what is your loss? If you gain such big profit simply by thinking of Krishna, why should you lose this opportunity, this human form of life? A cat cannot be educated. A dog cannot be educated. If I teach a dog, ‘My dear dog, please think of Krishna,’ he is animal; it is not possible. But a human being, although at the present moment he is like a dog, but he can be trained to become a human being and think of Krishna. That is possible. So we should take the opportunity. Bahunam janmanam ante [Bg. 7.19]. This life is gotten after many, many births. We do not know. We have forgotten. This is the opportunity.”

“Real yoga practice means one becomes so perfect that he will not die natural death. He will die when he likes. He will not be forced to die. When he thinks, ‘Now I am fully prepared. Now I shall leave this planet. I shall go to such-and-such planet, such-and-such loka, he will be immediately transferred. That is yoga practice.”

. . . this Krishna consciousness, bhakti-yoga system, is so easy and perfect that if you simply think of Krishna, and if you become perfect and to think of Krishna at the time of death, then immediately you are transferred to the Krishnaloka.”

“You can be packed up in a box – we have seen it – and you’ll come out. In Bose’s circus, Calcutta, in our childhood, we saw this yogic practice. A man was tied up, hands and legs, put into a bag. The bag was sealed up, again put into a box. The box was locked and sealed. And the man again came out. We have seen. So yogic practice is such. . . . But still, that is all material power. That is not spiritual power. The real spiritual power is that you give up this body, you give up this material world, go to the spiritual world, go back to home, back to Godhead. That is your perfection, and that is very easily obtained by this Krishna consciousness attitude.”

From a class on Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.15.50 on December 27, 1973, in Los Angeles:

“The necessity of spirit soul, because it is part and parcel of Krishna, he is hankering to unite with Krishna. That is Krishna consciousness movement. That is Krishna conscious. . . . The soul is hankering after uniting with the supreme soul.”

From a class on Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.15.51 on December 28, 1973, in Los Angeles:

“You can find God everywhere if you have got eyes to see. But the real business is not to see. God wants to see you, what you are working for God. That He wants to see. To see God is not very difficult business. Anyone with eyes to see, he can see God. But to be seen by God, do something by which you can draw the attention of God and He can see you, ‘Oh, here is My devotee,’ that is wanted. Let God see you! Don’t try to see God.”

“Why the spiritual master should be accepted as directly as the Supreme God? Kintu prabhor yah priya eva tasya. This priya, again, priyanam: ‘Because he is very, very dear to Krishna.’ Not that because he is worshiped as Krishna, therefore he thinks himself Krishna and declares, ‘Now I am Krishna.’ No. Kintu prabhor yah priya eva tasya. This priya. Priya is word. So therefore try to become priya of Krishna. Do, act in such a way that Krishna can understand that you are very dear to Him.”

“Our only business is, ‘Just become dear to Krishna.’ That’s all. Krishna consciousness movement means ‘You are trying to be dear to so many things.’ Somebody is trying to be dear to his father, to his mother, or to his family, children, or country, community, society, nation. Everyone is trying to be dear. ‘I will do such and such thing for you. Please give me vote. Please make me president.’ They are trying. And after all, the president also is not dear, neither people is . . . dear. The real fact becomes disclosed after a few days when the . . . mask . . . is over. That’s all.
So this kind of trying to become dear is no use. It is simply waste of time. So if you try to become dear to Krishna, that is siddhi. That is perfection.”

“That is sraddha [Cc. Madhya 22.62], firm faith. It cannot be changed at any cost, at any circumstance. That is called firm faith. If that firm faith is not obtained, then we are still on the imperfection platform.”

From Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.5.18, purport:

“Every man everywhere is trying to obtain the greatest amount of sense enjoyment by various endeavors.”

From a class on Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.16.4 on January 1, 1974, in Los Angeles:

“In the Kali-yuga everyone is a sudra. Therefore naturally he will elect one sudra. The sudra is not fit for government management. As such, we find so many difficulties in the government because the head or the head man, they are all sudras. They have dressed like administrator, but they are sudras. This is the symptom of Kali-yuga.”

