Saturday, October 07, 2023

Travel Journal#19.18: Upstate NY, Philadelphia, New York City

Diary of a Traveling Sadhaka, Vol. 19, No. 18
By Krishna Kripa Das
(September 2023, part two)
Stuyvesant Falls, Schodack Center, Philadelphia, New York City
(Sent from Brooklyn, New York, on October 7, 2023)

Where I Went and What I Did

I began the second half of September taking care of my guru for three days and taking care of my mother for six days. The first three days when I was taking care of both of them it was pretty intense, as I was also finishing the previous issue of this journal, and I spent an hour and a half driving between their homes. During this time I attended the party they had at the Albany Quaker meetinghouse for my mother’s 99th birthday. I made a sweet for the party, which I offered to my guru’s deities, and during the party I had a nice talk with one of my mother’s interfaith friends. I went to Philadelphia to do harinama and promote the Ratha-yatra. Murari Gupta Prabhu chanted with me the first day. Bruce of the Bhakti Garden chanted with me the second day and many others chanted with me back from Rittenhouse Square to the Bhakti Garden.


The Philly Ratha-yatra was canceled due to rain, so I immediately returned to New York and chanted with Rama Raya Prabhu’s NYC Harinam party for the rest of the month except the last Sunday, when I chanted Hare Krishna with two devotees in Atlantic Avenue / Barclays Center subway station for three hours.


The final day of Sep
tember was my 64th birthday by the solar calendar, and I made pineapple-almond-coconut sweets to offer to Radha-Govinda and share with my friends in New York.

I share quotes from Srila Prabhupada’s Srimad-Bhagavatam, Sri Caitanya-caritamrita, The Nectar of Devotion, and The Path to Perfection, as well as a lecture of his. I share a quote from Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura. I share many notes on Cc. Asraya by Satsvarupa Dasa Goswami. I share notes on lectures by Mahavishnu and Candrasekhara Swamis, and from Pancharatna, Hansarupa, Haryasva, Rama Raya, Nikunjabihari, Yugala Kishor, and Gauranga Natabara Prabhus.

I share notes on soon-to-be-published Back to Godhead articles by Visakha, Satyaraja, Caitanya Carana, Gauranga Darsana, Hari Bhakti and Brajanatha Prabhus. I share a quote by Ekendra Prabhu from a phone conversation and quotes by the devotee scholar, Radhika Raman Prabhu, from a podcast with Caitanya Carana Prabhu.

Thanks to Victor for his kind donation in Albany. Thanks to the devotee from Burma who gave me a donation on my birthday at 26 Second Avenue. Thanks to Haryasva Prabhu for paying for our rides to the Philadelphia temple and back to the Bhakti Garden on Radhastami, so we could see the deities and have the feast. Thanks to Ananda Vrindavan Devi Dasi and Ryan for joining me on Sunday harinama.

Itinerary

September 25–November 16: NYC Harinam
November 17–19: BIHS Conference, Gainesville
November 20–23: Gainesville harinamas
November 24–25: Festival of the Holy Name, Alachua
November 26: Gainesville or Orlando harinama
November 27–January 2024: NYC Harinam

Upstate New York

It was challenging taking care of both my guru and my mother for three and a half days. I had to make the 25-minute trip by car between them twice each day.


On September 16, in between personal care services, I attended an initiation ceremony at Stuyvesant Falls, where four people took initiation from Ravindra Svarupa Prabhu.

Many people from Philadelphia attended as several initiates were from there.

Bhakta Mikey, who invited me to his initiation when I was in Syracuse a couple of weeks before and who is holding the microphone in this picture above, became Maha-premavesa dasa.

Although meeting the devotees in the 1990s and always having some relationship with them since, Maha-premavesa did not take the practice of Krishna consciousness so seriously until 2021, when he saw his friend die in a car accident that he was fortunate enough to walk away from.


I made a saffron-vanilla coconut sweet at my guru’s place to bring to my mother’s 99
th birthday party at the Albany Quaker meetinghouse on September 17. Some people there remembered my coconut sweets from previous visits.


