Friday, December 01, 2017

Travel Journal#13.20: New York City

Diary of a Traveling Sadhaka, Vol. 13, No. 20 
By Krishna-kripa das 
(October 2017, part two) 
New York City 
(Sent from New York City on December 1, 2017)

Where I Went and What I Did

I continued staying in New York City for the last half of October, chanting Hare Krishna with the Yuga Dharma New York City harinama party for several hours every day, except the day of my hernia operation and the day after. I attended three special events: Govardhana Puja at Radha Govinda Mandir, Srila Prabhupada’s Disappearance Day at 26 Second Avenue (where several Srila Prabhupada disciples made wonderful offerings which I tell highlights of in a separate section below), and a walking harinama on Halloween.

I share insights from Srila Prabhupada’s books and classes. I share notes on lectures by Candrasekhara Swami, Badarayana Prabhu, Bhakti Vasudeva Swami, Bhakti Ananda Svarupa Caitanya Swami and Rama Raya Prabhu, as well lectures by younger devotees speaking at The Bhakti Center, Pavana Nitai Chandra Prabhu, Prana Gauranga Prabhu (a brahmacari from Montreal), Paramananda Gopala Prabhu, Jai Giridhari Prabhu, and Mahotsaha Prabhu. I also share a Facebook post I made on a current ISKCON issue and a nice comment by Bhakta Eduard from a conversation.

Thanks to Atmanivedanta Prabhu, who maintains the Saturday evening Bhagavad-gita at 26 Second Avenue, for his very generous donation. Thanks to Bhaktin Diana and Dipika Ray for their photos of me and Kalakantha Prabhu, the GBC Minister for Agriculture and Cow Protection, on harinama.

Itinerary

November 11, 2017–January 7?, 2018: Yuga Dharma New York City harinama party
except:
December 2, 2017: Satsvarupa Dasa Goswami Vyasa-puja in Stuyvesant Falls
December 3, 9–10, 2017: visit to Hartford to see Niranjana Swami
December 24, 2017: Christmas Eve with my relatives in Albany

Chanting Hare Krishna in New York City

I continued chanting with the Yuga Dharma New York City harinama party for several hours a day.

Sometimes I would lead the chanting.

More often I would sit at the book table.


At the book table, I would also chant the response.

First I tell what was special about this last half of October:

One devotee who visited our harinama during a brief New York visit was Kalakantha Prabhu (left), the GBC Minister for Agriculture and Cow Protection (not the same as the temple president of Krishna House Gainesville).


As Karttika continued through the second half of October, the Yuga Dharma New York City harinama party continued inviting people attracted by our harinama and our literature to get additional spiritual blessings by offering lamps to Lord Damodara, Krishna as a child.

The first man in this video offered a real candle at Union Square Park, since we forgot to bring the electric ones, which are more preferred by the police. The others offered electric candles in Union Square subway station on Halloween, one man doing so wearing a costume (https://youtu.be/3e6lvLDxo3c):


Halloween is a great opportunity for walking harinama as all kinds of people are willing to interact with the chanting party. Six devotees associated with the Yuga Dharma New York City harinama party chanted Hare Krishna and danced on Halloween on 14th Street to the crowds coming to see the Halloween parade on 6th Avenue, and all kinds of people wearing a variety of costumes had a great time chanting and dancing with us. Special thanks to Pavana Nitai Chandra Prabhu, who played the drum, Mahotsaha Prabhu, who led lots of the chanting, Sasha, who played the karatalas, Bhaktin Summer, who dressed up as Krishna, and Elaf, who carried our bags (https://youtu.be/pVm1yjH3lNg):


Bhakta Josh chants Hare Krishna in Times Square subway station. Mother Ekadasi Vrata, who was visiting family in New York City, joined us that day and plays the shakers in back. Her two sons, Ananda Gauranga and Kishor Gopal Prabhus, have spent many months serving our New York City harinama party in the past (https://youtu.be/kwT0N-CjC00):


Jaya Jagannatha Prabhu chants Hare Krishna in Jackson Heights attracting attention from passersby (https://youtu.be/bEBq9ZT14G4):


The kirtan became so ecstatic that book distributors Eduard and Kate began to dance (https://youtu.be/rrptl9cMUHE):


Natabara Gauranga Prabhu chants Hare Krishna in Union Square and kids play shakers (https://youtu.be/-uapAF12Yms):


Pavana Nitai Chandra Prabhu chants Hare Krishna at Union Square and a man plays shakers and his wife dances briefly (https://youtu.be/YkKEy-hWBKY):


We engaged several ladies attracted by the chanting in playing shakers during Hare Krishna chant at Union Square, and they had a good time connecting with Krishna in this way (https://youtu.be/1Chtgu5rmbE):


Pavana Nitai Chandra Prabhu chants Hare Krishna at Union Square subway station (https://youtu.be/P3u_XZjmedM):


Pavana Nitai Chandra Prabhu chants Hare Krishna at Penn Station and a man dances (https://youtu.be/1P0LpqBuXtE):


Krishna Prasad Prabhu chants Hare Krishna at Penn Station, and a lady dances while holding the Bhagavad-gita she just purchased (https://youtu.be/PfRWfll8lJE):


A T-Shirt with a Message


On harinama in New York for the fourth time since I returned in September I have seen women wearing “THE FUTURE IS FEMALE” shirts. Originally from the 1970s, they are enjoying a boost in popularity. It is interesting that in Hare Krishna temples every morning we sing a song by a Gaudiya Vaishnava poet, who calls himself Krishna Das, and who aspires for a female future. He prays to follow in the footsteps of the female associates of the divine couple Radha and Krishna, and to become the maidservant of Tulasi Devi, who makes amazing arrangements for the perfection of Their pastimes. Thus he aspires for a very bright female future.