“Sometimes we’ll find in our society, all intelligent class, and they fight each other. That’s all. Everyone is thinking, ‘I am intelligent. I am boss. I must order you.’ And the other is thinking, ‘Why you shall be boss? I am also boss.’ So [laughs] fighting will go on.”

From a class on Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.16.5 on January 2, 1974, in Los Angeles:

“If I would not have taken the advantage of the aeroplanes, how I could preach Krishna consciousness all over the world so swiftly? We must take all advantage – but for Krishna. That is Krishna consciousness. We shall encourage people, but the thing is that we may not forget. If by material opulence we forget Krishna, then that is suicidal. . . . Therefore we have to be little careful. We may drive the Rolls-Royce car, but may not identify with the car – ‘Oh, now I’ve become Rolls-Royce. You are Chevrolet; I’m Rolls-Royce.’ [laughter] Don’t become nonsense like that. Rolls-Royce car is different from you, and Chevrolet car is also different from you. You can take advantage of them. Don’t identify. They are identifying with the matter. That is the defect. That is called maya. He’s not identifying with Krishna, that ‘I am part and parcel of Krishna.’”

“Anyone who is trying for Krishna, to make people Krishna conscious, he is a representative of Krishna, real representative. Therefore guru is offered the respect exactly like Krishna. Saksad-dharitvena samasta-sastrair uktas tatha bhavyata. Because he is kintu prabhor yah priya eva tasya, he’s . . . doing the most confidential service.”

From a class on Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.16.6 on January 3, 1974, in Los Angeles:

“Canakya Pandita says that every moment of life is so valuable that you cannot get back it even offering hundreds and thousands and millions of dollars. That is not possible. So if that moment is wasted for nothing, just imagine what is your loss. A thing which you cannot get back by paying millions of dollars, if that is lost unnecessarily, so how much loss you are suffering just imagine. This is material calculation. Why we keep some valuable things, some jewel, very carefully? Because we know, ‘If I lose this jewel, I will lose so much money.’ Similarly, we should always consider that. The modern civilization, rascal civilization, they do not know how to utilize life. So many days, so many hours, they are simply wasting, simply wasting.”

“Talking means decreasing your duration of life. Talking. So why should you decrease your life unnecessarily? Every moment you have to utilize, ‘Whether it is used for Krishna?’ This is sadhana. This is sadhana, practice. Unnecessary talking, unnecessarily making enemies. Unnecessarily, ‘You are my subordinate; I am your master.’ Who is master? Everyone is subordinate to Krishna. Nobody is master. Why you talk unnecessarily?”

“Big, big politicians, they read Bhagavad-gita, in our country. But by their action it is seen they did not understand even a word of Bhagavad-gita. Even a word of Bhagavad-gita. Big, big politician. They became very big, big mahatmas or great men, but they tried for this body, which is to be finished. Antavanta ime dehah. Nobody tried for that thing which will never be finished, that is eternal. You find from their life, they never instructed about the soul.”

From a class on Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.16.7 on January 4, 1974, in Los Angeles:

“There are many social problems in your country – I do not wish to discuss – but . . . very grave problems. But they do not know how to systematize the human form of life because they do not know what is the aim of life. That they do not know. So aim of life is to stop this repetition of birth and death. That is the aim of life. The so-called scientists, they do not know it, and neither they work for it.”

“One must be serious and execute Krishna consciousness, follow the rules and regulation, very simple, and chant Hare Krishna mantra, and they will be saved from Mrityu, Yamaraja [death].”

Bhaktivinoda Thakura:

From Jaiva Dharma, Chapter Fourteen:

“Raghunatha dasa Babaji, ‘A diminutive portion of the svarupa-shakti is present in the jiva, therefore Her three properties are also present within the jiva in a small quantity. The hladini-shakti is present in the jiva as perfect brahmananda, the bliss of Brahman transcendence, which is ready to be realized at any time. The samvit-shakti is manifested in the jiva as brahma-jnana, knowledge of the undifferentiated Absolute Truth, and sandhini-shakti is manifested in the jiva as anu-caitanya, the minute spark of the supreme consciousness. When these same properties are projected into the maya-shakti on the material plane, they behave differently because of the resultant contamination. The hladini-shakti is exhibited as gross mundane pleasure, samvit-shakti as materialistic knowledge, and sandhini-shakti as the fourteen planetary systems of the material creation and the physical forms encasing the jiva.’”