My mother was happy to see friends she had not seen in a long time
. I saw a woman who I had met on harinama in Union Square when she was studying to become an interfaith minister in New York City. This time I shared some favorite verses with her, Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.25.25 and 1.2.6 and Bhagavad-gita 15.15 and 6.5–7, and she liked them all. She also liked Srila Prabhupada explaining to Allen Ginsberg that one who loves Krishna must also love Jesus Christ and one who loves Jesus Christ must also love Krishna.


One friend sent my mother cards made from photographs of her peace vigils for her birthday. This one I took her to last year.


While at my mother’s place, I saw two deer outside the room I was staying in.


The last day I did
harinama with Haridas Prabhu (right) and Rishi Isvara Prabhu (center) of ISKCON Schenectady in Albany, beginning and ending at the New York State Capitol (background). 
We had some positive experiences and plan to do it again next time I’m in Albany.


That night I served my mother some
palak paneer which they made at my guru’s place.

Between Albany and Philadelphia, I chanted Hare Krishna between the 8th Avenue subway and the Moynihan Train Hall in New York City (https://youtu.be/vLr0vJWwE5A):


A young man from Jordan gave a donation and took a pamphlet.

Chanting Hare Krishna in Philadelphia

The day I arrived in Philadelphia, I chanted by myself for an hour at Rittenhouse Square, and then Murari Gupta Prabhu joined me and made this video of the rest of our session (https://youtu.be/VVh3oposi1U):


One man played instruments for several minutes with us.

Haryasva Prabhu felt he was behind in preparing for his Friday night kirtan program, so he decided not to take an Uber to the temple for the noon arati. I told him I would take the bus then. As I prepared to dash off to the bus, he had a change of heart, and so he, Kalki, and I went to the Philly temple for the noon arati on Radhastami.


I was happy to see Radha-Saradbihari, who I danced for in the mid-1980s.

Here Kalki Prabhu chants Hare Krishna during noon arati at ISKCON Philadelphia on Radhastami (https://youtu.be/jh4t13WVW6s):


Haryasva Prabhu continued the chanting there and ended the kirtan (
https://youtu.be/fn_ZewtnMRE):



I made raspberry
halava that morning for Haryasva Prabhu’s Friday night kirtan program at Bhakti Garden, and it came out heavenly, practically tasting like raspberry jam.

When I chanted at Rittenhouse Square that afternoon, Bruce joined me.


I passed out invitations to the Bhakti Garden programs. 


One man did not realize we still had programs there.


Hasyasva Prabhu brought his Bhakti Garden devotees to the park, and we chanted back to his place.

Here Nimai Prabhu chants Hare Krishna with Bhakti Garden devotees on Walnut and Broad Streets in Philadelphia (https://youtu.be/_KbDfF6kCEs):


Sammie chants Hare Krishna with Bhakti Garden devotees on Broad and South Streets in Philadelphia, ending at the door to the Bhakti Garden (
https://youtu.be/AVJ6ISpnKWQ):


Friday nights they do kirtan from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Bhakti Garden.

Here Sammie chants Hare Krishna at the Bhakti Garden Friday night kirtan in Philadelphia on Radhastami (https://youtu.be/UMRfhkbmMCE):


Later Roxanne chanted Hare Krishna there (
https://youtu.be/nsGlR6YFMd8):



As I walked
to and from the city bus transporting me from Haryasva Prabhu's Bhakti Garden to the Chinese bus station on two occasions a guy asked me to play a tune on my instrument, so I chanted one or two Hare Krishna mantras for each of them, in Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love.

Chanting Hare Krishna in New York City


Jaya Goracand Prabhu chants Hare Krishna in Times Square station, and an Indian family plays shakers (
https://youtu.be/f4dKXm-rph4):


Rama Raya Prabhu chants Hare Krishna at Times Square subway station, and two women dance (
https://youtu.be/SzsyGB65-xM):


Rama Raya Prabhu chants Hare Krishna at Times Square subway station, and many dance (
https://youtu.be/fCzQVwJ9oJk):


Rama Raya Prabhu chants Hare Krishna at Times Square subway station, and Ryan and a woman both dance (
https://youtu.be/2y883_vRy8s):


Acarya-nistha Prabhu chants Hare Krishna at Guru Puja kirtan at ISKCON NYC (
https://youtu.be/8XQBpZPdovk):


Bhakta Ryan chants Hare Krishna at Atlantic Avenue / Barclays Center subway station in Brooklyn on a rainy Sunday (
https://youtu.be/H7tIu8akYwU):


While Ryan sang, Ananda Vrindavan Devi Dasi, a disciple of Janananda Goswami from The Netherlands, played karatalas and chased after interested people with invitations and pamphlets.