Brooklyn Govardhan Puja

Went to the Brooklyn Govardhan Puja festival. After all, despite recent controversies, Radha Govinda are Radha Govinda, donated by the Queen of Jaipur and installed by Srila Prabhupada, the first Radha Krishna deities in my life who I met 38 years ago and who are looking even more gorgeous every year. And Govardhan Puja is Govardhan Puja, the most accessible of all our festivals, and New York City is New York City, where everything is done big time. Thanks to Nruhari and Nandanandana Prabhus for the wonderful kirtans, and the Yuga Dharma New York City regulars for their ecstatic dancing. A young man came from harinama came to the temple for the first time and loved the kirtan, the prasadam, and the whole experience. Seeing so many devotees I knew of all ages, races, genders, nationalities, levels of spiritual practice, and philosophical and political positions all together there, chanting and dancing and honoring prasadam, as one big family, was very powerful, and reminded me how by putting Krishna in the center, we rise up to the spiritual platform and we are at our best. Thanks, Satya, for a great festival.

Here is some video of the kirtan (https://youtu.be/GR55Mu8NYPw):


Srila Prabhupada’s Disappearance Day at 26 Second Avenue

[Moderator: Ravindra Svarupa Prabhu is an amazing asset to ISKCON for revamping corrupted systems, and we all owe him a great debt.]

Ravindra Svarupa Prabhu:

In those days, airports were not fortresses. We brought vyasasanas in there, and there were press conferences.

At one press conference, the reporter asked Srila Prabhupada, “Why have you come to the West?”
Srila Prabhupada replied, “To give you a brain.”
[All the reporters pencils stopped.]
Then he explained the varnasrama system, how the brahmanas were the head, and how that lacking brahmanas, our society was therefore headless. There were all sudras and a few vaisyas. It reminded me of how President Coolidge said, “The business of America is business.”

Another time a reporter asked, “How does your group differ from the other Buddhists?”
Srila Prabhupada replied, “We have nothing to do with this Hinduism and Buddhism. We are presenting the truth, and if you are truthful, you will accept it.” In this way, Srila Prabhupada destroyed the whole mental platform on which the question was asked.

Srila Prabhupada once explained that matter is another form of spirit.
When I got a chance, I asked Srila Prabhupada, “I am trying to understand how I am spirit and that spirit and matter different, but you are saying matter is another form of spirit.”
Srila Prabhupada replied, “We are not Mayavadis. There are many kinds of spirit.”
Srila Prabhupada explained that Krishna consciousness is the respiritualization of matter.

Srila Prabhupada explained that simply by chanting sixteen rounds a day and following the four regulative principles that we would not fall down and become demoniac.

My mother, who was a nurse, thought in the 1970s that I would die when I became vegetarian. Later she commended me on the health of my diet.

The devotees were crowding up the boarding area at the airport to send off Srila Prabhupada, and I could see the boarding agents were becoming flustered. I tried to tell the devotees to make room for the other passengers, but they ignored me. I explained the situation to Rupanuga, the GBC. The devotees ignored him too. Finally he stood on a table and requested that all the devotees leave the boarding area. Srila Prabhupada immediately stood up to leave, and Rupanuga said, “No, not you, Srila Prabhupada.” Srila Prabhupada was so humble!

Saudamani Devi Dasi:

As I am the only female disciple of Srila Prabhupada present here, I will say something about Srila Prabhupada’s dealings with women.

I never saw such dedicated people as my godsisters in the beginning of this movement, who would do whatever Srila Prabhupada wanted.

Once in the presence of Srila Prabhupada’s godbrothers and my godbrothers, Srila Prabhupada asked Malati to give class. This was not done to placate her, as she did not require placating, but to teach by his example. Without much preparation, Malati gave a very nice class.

Once Srila Prabhupada said he wanted all his disciples to become gurus. Rukmini, who was only sixteen, said, “Even the girls?”
Srila Prabhupada replied, “Yes.”

Look at Srila Prabhupada’s books, and see how he behaved. Then you can understand how to act.

The essential instruction is to chant Hare Krishna and help Lord Caitanya spread Krishna consciousness.

Srila Prabhupada wrote to me, “You are an intelligent girl, and your husband is a good soul, so if you preach Krishna consciousness together you will be successful.”

Mahavira Prabhu:

I was in Los Angeles. 

There Srila Prabhupada stopped the gopi bhava club. 

There Srila Prabhupada also stopped the devotees from executing a plan to move the deities to another room in the temple building, saying that once the deities were installed they should not be moved around like baggage.