“Raghunatha dasa Babaji, ‘. . . On this material plane, conflicting and contradictory natures cannot coexist in one place or in one person because such contrasting natures mutually destroy one another. However, the shakti of Sri Krishna is so inconceivable that the seemingly contrary emotions, nature, and qualities of the spiritual world eternally coexist harmoniously in pristine splendour.

“Sri Krishna is simultaneously personal with a beautiful form and impersonal with an awe-inspiring presence; both all-pervasive and embodied; inactive and dynamically creative; unborn and born of His parents, Devaki and Vasudeva, and Yashoda and Nanda; the Supreme Godhead, worshiped by all, and yet a simple cowherd boy; omniscient and yet accepting an incarnation that manifests human emotions; with form and qualities, yet also formless and unqualified; beyond sense perception and yet the personification of rasa; unlimited and yet limited by performing His pastimes as incarnations; unattainable and far away, yet very near in the heart of everyone; immutable and unconcerned, yet filled with consternation at the anger of the gopis. There are innumerable examples of how these apparently conflicting emotions sustain as well as accelerate the transcendental pastimes of the Lord, be it in regard to the personality of the Lord, His dhama, His associates, or paraphernalia. The eternal harmony of these opposing aspects indicates the inconceivable status of His shakti.’”

“Raghunatha dasa Babaji, ‘. . . the Supreme Lord, who is described everywhere as captivatingly beautiful, descends at will and on the spur of the moment to sport in pastimes with the jivas.’”

“Raghunatha dasa Babaji, ‘The following unequivocal statement is cited from the Taittiriya Upanishad, 2.7.1:

yadvaitat raso vai sah
rasam hy evayam labdhvanandi bhavati
ko hy evanyat kah pranyat
yad esa akasha anando na syat
esa hy evanandayati

“The One who has been described (in the previous verse of the Upanishad) as the paragon of piety and merit is in truth parama-brahma, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the embodiment of rasa. Only when the jiva is able to attain Him, the rasa svarupa, the embodiment of spiritual mellows, can he be truly happy. Who could breathe without the Lord giving breath? Who could be happy without the Lord giving happiness? It is He who gives transcendental bliss.”

“Raghunatha dasa Babaji, ‘There are two groups of maya-baddha-jivas, conditioned souls. One group are parak, spiritually apathetic; they turn their back to Sri Krishna and are attracted to matter. The other group is pratyak, spiritually attracted; they face Sri Krishna and are drawn to the inner self and Sri Krishna. The extroverted parak jivas deny Sri Krishna and by turning their back on the Lord are thereby deprived of beholding the sublime beauteous splendour of the Lord. Their consciousness is projected into the material phenomena; thus, they see and think only of matter. On the other hand, the introverted pratyak jivas are averse to maya and are attracted to Sri Krishna, being therefore eligible to perceive Sri Krishna who is the embodiment of the all-blissful spiritual mellows.

“Raghunatha dasa Babaji, The Kathopanishad, 1.2.23, states:

nayam atma pravacanena labhyo
na medhaya na bahudha shrutena
yam evaisha vrinute tena labhyas
tasyaisha atma vivrinute tanum svam

“Knowledge of the Supreme Absolute Truth is neither acquired through endless debates, nor through a sharp intellect, nor through erudition. Yet, when the jiva soul turns to the Supreme Lord with a mood of service and begs for His mercy, the Lord from within reciprocates and reveals Himself to such a sincere soul.

“Sri Mayapura is the maha-yoga-pitha, the eternal abode of Sri Radha and Sri Krishna surrounded by their eternal and intimate associates, within Sri Navadvipa-dhama.”

“The Srimad-Bhagavatam, 7.9.38, narrates: …channah kalau... ‘In Kali-yuga the full incarnation of the Supreme Lord makes a covered appearance.’ Similarly, the same principle is applied to Navadvipa-dhama—in Kali-yuga Navadvipa is the covered dhama. In Kali-yuga there is no tirtha-yatra, pilgrimage, superior to visiting Mayapura. Furthermore, only those who understand the transcendental significance of Mayapura are eligible to reside in Vraja-dhama. To the extroverted gross materialist, who cannot understand the actual spiritual position and importance of the dhama, Vraja and Navadvipa appear inert and ordinary. Those jivas who are extremely fortunate acquire transcendental vision and can see the dhama in all her splendour.”