I took the Sunday feast with Meru, who comes on harinama and regularly attends temple programs.

Here Ananda Vrindavan Devi Dasi chants Hare Krishna at Times Square subway station (https://youtu.be/6wmcqKfKtnI):



I also chanted there.

Rama Raya Prabhu chants Hare Krishna, and a man wearing a skirt dances (https://youtu.be/UumBN0FEEjc):


Acarya-nistha Prabhu chants Hare Krishna in Atlantic Avenue / Barclays Center subway station, and devotees dance (
https://youtu.be/5WPKn3r-rJY):


Natabara Gauranga Prabhu chants Hare Krishna in the Atlantic Avenue / Barclays Center subway station, and a man plays flute
(https://youtu.be/h74EOzqw7ng):


Jaya Goracand Prabhu chants Hare Krishna in Atlantic Avenue / Barclays Center subway station (
https://youtu.be/8SOXPO9UqsY):


Abhay Prabhu, brother of Arjunananda Prabhu, chants Hare Krishna in Atlantic Avenue / Barclays Center subway station (
https://youtu.be/s7MPx84nTVE):


I also chanted Hare Krishna there (https://youtu.be/vaZ5Wcv5CS8):



Every fall when I’m back in NYC I meet people at Columbus Circle like Alynna here, who have fond memories of Govinda’s and the Sunday Feast at West 55th St. from over 40 years ago. We hope she can make it to Brooklyn to continue her interest.


The first person I gave “On Chanting Hare Krishna” to I told, “This is our free literature, but we have books on the table for serious readers.”


The second I told, “We have amazing books on the table, if you like to read.” Both went straight to the table, and ultimately purchased a
bhakta stack from Narada Muni Prabhu.

I also chanted Hare Krishna at Columbus Circle (https://youtu.be/LnoSKwnmW8U):


At the end of the day while Rama Raya Prabhu
chanted Hare Krishna at Columbus Circle, kids played shakers (https://youtu.be/8hZ8HjRmWNk):


Janaki Devi Dasi chants Hare Krishna in Union Square
(https://youtu.be/guQF9QBL9g8):


Premamani Devi Dasi chants Hare Krishna in Union Square subway station, and high school girls dance (https://youtu.be/yss8gQGMSIM):


Hadai Prana Prabhu chants Hare Krishna
there, too, and passersby dance (https://youtu.be/mldfXYzaLEI):


Rama Raya Prabhu chants Hare Krishna in Union Square subway station
(https://youtu.be/laoeU98z8Ys):



This young Russian woman, along with her family, watched our
harinama party as we set up in Times Square subway station. As a teenager she loved seeing the devotees chanting Hare Krishna in her town near the Urals. Once we began to chant, her son loved playing the shakers with us.

Jayananda Prabhu chants Hare Krishna in Times Square subway station (https://youtu.be/Cw6eCtvT3Bo):


I
also chanted Hare Krishna there (https://youtu.be/ZoKvkvnavB8):


Acarya-nistha Prabhu chants Hare Krishna in Times Square subway station (https://youtu.be/o7as-LIeg4s):



When this woman lived in the Dominican Republic, the devotees fed her pregnant sister, who was unemployed and low on funds, along with her housemates. The woman said she would never forget that, and she took a video of the harinama to send to her sister and had me wave to her on a video call.

I chanted Hare Krishna at Washington Square Park on my 64th birthday (https://youtu.be/CI7CAyziZhg):


While
Ryan chanted Hare Krishna there, a young Guatemalan woman danced (https://youtu.be/bYzjRreDt0M):


Special Photos


Some people share their theism through T-shirt slogans like this masked woman.