One man stripped naked in the temple while Srila Prabhupada was giving a lecture. Danavira Prabhu and I put his clothes back on him, and threw him out. Srila Prabhupada was not disturbed and kept preaching throughout the entire incident.

Once I touched Srila Prabhupada’s feet to touch the dust of his lotus feet, and Srila Prabhupada was pleased and said everyone should do that.

By the mercy of the devotees, we have entrance to the spiritual world.

Srila Prabhupada radiated such a golden aura of peace and happiness that it overwhelmed me.

The great devotees have the power to overwhelm you, but you have to let them. You can block them if you desire.

By being here and by putting Srila Prabhupada in the center, you are becoming fortunate.

By nature you are eternal, blissful, and full of knowledge. Having to come to Krishna consciousness, you have nothing to lament. You are on the path to immortality.

Yogesvara Prabhu:

Srila Prabhupada’s mission was to change our vision.

In explaining why realized souls say this world is unreal, Srila Prabhupada said, “The only reason you think your waking life is more real than your dreams is that you spend more hours a day awake.”

Seeing a plant that was not watered, Srila Prabhupada pointed it out to all the devotees, and said, “You must take care.”

At Hyde Park Srila Prabhupada asked his servant to get a twig from a willow tree to use as a toothbrush. Nanda Kumar Prabhu took one twig, and then another, and he was going to take a third when Srila Prabhupada told him, “Do not disturb more than necessary.”

Srila Prabhupada noticed that in their haste to get Radha-Parisvara ready for Their installation, the devotees had neglected to put on Krishna’s ankle bells. The devotees had not noticed, but Srila Prabhupada noticed.

I know God is real because I saw that Srila Prabhupada loved Krishna, and you cannot love a myth like that.

We must consider that, as devotees, if we truly suffer when we see the suffering of others, what is the evidence of that?

In the United States, one in four women and one in six men are abused in the course of their lives.

On an ontological level, we are all family. That is why we can genuinely care for others.

Deepening our understanding means to see what Srila Prabhupada did to relieve the sufferings of others.

Our responsibility is to apply the teachings of Krishna consciousness in such a way that people can see their practical value and become interested to apply them in their own lives.

Adarsi Prabhu:

In a very brief period of time, because of his purity and connection to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, Srila Prabhupada created a worldwide movement.

When I joined in 1973, Srila Prabhupada was acting as a general in Lord Caitanya’s army.

Srila Prabhupada was always planning to spread Krishna consciousness all over the world.

At the temple in Henry Street in Brooklyn in 1973, we had 90 brahmacaris and 30 grhasthas. We had 30 or 40 devotees distributing books on the subways every day. We would collect money on the plea of distributing food, and we did have our Sunday feast, and on Mondays we would distribute all the leftovers in the Bowery, and in Mayapur we distribute so much food. On Saturdays, 100 devotees would go out and distribute in the subways. Harikesa Prabhu was the cook all week, but he would go out on Saturday and always do best of all. He would enter the subway car, and say, “I am here on behalf of the Six Goswamis of Vrindavan, and if you can give 5 cents, 25 cents, or a dollar, you will begin your path back to Godhead.”

We began traveling book distribution to beat Los Angeles in the competition. We would go to a toll booth, and give the attendant a mantra card, and ask him to chant the mantra and to donate his money for our tolls, so in this way, we would have more money for our preaching.

Brooklyn today is a heavenly planet compared to Brooklyn in 1973.

Devamrita stayed up all night preaching to one young man, Bhakta David, who then attended mangala-arati and never left. That Bhakta David is now Ramabhadra Prabhu.

Srila Prabhupada always considered New York to be his most important project.

Badarayana Prabhu:

I still give the toll collectors mantra cards and have them chant the mantra, but I do not ask them to donate for my tolls.

Srila Prabhupada, we can still see you if we desire to see you. You are here in the hearts and minds of your followers. You are in your books. You are in your murtis in the temples.

A professional looking lady in her forties, who had gotten a book from me, later told me, “It changed my life. I chant Hare Krishna. I tell all my friends. I use it in my professional life.”

You are present in the amazing movie, Hare Krishna!

I talked with a lady at Hare Krishna! I asked how she came to be there. She explained that her daughter had got a book in Philadelphia and was becoming a devotee and attending the temple there, and she wanted to find out about Srila Prabhupada. When I asked her how she liked the movie, she said she cried the whole time.

You are present in your projects worldwide.

You are present in the hearts of your followers.

Locanananda Prabhu:

We have stuck together for 45 years, and Srila Prabhupada is the glue sticking us together.

When returning to Vrindavan for the final time, Srila Prabhupada chanted the verse by Maharaja Kulashekhara about fixing his mind on the lotus feet of Krishna at the end of life.

I was temple president of Amsterdam, and we were going to install a granite deity of Srila Prabhupada that weighed 200 pounds. Two of us must have been empowered to be able carry the murti to another floor of the temple.

Srila Prabhupada took his socks off and put them in the glove compartment before going on one morning walk. Bhugarbha and I, the only devotees remaining in the car, turned his socks inside out and touched the dust from his feet to our heads.