“The residents of Navadvipa are immensely fortunate—they are the associates of Sri Caitanya. On account of innumerable pious deeds a person is promoted to reside in Navadvipa. Certain aspects of rasa, which are not expressed in Vrindavana, find their expression in Navadvipa. Only a person who has become qualified to understand these particular rasas will be able to perceive them.”

“Navadvipa-dhama and especially Mayapura are so spiritually potent that anyone executing sadhana there will very soon be crowned with the highest success by the attainment of krishna-prema. The house of Sri Jagannatha Mishra is the nucleus of Mayapura. It is the yoga-pitha, and the eternal supramundane pastimes of Sri Gauraìga are enacted and seen there by the most fortunate souls.”

“Raghunatha dasa Babaji, ‘Sri Gauranga is worshiped in two ways, depending on His respective consort. In the sadhana-bhakti stage of arcana-marga, Deity worship of Sri Gauranga and Sri Vishnupriya is in the mood of awe and reverence. In raganuga-bhajana, the spontaneous stage of raga-marga, Sri Gauranga and Sri Gadadhara Prabhu are worshiped.

From Jaiva Dharma, Chapter Fifteen:

Out of the flames of a fire fall innumerable tiny sparks, similarly, from the rays of the transcendental sun, Sri Hari, emanate millions of minute particles of consciousness, the infinitesimal spirit souls, the iivas. The jiva is non-different from the Supreme, Sri Hari, and yet simultaneously he is distinct from Sri Hari. The eternal difference between the Supreme Lord Sri Hari and the jiva is that the Lord is always the master and controller of the maya-shakti, whereas the jiva, even in his liberated state by his very constitutional nature is vulnerable to come under the sway of the maya-shakti.’”

In the very beginning before creation, when only that One Eternal Non-dual Truth existed, was there anything besides Brahman?’
So if Brahman was the only one in existence, where did bhrama, illusion, come from? Secondly, who is under illusion? If the answer is that Brahman is in illusion, then you are degrading Brahman from His supreme transcendental position to something insignificant and secondary, and thus Brahman is not Brahman, the Supreme. Furthermore, if one argues that illusion is a separate entity, then this proposal contradicts the concept of non-duality, monism.”

“The jiva becomes perfect through sadhana—that is he becomes a sadhana-siddha—and then experiences the same level of spiritual bliss as that of a nitya-siddha.”

“The four classes of sakhis serving Srimati Radhika are nitya-siddha.

The Humble Servants of Srila Prabhupada:

“Lord Krishna intensifies our love for Him by apparently separating Himself from us, and the result is that we achieve what we really wanted and prayed for: intense love for the Absolute Truth, Krishna. Thus Lord Krishna’s apparent negligence is actually His thoughtful reciprocation and the fulfillment of our deepest and purest desire.” (Srimad-Bhagavatam 10.32.20, purport)

“Here the Lord indicates that though the gopis were already perfect in their love for Him, still, to inconceivably increase their perfection and show an example for the world, He acted as He did [disappearing from them and throwing them in an ocean of lamentation].” (Srimad-Bhagavatam 10.32.21, purport)

“Any living being who hears of the spontaneous loving attraction the gopis felt for Lord Krishna will have his desires for material sense gratification destroyed at the root and will develop his natural propensity for serving the Supreme Lord, the spiritual master, and the Lord’s devotees.” (Srimad-Bhagavatam 10.33, Chapter Summary)

“Material activities never entangle the devotees of the Supreme Lord, who are fully satisfied by serving the dust of His lotus feet. Nor do material activities entangle those intelligent sages who have freed themselves from the bondage of all fruitive reactions by the power of yoga. So how could there be any question of bondage for the Lord Himself, who assumes His transcendental forms according to His own sweet will?” (Srimad-Bhagavatam 10.33.34)