I never rode in an Uber with such a variety of phone charging facilities so easily available!


New Yorkers were defeated by gusty winds in their attempt to protect themselves from the rain as the discarded broken umbrellas reveal.


My mother got this funny card on her birthday!
It advises avoiding complainers and having a great birthday.

Insights

Srila Prabhupada:

From Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.19.16:

I pray that if I should again take my birth in the material world I will have complete attachment to the unlimited Lord Krishna, association with His devotees and friendly relations with all living beings.”

From Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.9.11:

O my Lord, Your devotees can see You through the ears by the process of bona fide hearing, and thus their hearts become cleansed, and You take Your seat there. You are so merciful to Your devotees that You manifest Yourself in the particular eternal form of transcendence in which they always think of You.”

From Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.25.37:

[Lord Kapila said to Devahuti:] “Thus because he is completely absorbed in thought of Me, the devotee does not desire even the highest benediction obtainable in the upper planetary systems, including Satyaloka. He does not desire the eight material perfections obtained from mystic yoga, nor does he desire to be elevated to the kingdom of God. Yet even without desiring them, the devotee enjoys, even in this life, all the offered benedictions.”

From Srimad-Bhagavatam 4.31.19:

[Narada Muni Prabhu:] “By showing mercy to all living entities, being satisfied somehow or other and controlling the senses from sense enjoyment, one can very quickly satisfy the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Janardana.”

From Srimad-Bhagavatam 4.24.10, purport:

At the present moment there is a similar need to perform sankirtana-yajña all over the world. The Krishna consciousness movement has started performing sankirtana-yajña in different places, and it has been experienced that wherever sankirtana-yajña is performed, many thousands of people gather and take part in it. Imperceptible auspiciousness achieved in this connection should be continued all over the world. so much that all the people of the world will either jokingly or seriously chant Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare / Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare, and thus they will derive the benefit of cleansing the heart. The holy name of the Lord (harer nama) is so powerful that whether it is chanted jokingly or seriously the effect of vibrating this transcendental sound will be equally distributed. It is not possible at the present moment to perform repeated yajñas as Maharaja Barhisat performed, but it is within our means to perform sankirtana-yajña, which does not cost anything. One can sit down anywhere and chant Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare / Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare. If the surface of the globe is overflooded with the chanting of the Hare Krishna mantra, the people of the world will be very, very happy.”

From Srimad-Bhagavatam 4.30.33:

[The Precetas pray:] “Dear Lord, as long as we have to remain within this material world due to our material contamination and wander from one type of body to another and from one planet to another, we pray that we may associate with those who are engaged in discussing Your pastimes. We pray for this benediction life after life, in different bodily forms and on different planets.”

From Srimad-Bhagavatam 6.16.39, purport:

The perfection of life is to be uninterested in material enjoyment and interested in Krishna. If one comes to Krishna consciousness somehow or other, even for material gain, the result is that he will be liberated. Kamad dvesad bhayat snehat. Whether for the satisfaction of material desires, because of the influence of envy, because of fear, because of affection or because of any other reason, if one comes to Krishna, his life is successful.”

From Srimad-Bhagavatam 9.4.64:

O best of the brahmanas, without saintly persons for whom I am the only destination, I do not desire to enjoy My transcendental bliss and My supreme opulences.”

From Srimad-Bhagavatam 10.82.44:

“‘Devotional service rendered to Me by the living beings revives their eternal life. O My dear damsels of Vraja, your affection for Me is your good fortune, for it is the only means by which you have obtained My favor.’”

From Sri Caitanya-caritamrita, Adi 4.30, purport:

Those under the spell of the material energy cannot at all appreciate the activities of yogamaya, for a conditioned soul can hardly understand the pure reciprocation between the Lord and His devotee. But by executing devotional service under the regulative principles, one can become very highly elevated and then begin to appreciate the dealings of pure love under the management of yogamaya.