We would pray when Srila Prabhupada was sick, “Dear Krishna, if you desire, please help cure Srila Prabhupada.”

Sometimes Srila Prabhupada dreamed that he had come to New York before his original trip.

In Amsterdam, we had 400 guests each Sunday and classes in six languages.

Writing on behalf of the devotees, I said, “You have given us the matchless gift of Krishna consciousness, but what have we given you? We cannot . . . You have instilled in us seriousness of purpose. You are the most confidential servant of Radha-Krishna . . .” [I asked him for the text of the letter which is very long and full of wonderful realizations, and I will share it when I receive it.]

Mahesh Prabhu:

I feel unqualified to be a disciple of Srila Prabhupada. Forgive me if I have offended any of you. Srila Prabhupada had so much love for all his disciples.

Srila Prabhupada said, “George Harrison is more than a disciple. He is like a son.”

You can understand Srila Prabhupada more through this book, Prabhupada Nectar, so I will read from it.

Srila Prabhupada advised one sannyasi to travel and preach, and immediately after, he told another to stay and manage Vrindavan. The devotees marveled that Srila Prabhupada had given the swamis two completely different instructions yet both were accepted as absolute.

When given a sweet in India by his British devotees, Srila Prabhupada said, “Not even the Queen of England could enjoy a rasgulla made in London at Kumbha Mela.”

New things” means their brain is not clear.

Tarun Prabhu:

Bhavananda invited me to shave up. I said I was waiting for a voice from the sky. Bhavananda said that Srila Prabhupada is that voice, and they took me off to shave me up.

We had six people move in the temple at Henry Street after one Sunday feast. Usually there were just one or maybe two.

Regarding the book distributors which some devotees thought were using too heavy techniques, Srila Prabhupada once said, “Don’t check them one bit. They are pleasing me like anything.”

Srila Prabhupada was determined to preach until his body completely dwindled, but he paced himself.

I worried toward the end that Srila Prabhupada had initiated too many disciples. I considered myself to be one of the too many disciples.

The Saga of My Hernia Operation

I attempted for two years to get a free hernia operation through the “We Care” program of the Alachua County Department of Health in Florida as a devotee friend had done. I never completed all the necessary steps in the three or four months I was in Florida. The third year, someone at University of Florida’s Equal Access Clinic advised I seek charity care from Shands Hospital, which I did. Two weeks after I had left the USA for Europe I received that charity care which was to expire in August, before I returned from Europe in September. One nice young devotee couple in Florida agreed to sponsor my operation, but I thought they probably had better uses for their money, so I tried other options first. My sister and her partner encouraged me to seek Medicaid in New York State, which was possible for me to get, although it was not possible in the more conservative Florida. The day after I returned from Europe, I got my New York State drivers license, and within a week I received Medicaid, as my net income for the previous three months was about -$3.00. I got an appointment with Howard Liang, a friendly, experienced, peaceful surgeon at the NYU Langone Heath Center. 75% of the people who rated him gave him a 5 out of 5, and the clinic is said to be one of the best in the country. Thus a month and twenty days after returning to New York City, I had surgery to repair my hernia.

That day I wrote my Facebook friends, “Today I begin recovering from a long-awaited hernia operation, courtesy of The State of New York, the spiritual consciousness of which I try to elevate by chanting Hare Krishna for hours a day in the autumn. Thanks to Bhakta Eduard, who Adikarta Prabhu inspired to become a monk, for expertly caring for me at the hospital and bringing to me to The Bhakti Center, where I expressed gratitude to the Lord and my divine friends by singing “Gaura Arati” for Sri Gauracandra. Thanks to the caring Bhakti Center devotees, for giving me the shelter of the lotus feet of Krishna [Muralidhara] which fulfill the desires of all who bow down to them, are the ornament of the earth, give the highest satisfaction, and which in times of danger are the appropriate object of meditation. (SB 10.31.13)”

I lived in The Bhakti Center for two weeks so I could attend mangala-arati without having to walk eleven minutes in the cold. I took two days off from harinama, and chanted two hours the next day, and then three hours a day for two weeks. Now I am back up to six hours. I still cannot jump up and down in the kirtan, lift very heavy things, or exercise, but otherwise my body is working normally. I gained more realization of the misery of the material body and of the material world, and more realization of the kindness of my friends. Thanks to all of you who have assisted me through this. May the good Lord bless you abundantly.

Regarding taking help from the government, I heard that Srila Prabhupada did not want the devotees to make up false stories to gain government aid, but it was alright if we actually qualified for it. My hernia operation cost each taxpayer a fraction of a cent and each will get some credit for assisting the sankirtana mission of Lord Caitanya by helping a devotee who spends six hours a day for three months working for the spiritual benefit of their state, their country, and the universe. Thus I consider it is a win-win situation. Everyone benefits.

Insights

Srila Prabhupada:

From Srimad-Bhagavatam 6.1.54, purport:

Instead of trying to unite human society through pacts for sense gratification that can never be achieved, it is clearly desirable to teach people how to become Krishna conscious and return home, back to Godhead. This is true now and, indeed, at any time.”