“Since Lord Krishna is the Supreme Lord dwelling within the gopis, their so-called husbands and all other living beings, what possible sin could there be on His part if He embraces some of the beings He Himself has created? What fault could there be if the Lord goes with the gopis to a secret place, since He already dwells within the most secret part of every living being, the core of the heart?” (Srimad-Bhagavatam 10.33.35, purport)

“Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura glorifies the Lord’s conjugal pastimes, stating that these romantic affairs have an inconceivable spiritual potency to attract the polluted heart of conditioned souls. It is an undeniable fact that any pure- or simple-hearted person who hears narrations of the loving affairs of Krishna will be attracted to the lotus feet of the Lord and gradually become His devotee.” (Srimad-Bhagavatam 10.33.36, purport)

“Anyone who faithfully hears or describes the Lord’s playful affairs with the young gopis of Vrindavana will attain the Lord’s pure devotional service. Thus he will quickly become sober and conquer lust, the disease of the heart.” (Srimad-Bhagavatam 10.33.39)

“Therefore it is by the causeless mercy of Lord Krishna that He exhibits His rasa-lila within this world. If we become attached to this narration, we will experience the bliss of spiritual love and thus reject the perverted reflection of that love, which is called lust.” (Srimad-Bhagavatam 10.33.39, purport)

Bhakti Caitanya Swami:

I asked you to try giving a gift or giving prasadam to someone. I will not ask if you did it, but it really helps develop loving relationships.

Once you have been around for a while, it is not difficult to deal with seniors. You can hear from them or offer to serve them. They are generally more broadminded. But dealing with juniors requires more sensitivity. They may be more temperamental, and they may have not even decided to commit themselves fully.

If you really do sadhu-sanga [association with devotees] nicely with all three levels of devotees, you will feel a natural attraction for devotional service.

A big part of dealing with juniors involves helping them deal with their problems.

Forgiveness and the understanding that Krishna is there in the background can help juniors deal with their problems. This includes understanding how Krishna gives tests and how you can benefit from these tests by seeing them in the right way.

Bhakti Tirtha Swami famously said, “Whenever I see a test coming, I think, ‘Here comes Krishna in the form of test!’”

What should we look for in someone we want good association from? Dedication to Srila Prabhupada. This is a foundation of all good qualities.

One devotee went to see Jayananda Prabhu in the hospital when he had leukemia. He did not see him in the bed in his room. The devotee thought he might have been taken out for tests. Then he looked closer and saw the sheets folded carefully on his bed and a photo of Srila Prabhupada on the pillow, and behind the bed was Jayananda on the floor. He asked Jayananda why he was on the floor. Jayananda explained that in his whole life he never had such a comfortable bed as this hospital bed, so he thought he should offer it to Srila Prabhupada.

Duryodhana liked to cook although there were so many cooks in the palace. Bhismadeva ate what he cooked, and thus his consciousness was affected, and he sided with the Duryodhana against the Pandavas.

Kaliya represents poisoning the hearts of devotees.

If you spontaneously have a negative attitude toward a devotee because of hearing something bad about him that is evidence that your consciousness has been poisoned.

As Kaliya was exiled from Vrindavan, although he had surrendered to Krishna, we may be effectively exiled from the association of devotees if we poison the consciousness of devotees.

Jiva Goswami argues that Bharata Maharaja became attached to a deer because of offenses in his spiritual practice because at the stage of bhava all reactions to sinful activities have already been vanquished.

One should not criticize devotees for four things:
1. the last traces of sinful activity
2. their birth
3. accidental deviation or momentarily lapse
4. their sinful activities prior to becoming Krishna consciousness

The devotees had an elephant on a padayatra party. The elephant liked to lead the party. The elephant did not like others to lead the party and would flick them with her trunk if they came too far forward. One elderly devotee got in the front of the party, and the elephant flicked him. He was so ecstatically absorbed in the kirtan, he came again in front of the elephant, and the elephant flicked him again. Being absorbed in the kirtan, he again came before the elephant a third time. This time the elephant picked him up with his trunk, smashed him to the ground and sat on him. Thus you should not make an elephant mad.