The Lord Himself appears before the mundaners to bestow upon them the highest form of spiritual realization and also personally relish its essence. The Lord is so merciful that He Himself descends to take the fallen souls back home to the kingdom of Godhead, where the erotic principles of Godhead are eternally relished in their real form, distinct from the perverted sexual love so much adored and indulged in by the fallen souls in their diseased condition. The reason the Lord displays the rasa-lila is essentially to induce all the fallen souls to give up their diseased morality and religiosity, and to attract them to the kingdom of God to enjoy the reality. A person who actually understands what the rasa-lila is will certainly hate to indulge in mundane sex life. For the realized soul, hearing the Lord’s rasa-lila through the proper channel will result in complete abstinence from material sexual pleasure.”

From Sri Caitanya-caritamrita, Adi 4.31, purport:

The spontaneous attraction of Sri Krishna for His dearest parts and parcels generates an enthusiasm that obliges Sri Krishna and the gopis to meet together. To celebrate this transcendental enthusiasm, there is need of a sentiment of separation between the lover and beloved. In the condition of material tribulation, no one wants the pangs of separation. But in the transcendental form, the very same separation, being absolute in its nature, strengthens the ties of love and enhances the desire of the lover and beloved to meet. The period of separation, evaluated transcendentally, is more relishable than the actual meeting, which lacks the feelings of increasing anticipation because the lover and beloved are both present.”

From Sri Caitanya-caritamrita, Adi 4.34, purport:

Special natural appreciation of the descriptions of a particular pastime of Godhead indicates the constitutional position of a living entity. Adoration, servitorship, friendship, parental affection and conjugal love are the five primary relationships with Krishna. The highest perfectional stage of the conjugal relationship, enriched by many sentiments, gives the maximum relishable mellow to the devotee.”

From Sri Caitanya-caritamrita, Adi 4.35, purport:

One who has not been attracted by the transcendental beauty of rasa will certainly be dragged down into material attraction, thus to act in material contamination and progress to the darkest region of hellish life. But by understanding the conjugal love of Radha and Krishna one is freed from the grip of attraction to material so-called love between man and woman. Similarly, one who understands the pure parental love of Nanda and Yacoda for Krishna will be saved from being dragged into material parental affection. If one accepts Krishna as the supreme friend, the attraction of material friendship will be finished for him, and he will not be dismayed by so-called friendship with mundane wranglers. If he is attracted by servitorship to Krishna, he will no longer have to serve the material body in the degraded status of material existence, with the false hope of becoming master in the future. Similarly, one who sees the greatness of Krishna in neutrality will certainly never again seek the so-called relief of impersonalist or voidist philosophy. If one is not attracted by the transcendental nature of Krishna, one is sure to be attracted to material enjoyment, thus to become implicated in the clinging network of virtuous and sinful activities and to continue material existence by transmigrating from one material body to another. Only in Krishna consciousness can one achieve the highest perfection of life.”

From Sri Caitanya-caritamrita, Adi 4.41, purport:

Anyone who accepts God as the Supreme can take to the process of chanting Hare Krishna and become a lover of God.”

Four kinds of devotees are the receptacles of the four kinds of mellows in love of God, namely servitude, friendship, parental affection and conjugal love. Each kind of devotee feels that his sentiment is the most excellent, and thus in that mood he tastes great happiness with Lord Krishna. But if we compare the sentiments in an impartial mood, we find that the conjugal sentiment is superior to all others in sweetness. ‘Increasing love is experienced in various tastes, one above another. But that love which has the highest taste in the gradual succession of desire manifests itself in the form of conjugal love.’”

From Sri Caitanya-caritamrita, Adi 4.50, purport:

The transcendental mellow relished by the gopis in Vraja is superexcellently featured in Srimati Radharani. Mature assimilation of the transcendental humor of conjugal love is represented by Srimati Radharani, whose feelings are incomprehensible even to the Lord Himself. The intensity of Her loving service is the highest form of ecstasy. No one can surpass Srimati Radharani in relishing the qualities of the Lord through this supreme transcendental mellow. Therefore the Lord Himself agreed to assume the position of Radharani in the form of Lord Sri Gauranga. He then relished the highest position of parakiya-rasa, as exhibited in the transcendental abode of Vraja.”