From Srimad-Bhagavatam 9.24.59:

“Although the demons who take possession of the government are dressed like men of government, they do not know the duty of the government. Consequently, by the arrangement of God, such demons, who possess great military strength, fight with one another, and thus the great burden of demons on the surface of the earth is reduced. The demons increase their military power by the will of the Supreme, so that their numbers will be diminished and the devotees will have a chance to advance in Krishna consciousness.”

From Srimad-Bhagavatam 10.1.13, purport:

The entire world is suffering because of spiritual thirst. Every living being is Brahman, or spirit soul, and needs spiritual food to satisfy his hunger and thirst. Unfortunately, however, the world is completely unaware of the nectar of krishna-katha [talks about Lord Krishna]. The Krishna consciousness movement is therefore a boon to philosophers, religionists and people in general. There is certainly a charming attraction in Krishna and krishna-katha. Therefore the Absolute Truth is called Krishna, the most attractive.”

From Sri Caitanya-caritamrita, Antya-lila 3.207, purport:

A Vaishnava is always tolerant and submissive like trees and grass. He tolerates insults offered by others, for he is simply interested in chanting the holy name of the Lord without being disturbed.”

From a class on Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.10.11–12 in Mayapur on June 25, 1973:

Sannyasa means simply possess Krishna and no other possessions. That is niskincana.”

Candrasekhara Swami:

Because atonement is also a fruitive activity, although it frees one from sinful reactions, it does not free one of the tendency to act fruitively, and therefore, it cannot release one from material bondage.

It is amazing that nowadays people know how governments work, how economies work, how the insides of the small intestines works, etc., but they do not know how karma works.

In a lecture on Srimad-Bhagavatam 6.1.50, Srila Prabhupada says, “No one asks the question, ‘Why are some people suffering a lot and others suffering not so much?

The idea here is that the soul is not gross or subtle matter but is distinct from both and has erroneously got caught up in this world.

Oliver Sacks, a neuropsychologist, who dealt with the mental issues of older people, visited an older lady who reported seeing things. These included seeing men with distorted faces and large teeth. He has YouTube videos dealing with this issue. This is a common medical condition referred to as Charles Bonnet syndrome.

The Vedic idea of hell is that it is temporary, but it is not a nice place.

The Vedic ideas of hell, heaven, and reincarnation are practically unknown in the West.

Badarayana Prabhu:

Maharaja Pariksit is trying to understand how we suffer life after life.

We are all suffering, to a greater or lesser extent, and if we are not suffering, we just have to wait. Even if we have a wonderful life, death will inevitably come and take everything away.

In India they have nadi readers, which are like the Brighu readers, who can tell you information about your life and issues you have to deal with from previous lives. They take your thumb print. There 108 types of thumb prints for males and 108 types for females. They have bundles of palm leaves for each type in storage in Tamil Nadu in South India, and they find the ones for your type, and they begin to read off details about the life of a person until they encounter one that does not apply to you, and then go on to the next. They got to one that said, “Your father’s name is Gerald, and your mother’s is Jerri. I was amazed. My father’s name was Gerald and my mother’s was Geraldine, and there is no way they could have known that, and they proceeded to tell me many other details about my life. Then they tell you details of your previous lives, and then go over them with you, focusing on how you are suffering now because of causing trouble to others in the past. So we should be very careful in our dealings with others, because if we are not, that will be the cause of our future suffering.

Our suffering is caused by the influence of time. If we want to transcend time, we have to associate with that which is transcendental, such as Krishna and His pure devotees.

Because of Srila Prabhupada we have a mission and a purpose in life.

Srila Prabhupada is definitely the person who was predicted by Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and by Bhaktivinoda Thakura to spread the chanting of the holy name all over the world.

As if we understand the transcendental nature of Krishna we can attain the spiritual realm, if we understand the transcendental nature of the maha-bhagavata, Srila Prabhupada, we will attain that same destination.

Srila Prabhupada once told Sudama Prabhu, “When you do not see me here physically, always listen for me. I will instruct you through the bodies of others from time to time. Always listen for me.”
Sudama Prabhu asked if even a dog barking could be an indication from Srila Prabhupada.
It can come from everyone. It can be everyone.”

Also Srila Prabhupada said to Sudama, “If you think you have become an advanced devotee and you start acting a role you will become mad.”

Sudama told Srila Prabhupada that the devotees criticized his classes because he did not quote enough verses. Srila Prabhupada told him not to worry and praised him for cooking nicely, singing beautifully, and attracting many people by speaking from his heart. His pleasing Krishna by those activities of devotion was sufficient.

In telling a disciple how to distribute his books, Srila Prabhupada quoted, “This Bhagavata Purana is as brilliant as the sun, and it has arisen just after the departure of Lord Krishna to His own abode, accompanied by religion, knowledge, etc. Persons who have lost their vision due to the dense darkness of ignorance in the Age of Kali shall get light from this Purana.” (Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.3.43) He praised the verse and explained that the Bhagavatam is so nice that it will sell itself.

In resolving a controversy over book distribution techniques, Srila Prabhupada did not praise either side, but his main concern was that his disciples work together despite their differences.

Bhakti Vasudeva Swami:

The modes of material nature deal with our everyday reality. We can see people are affected by these different qualities.