We should not criticize Ramacandra Puri, although his activity of criticizing devotees should not be followed, because he was a personality from Krishna-lila specifically to play a role in the pastime. He was Jatila, Radharani’s mother-in-law.

Radhanath Swami:

From a recorded lecture about the pastimes of Krishna and Balarama:

Hearing about the pastimes of Krishna purifies our heart and pleases Krishna because it awakens our love for Him.

By Balarama’s potency the whole dhama is engaged in Krishna’s service.

The propensity to play is there because it is there in Krishna and Balarama, who we are part of.

Krishna will play along with your maya. Do not think you can fool Krishna. Krishna may allow you to execute your folly, but ultimately there will be a reaction to it.

It is only by the mercy of guru and Krishna we can conquer our anarthas.

Pralambhasura represents lusty inclinations and desire for personal honor. Bhaktivinoda Thakura says we cannot overcome these alone but need the mercy of guru and Krishna.

Mitrasena Prabhu (a Prabhupada disciple visiting England from North Carolina):

From a spiritual discussion at the Friday night program in Leeds:

The Bhagavatam describes that the sages performed sacrifice to diminish the effects of Kali-yuga. It is like our ancestors looking out for us.

When Krishna returned to His abode, all that is good went with Him.

I have sold thousands of Bhagavatams all over America. Now I am trying to get people to read them.

Someone says one sentence, and we think, “Now I get it.” If that sentence came at another time, we would not have noticed it, but at that certain time in your life it clicks.

Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.2.6 does not specify a certain deity. It says develop devotion for that which lies beyond your senses and not for the purpose of gaining something material. When presented like that, the idea will appeal to a wider audience, including those not yet ready to surrender to some deity.

We all enjoy sense gratification, but if the goal of your life is to enjoy your five senses, you will end up having a very shallow life. It is like salt. Salt makes food taste better, but you cannot eat only salt.

Sukadeva Goswami was so advanced spiritually that he saw no reason to be born.

Srila Prabhupada makes the point that Vyasadeva was not satisfied by writing Vedanta, and therefore, one cannot expect to be satisfied by studying it.

I saw a T-shirt with the slogan “I have 99 problems, and all of them can be solved with a beer.” There are actually many people who think that way.

You cannot push darkness out of a room, but just light a candle . . .

We are convinced that adding bhakti will solve all problems.

Two comments by Manoharini Radha Devi Dasi:
Happiness will come to you anyway, so you do not need to endeavor for it. Just endeavor for devotion.

One devotee speaking in Leeds said that as devotees we are also suffering but we know where to take shelter.
You can look everywhere with your material senses, but you will not find bhakti.

From a Sunday feast lecture in Newcastle:

Comment by Craig, a newcomer: I think of Krishna as being beyond the existence of all we know here.

We believe love is the highest thing, and we go through deep conversations in Sanskrit to prove it.

Love is the substantial thing. It even motivates God.

After reading Bhagavad-gita, you can read the Krishna book and see how Krishna lives His life.

When you hear the philosophy it really puts everything in perspective.

The moon appears to go through different phases, but in reality it remains the same. Similarly the soul, despite the changes of bodies, remains unchanged.

Comment by Adi-Guru Prabhu: The most important thing is the most important thing. The problem is that we get entangled in things that are not so important.

Comment by Caitanya Vallabha Prabhu: My guru, Indradyumna Swami, likens one too absorbed in material life to someone who becomes so entangled in shopping in the duty-free shop that he misses his plane.

If we do not take care of basic needs, we end up doing something desperate.

Comment by a devotee: Work to live. Don’t live to work.

Comment by Caitanya Vallabha Prabhu: Love is a verb, a doing word. We can do something to show our love.

How can we practically increase our love? We can hear about and talk about the object of love.

Chapter Three of the First Canto of Srimad-Bhagavatam gives a whole list of incarnations, and toward the end, it mentions that this Srimad-Bhagavatam is an incarnation of Krishna for this age.

Poets like Rumi pray to be like a flute that God blows through to manifest His will.

Our asset is our attraction to Krishna. That we must keep growing.

If you cannot find any interest in Krishna among the people, you can spark some interest. That is what Srila Prabhupada did, and he created a whole movement.