From Sri Caitanya-caritamrita, Madhya 24.201:

The original nature of every living entity is to consider himself the eternal servant of Krishna. But under the influence of maya he thinks himself to be the body, and thus his original consciousness is covered.”

From Sri Caitanya-caritamrita, Madhya 24.205:

Everyone is eligible to receive Krishna’s mercy—including Vyasadeva, the four Kumaras, Sukadeva Gosvami, lowborn creatures, trees, plants and beasts. By Krishna’s mercy they are elevated and engaged in His service.”

From Sri Caitanya-caritamrita, Madhya 24.205, purport:

Everyone is eligible to become Krishna’s devotee. One simply has to be trained according to the approved process. It is the work of Krishna’s confidential devotees to turn everyone into a Krishna bhakta. If the confidential devotees do not take up the task of elevating everyone to Krishna consciousness, then who will do it? Those who claim to be devotees but do not engage in Krishna’s service to elevate all living creatures to Krishna consciousness are to be considered kanistha-adhikaris (people in the lowest stage of devotional service). When one rises to the second platform of devotional service, his business is to propagate Krishna consciousness all over the world. Those who are active in the Krishna consciousness movement should not remain in the neophyte stage but should rise to the platform of preachers, the second platform of devotional service. Devotional service is so enchanting that even the first-class devotees (uttama-adhikaris) also come down to the second platform to preach and render service to the Lord for the benefit of the whole world.”

From Sri Caitanya-caritamrita, Madhya 24.257, purport:

The source of our income is not actually the source of our maintenance. Every living being—from the great Brahma down to an insignificant ant—is being maintained by the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Eko bahunam yo vidadhati kaman. The one Supreme Being, Krishna, maintains everyone. Our so-called source of income is our own choice only. If I wish to be a hunter, it will appear that hunting is the source of my maintenance. If I become a brahmana and completely depend on Krishna, I do not conduct a business, but nonetheless my maintenance is supplied by Krishna.”

From Sri Caitanya-caritamrita, Madhya 25.128 [Srimad-Bhagavatam 11.2.55]:

Hari, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who destroys everything inauspicious for His devotees, does not leave the hearts of His devotees even if they remember Him and chant about Him inattentively. This is because the rope of love always binds the Lord within the devotees’ hearts. Such devotees should be accepted as most elevated.”

From Sri Caitanya-caritamrita, Madhya 25.154:

Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu continued, ‘Always discuss Srimad-Bhagavatam and constantly chant the holy name of Lord Krishna. In this way you will be able to attain liberation very easily, and you will be elevated to the enjoyment of love of Godhead.’” (Cc. Madhya 25.154)

From Sri Caitanya-caritamrita, Antya 1.197, purport:

Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu bestowed His special favor upon Srila Rupa Gosvami because Rupa Gosvami wanted to serve the Lord to the best of his ability. Such is the reciprocation between the devotee and the Lord in the discharge of devotional duties.”

From The Nectar of Devotion, Chapter 34:

No one, while remaining on the material platform, should discuss these different descriptions of bhava and anubhava by quoting different statements of transcendental literatures. Such manifestations are displays of the transcendental pleasure potency of the Lord. One should simply try to understand that on the spiritual platform there are many varieties of reciprocal love. Such loving exchanges should never be considered to be material. In the Mahabharata, Udyama-parva, it is warned that things that are inconceivable should not be subjected to arguments. Actually, the transactions of the spiritual world are inconceivable to us in our present state of life. Great liberated souls like Rupa Gosvami and others have tried to give us some hints of transcendental activities in the spiritual world, but on the whole these transactions will remain inconceivable to us at the present moment. Understanding the exchanges of transcendental loving service with Krishna is possible only when one is actually in touch with the pleasure potency of the Supreme Lord.”

Those who are not devotees can never achieve the benefits of devotional service. For them the subject of devotional service is always very difficult to understand. Only persons who have dedicated their lives unto the lotus feet of the Supreme Personality of Godhead can relish the real nectar of devotion.