When we plan to enjoy by sleeping we are in the mode of ignorance.

The sleep of the Lord is not in the mode of ignorance and is called yoga-nidra. Actually the Lord’s sleep is very active because He creates universes in His sleep.

If we perform acts and another person is hurt, that action is in the mode of ignorance.

The guy in Las Vegas who killed 58 people and injured over 700 people is a typical case of action in ignorance. He will have to be shot in so many lives for his crime.

Mother Yashoda tied her mischievous son Krishna to a grinding mortar. Try doing that now, and you will end up in jail.

Some of the examples given in the Vedic literature, I do not use because people in the West cannot appreciate them.

People commit suicide because they are depressed. They want to change their situation. They think, “Let me rest in peace.” But who says they will rest in peace? This is the mode of ignorance.

74% of Americans experienced loneliness last year, yet on the planet 1 billion people sent 55 messages on WhatsApp. Despite so much social media, people still feel lonely. Loneliness is a symptom of depression, a product of the mode of ignorance.

Personal face-to-face meetings are 34 times more effective than email.

Sometimes when someone asks a person why he did something, he replies, “I do not know why I did it.” That is a sincere expression of his action in ignorance.

If someone does something bad, we should felt pity for them that they are acting in the mode of ignorance.

People in the mode of ignorance do not know how to say, “I am sorry.”

Life is too short for us to play around with our lives.

Procastination destroys our future. Destruction is ignorance. Anything instrumental to destruction is ignorance.

We should read and discuss Bhagavad-gita every day. Because Krishna is Absolute, He is not different from His teachings.

Learning from our mistakes is a symptom of great achievers.

One problem most devotees have is a lack of expertise in time management.

I got a management Ph.D., and in the course of it, I studied time management. I came to realize how much time I was wasting.

If you reject the food your mother prepares for you, she will become angry. Why? The food she prepares is a manifestation of her love. If you are not cooking for your loved ones, you are making a big mistake.

Love is based on a service exchange.

One in the mode of ignorance does not want to render service.

Once in New York City, the devotees were harassed by people when they chanted in a certain place. The devotees chanted in another place for a while. When they came back to the original place. Those who harassed them came up to them and said, “Where have you been?”

Sometimes people attack us. Bhakti Tirtha Swami says that is a call for love. The question is how to respond. Of course, if the people are too aggressive, we should call for the police.

There is a story of Balarama, Satyaki, and Krishna, and a demon who was anger personified. The demon told Balarama that he wanted to eat either Balarama or one of his friends. Balarama was so angry he started fighting the rascal demon. The more angry Balarama became the more the demon increased in size. Balarama become tired. Satyaki took over. The same thing happened. The more angry Satyaki became, larger the demon became, and ultimately Satyaki became tired. Then the demon challenged Krishna in the same way, but Krishna simply laughed. When the demon was thus insulted by not being taken seriously, he became angry, and Krishna just laughed and laughed, and the demon became smaller and smaller until he was the size of a sweetball, and Krishna just popped him in His pocket. Later Balarama and Satyaki were talking about their fierce fight with the demon, and Krishna smilingly produced the sweetball-sized demon from his pocket. They were amazed. The lesson is: if you fight anger with anger it will increase unlimitedly.

Bhakti Ananda Svarupa Caitanya Swami:

Death is a radical point in the life of the living being.

It is said that during the Second World War, of those sent to the death camps, the atheists were completely mad with anxiety but the faithful people simply prayed to the Lord in the heart and were peaceful.

Every day our mind demands that we seek out pleasurable objects for the senses.

As surrendered servants of Yamaraja, the Yamadutas could appreciate the beauty of the Vishnudutas and praise them.

The residents of Manhattan cannot so well appreciate you, as Lord Vishnu’s representatives, as the Yamadutas could appreciate the Vishnudutas. Maybe a few can appreciate, but most cannot.

In Lithuania, the devotees arranged a program called “Meet the Monks” and invited a Christian monk, a Buddhist monk, and myself to speak. Seven hundred people attended.

The Buddhist monk said they vow to follow two hundred principles. The strict ones, if they break one of the principles, dip their finger in a flammable substance and burn it off as a penance. They are so serious that even in the worst cases they still have many remaining fingers.

The devotees are conscious beings who are happy to serve the Lord, and thus they have a higher taste and do not dream of varieties of sense enjoyment.

The Bhagavatam is all about transformation ‒ the radical transformation from the life of a materialist to the life of devotee.

If the Yamadutas, despite their situation, could appreciate the Vishnudutas, we can appreciate the devotees in our life.

Comment by Natabara Gauranga Prabhu: Bhakti Vidya Purna Swami says those in Pitrloka have to leave when their descendents become sinful and do not offer pinda in the sraddha ceremony, and thus they become angry. Yamaraja offers to employ them so they can keep their position, and they become Yamadutas with a hatred for sinful people.

This verse shows the affection the Lord has for His devotees: “The Lord was just about to leave, but because He was so greatly inclined toward the behavior of King Prithu, He did not depart. Seeing the behavior of Maharaja Prithu with His lotus eyes, He was detained because He is always the well-wisher of His devotees.” (Bhagavatam 4.20.20)

Honest people realize their mistakes and punish themselves by performing austerity, and thus they do not need to be punished.