Because we have feelings for matter it causes us pain, but when we develop love for spiritual topics that pain will be diminished.

Once Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura, instead of dismantling one Mayavadi’s philosophy, which he could have easily done and which he often did, spoke in detail about the personality of Krishna, and gradually the Mayavadi’s heart was changed to accept the personal feature of God as superior.

Dayananda Swami:

Srila Prabhupada made the instructions of his spiritual master one with his heart, and therefore, he was successful.

In one purport in Caitanya-caritamrita, Srila Prabhupada paraphrases the four regulative principles and adds a fifth, freedom from duplicity.

Srila Prabhupada says that if we cannot be straightforward, we cannot make advancement.

Once Bhakti Tirtha Swami was advising that one with a mental grievance should present it before the deities and ask what to do. Then one should put oneself in the place of the deities and then listen to one’s own complaint. I found when I did that, the answer to my own problem came to me.

We need to make others feel that their contributions are important.

Comment by Bhakti Caitanya Swami: If we understand that someone offends me because of something I have done in the past then in one sense the need for forgiveness is not really there because actually I am the cause of my own suffering.

Q: If we feel that we are not engaged properly, can we question how we are being engaged?
A: Yes, especially we have been around for a while and we have a clear indication of how we can best contribute.

When we realize that Krishna is providing what we really need, we become more surrendered.

If we have some issue and read Srila Prabhupada’s books regularly, we will always find what we need to know, wherever we read from. Srila Prabhupada’s books are so complete!

The following are reflections on the Newcastle Retreat, which I just caught the final day of:

Caitanya Vallabha Prabhu:

Vaisesika Prabhu always asks for reflections after a class. Reflections are things that you take away from the class.

If you do not hear, very soon you will not be here.

Tribhuvanatha Prabhu would say, “Being casual results in casualties.”

Kirti-Kumari Devi Dasi:

Bhakti Caitanya Swami reminded us of the amazing truth that when we associate properly with devotees the threefold miseries will exist no longer.

Gaurakisora Prabhu:

We may not have the time or the inclination to go deep into Srila Prabhupada’s books, so for us the representatives of Srila Prabhupada bring Srila Prabhupada’s books to life.

These retreats are transformational for communities.

Vrajendra Nandana Prabhu:

The retreat is like a rain after a long period of drought.

I feel the speakers like Bhakti Caitanya Swami, Janananda Goswami, and Dayananda Swami all carry a little sample from the time of Srila Prabhupada so we can experience what that was like.

Jagannathesvari Devi Dasi:

It takes gallons of blood to make devotees, but it takes one word for them to be gone. So it makes me really think about how carefully I must be in dealing with devotees.

Nitaicand Prabhu:

I am a great getter but not a very good giver. I apologize for that. Here you have really been giving, and I have really been getting, and I thank you for that.

-----

The loving exchanges between devotees of the Lord was the theme of the Newcastle Retreat, and thus reading the reflections on the retreat above, I am reminded of this most famous verse on that topic. I am embarrassed to quote it as I do not excel at these exchanges, but I share the verse because it is important, and I recognize that our devotional lives are more pleasing the more we apply this verse.

dadati pratigrihnati
guhyam akhyati pricchati
bhunkte bhojayate caiva
shad-vidham priti-lakshanam

Offering gifts in charity, accepting charitable gifts, revealing one’s mind in confidence, inquiring confidentially, accepting prasada and offering prasada are the six symptoms of love shared by one devotee and another.” (Nectar of Instruction, verse 4)

One example of giving gifts that Srila Prabhupada mentions in his purport to that verse is giving the holy name: “Contributing or distributing the holy name of the Lord is a sublime example of contributing or giving charity (the
dadati principle). By the same token, one must also follow the pratigrihnati principle and be willing and ready to receive the transcendental gift.” Srila Prabhupada explains that this is a valuable gift because “simply by hearing and chanting—sravanam kirtanam [SB 7.5.23]—one’s heart is directly purified, and one’s original Krishna consciousness is immediately awakened. Krishna consciousness is not artificially imposed upon the heart, it is already there. When one chants the holy name of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the heart is cleansed of all mundane contamination.”