Tapasya is the most universal currency in the world.

The biggest austerity is to follow the instruction of your guru, for that shows you have conquered your ego.

When the gurukulis from Mayapur come to the West, although they do not know some things like how to drive a car, they adapt very easily because they have learned qualities such as humility and truthfulness in the gurukula.

We should not endeavor to acquire more and more knowledge. That is not the proper mentality.

A man asked the pharmacist for tablets for greed. The pharmacist gave him some, and the greedy man asked for more.

If you have a pure attitude, you can maintain your spiritual duties indefinitely, but if you develop the wrong attitude, you will get stuck.

Rama Raya Prabhu:

From a class he gave in Vrindavan:

The Absolute Truth is always beautiful [even here as Lord Nrsimha, being garlanded with the intestines of Hiranyakasipu], and the devotees can always appreciate it while the nondevotees cannot.

The material world is for the nondevotees, those who want to enjoy a fool’s paradise without surrendering to the Lord.

The sahajiya wants to immediately establish an intimate relationship with Krishna without recognizing his fallen nature.

Hiranyakasipu is the embodiment of the nondevotional attitude.

Present day residents of Vrindavan, by sharing their facilities, can best show appreciation to the devotee pilgrims coming to visit.

Those who like Ravana, try to separate Laksmi from Narayana, will also be destroyed.

Krishna and Balarama have appeared in Kali-yuga as Gaura Nitai, and Their weapon is sankirtana.

Our duty is to have 100% faith in Krishna and in developing a relationship with Krishna and in the understanding that Krishna is the only goal for the love of all living entities.

Ananta Gauranga, who travels all over the world with the traveling sankirtana party Harinama Ruci tells me that everywhere people are simply imitating New York.

Srila Prabhupada understood that there are many customers out there for the spiritual knowledge he and his followers were distributing; and therefore, we should be out in public to contact such people.

Srila Prabhupada says we should not consider ourselves great preachers or great devotees, but we should just try to be instruments of the previous acaryas.

I pray that your preaching all over the world will become successful and relishable.

Pavana Nitai Chandra Prabhu:

Once Gaura Govinda Swami asked his audience, “Has anyone of you seen Krishna?”
One bold brahmacari said, “Yes, I have seen Krishna.”
Srila Gaura Govinda Swami replied, “Then I should take the dust from your feet, for I have not seen Krishna.”
Gaura Govinda Swami was making the point that it is very rare to see Krishna.

It is said Lord Nityananda Prabhu is so mad with love of Godhead, he does not differentiate whether people are higher or lower. He gives mercy to everyone.

Govardhan changes size according to Krishna’s needs.

There was a whole town under the hill when Krishna lifted it.

Comment by Adi Purusa Prabhu: It is important we understand a person’s present conception before we share the knowledge we have been given.

Prana Gauranga Prabhu, brahmacari from Montreal:

We are being carried away by the modes of passion and ignorance, just as a person in a dream is carried away by a series of subtle experiences that is provided for him without any say in it.

Knowledge based on mental speculation is always unconclusive, and therefore, in the present day society there is no real knowledge.

Comments by me:

On the importance of sense control, Srila Prabhupada writes, “In all spiritual affairs, one’s first duty is to control his mind and senses. Unless one controls his mind and senses, one cannot make any advancement in spiritual life. Everyone within this material world is engrossed in the modes of passion and ignorance. One must promote himself to the platform of goodness, sattva-guna, by following the instructions of Rupa Gosvami, and then everything concerning how to make further progress will be revealed.” (Nectar of Instruction, Preface).

Ian Stevenson, although his research convinced him about previous and future lives, did not think we could come back as an animal. That shows the limitations of mental speculation.

You can sell a Gita by saying this book gives you information about your past and future lives.

Comment by Jaya Jagannatha:

We say seeing is believing, but actually more frequently hearing is believing, not only in spiritual circles, but in modern society as well. We accept so many things as real because we have heard from some authority. So who we choose as an authority is most crucial.

Comments by Adi Purusa:

People do not know which way to go or which way is up or down.

I saw a snipet of a movie where a lady told her male domestic partner, “I am going to get you a plant. Maybe you can relate to a plant as you are not doing very well relating to humans. At least you might come to the realization: ‘If I do not take care of the plant, by watering it, etc., it will die.’”

Paramananda Gopala Prabhu:

I was in Nepal recently, and I saw a practical demonstration of a common Vedic example. I was in the forest, and I saw an elephant across the river take a bath and then afterward roll around in the dust to dry himself off.

We learn in Bhagavad-gita 2.62 that after we contemplate the objects of the senses, we do not have control of what happens in the future. Attachment, lust, anger, etc., naturally follow. Therefore our free will is in what we contemplate. If we just contemplate devotional objects we will be protected from negative future consequences.

Hatred of the sense objects does not bring us to detachment but is just the other side of attachment.

We have to take advantage of the nature of the mind to control it by following the instructions given by the expert spiritual masters in the revealed literature.

Jai Giridhari Prabhu:

Radhanath Swami stresses avoiding bad association and avoiding offending devotees to be successful in devotional service.

From a lecture by Radhanath Swami I learned that if we find ourselves confused it may because we are hanging on to selfish desires.

If you think about it, in cases where we act improperly, often the cause is a lack of affection, either within ourselves or within another.

There is a story of a very intimate disciple of Radhanath Swami who left for many years and became so distanced he did not even remember Krishna is God, but ultimately he encountered the devotees and the books again, and now is enthusiastically engaged in devotional service once more.

Comment by Jaya Jagannatha Prabhu: Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura says that one who leaves devotional service will be haunted by the ghost of bhakti and thus will soon return, if not in this life, in a future one.

Mahotsaha Prabhu:

The siddha-deha of Gaurakisora Dasa Babaji Maharaj is Guna Manjari, and Guna Manjari descends in Lord Caitanya’s pastimes as Raghunatha Bhatta Goswami.

Raghunatha Bhatta Goswami played an important role as a guru after Lord Caitanya because he came from a Sri Vaishnava brahmana family and so even caste-conscious persons would be willing to take initiation from him.

Gaurakisora Dasa Babaji Maharaj initially refused to initiate Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura saying that because one disciple cheated him he did not want to initiate another.

When you completely lose faith in material arrangements for happiness, you are ready to surrender to a guru.

Seeing Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura felt that his life had no value without getting initiated by him, Gaurakisora Dasa Babaji Maharaja agreed to initiate him.

Seeing Radha-Shyamasundara and Lalita and Visakha on the altar in Vrindavan reminded me of Lord Caitanya who is Radha-Shyamasundara, Svarupa Damodara, who is Lalita, and Ramananda Raya who is Visakha, and their pastimes in the Gambhira.

When people would chant “Jaya Prabhupada!” Srila Prabhupada would say “Jaya Prabhupada!” thinking of his own guru, Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura, who was also called “Prabhupada.”

Only because of the intense desires of the previous acaryas is Krishna consciousness spreading all over the world.

Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura explained that his gurudeva’s bhajana was the engine empowering his preaching.

One lady may hear Radha and Krishna pastimes and cry, and then later hear a Bollywood movie and also cry.

Comment by Bhakta Josh:

Once after Bhaktivinoda Thakura gave a lecture, he saw one old raggedly dressed householder still sitting in back. Upon closer inspection, he realized it was Gaurakisora Das Babaji Maharaja. He asked Babaji Maharaja why he was dressed as a householder. Babaji Maharaja explained, “I find if I dress as a householder no one bothers me, but if I dress as a sadhu so many people harass me.”

Comment by Krishna Prasada Prabhu:

Those who offer food to Gauranga, who are nonvegetarian, adulterous, or who offer food with a motive, do not have their food accepted.

Krishna-kripa das:

From a Facebook post:

[I was annoyed when someone commented on one of my Facebook posts and criticized some ISKCON gurus who are following Srila Prabhupada nicely and who have inspired many others to do so, and who I am convinced Srila Prabhupada and Krishna Himself are very pleased with. It occurred to me that Srila Prabhupada did not publish specific criticisms of his godbrothers or their disciples, listing them by name and defect, and I really doubt he approves of it. Thus I posted this comment on Facebook.]

One proponent of a group claiming to represent Srila Prabhupada better than ISKCON commented on one of my Facebook posts recently. That group publishes a periodical that lists followers of Srila Prabhupada by name and the deviations the group considers they have made. Srila Prabhupada never wrote literature containing lists of the followers of his guru and their deviations, nor did he publish or circulate such literature, nor did he like to read such literature. He did not advocate that his followers read or write such literature either. To blaspheme devotees who have dedicated their lives to propagating the holy name is a great offense blocking one from attaining love of Krishna, life’s goal. I beg at the lotus feet of all those who aspire to be pure followers of Srila Prabhupada that they follow Srila Prabhupada’s perfect example and not read, write, publish, or circulate literature filled with blaspheme of devotees who have dedicated their lives to propagating the holy names. Please protect your tender devotional creeper and those of others and become eligible to attain more quickly the love of Krishna that Srila Prabhupada came to give us all the opportunity to attain. All glories to His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, founder-acarya of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness, beloved disciple of Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura, pure follower of Rupa Goswami, pure devotee of Sri Sri Gaura-Nitai and Sri Sri Radha-Krishna, and savior of the whole world!”

Bhakta Eduard:

From a conversation:

We have to maintain the purity of the movement because only Krishna can attract the jiva. Therefore we have to preach the Absolute Truth.

-----

One verse that is dear to me is one in which Krishna tells us how to easily obtain Him. It was also found listed in the notebook of the celebrated disciple of Srila Prabhupada, Jayananda Prabhu, who was a very surrendered servant and very dedicated to Ratha-yatra. It stresses that we always remember Krishna by including three words meaning “always”: satatam, nityasah, and nitya.

ananya-cetah satatam
yo mam smarati nityasah
tasyaham su-labhah partha
nitya-yuktasya yoginah


For one who always remembers Me without deviation, I am easy to obtain, O son of Pritha, because of his constant engagement in devotional service.” (Bhagavad-gita 8.14)