When one transcends the status of ecstatic love and thus becomes situated on the highest platform of pure goodness, one is understood to have cleansed the heart of all material contamination. In that pure stage of life, one can taste this nectar, and this tasting capacity is technically called rasa, or transcendental mood.”

The devotees and self-realized persons who are engaged in preaching the glories of the Lord always maintain an ecstatic love for the Lord within their hearts. Thus they are benefited by the rays of the ecstatic moon, and they are called saintly persons.”

From The Nectar of Devotion, Chapter 36:

One resident of Vrindavan once told Lord Krishna, ‘My dear Krishna, . . . Since we have heard about Your ever-increasing transcendental love, we have voluntarily engaged ourselves in Your transcendental service.’”

From “Getting Out of the Darkness of Ignorance” in Back to Godhead, Vol. 58, No. 1 (Jan/Feb 2024):

[An edited transcript of a lecture on Śrīmad-Bhāgavatam 1.2.4 in Rome on May 28, 1974.]

We are expanding Krishna consciousness. That is required because the cats’ and dogs’ civilization will therefore be controlled.”

From Path of Perfection, Chapter 1:

Perhaps you have seen pictures of Krishna, and if so, you have noticed that Krishna is always jolly. If you join His society, you will also become jolly. Have you ever seen pictures of Krishna working with a machine? Have you ever seen pictures of Krishna smoking? No, He is by nature full of pleasure, and if you unfold yourself in that way, you will also find pleasure. Pleasure cannot be found artificially.”

The humble servants of Srila Prabhupada:

From Srimad-Bhagavatam 10.41.51:

Sudama chose unshakable devotion for Krishna, the Supreme Soul of all existence; friendship with His devotees; and transcendental compassion for all living beings.”

From Srimad-Bhagavatam 11.3.30:

One should learn how to associate with the devotees of the Lord by gathering with them to chant the glories of the Lord. This process is most purifying. As devotees thus develop their loving friendship, they feel mutual happiness and satisfaction. And by thus encouraging one another they are able to give up material sense gratification, which is the cause of all suffering.”

Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura:

From Sri Caitanya’s Teachings:

Sri Krishna shows Himself to those who prefer His service to any other occupation.”

Satsvarupa Dasa Goswami:

From Cc. Asraya:

The first step in spiritual knowledge is to know that there is life after death. When we know this, we don’t waste time pursuing material opulence because it doesn’t free us from the cycle of birth and death. With this beginning knowledge, we can go on to become pure devotees.”

It is trusting faith that puts us into the presence of God, and it is within this awareness that the monk does his reading.”

The monk puts himself in a disposition of listening to that word which the Lord wishes to address to him properly, perhaps today. This may be only one word, yet if this word makes him live, then ‘lectio’ [divine reading] has already borne its fruit.”

For a little material desire you’ll have to be reborn. Krishna wants you to have full experience (Prabhupada says) that this material world cannot bring you happiness, so He liberally allows you to stay and try. But if one is sincere, then Krishna’s special mercy is to crush his material happiness. Devotional service is therefore dangerous; it’s no bluff. Materialists keep away from it. Krishna’s devotee is akiñcana-gocarah, materially exhausted. Am I?”

Krishna consciousness is gradually being spread to every town and village throughout the world, as Lord Caitanya predicted, because of the ‘solid logic and scientific presentation’ of Srila Prabhupada and his followers. Many people don’t accept it, but it is spreading gradually regardless.”

“‘The bird doesn’t sing because he has the answer but because he has the song.’ (Chinese proverb) Sing the song of God. Sing your realization. Sing your ecstatic tune in kirtana. Hare Krishna Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna Hare Hare—it’s singing, isn’t it? Sing the song of God. Sing the song you are meant to sing.”

As Prabhupada said, facts are facts; transmigration is going on whether you believe it or not. You will have to die and be reborn. Therefore, it’s better not to listen to music or to do things that don’t specifically remind you of Krishna, even if the materialists would mock you for it. At the same time, you have to find the best way to preach, to surrender, to be a devotee.”

Reading Cc. with the Bhaktivedanta purports is good for me. If I can trick myself into doing it, I’ll be a winner, and I’ll be able to help the world.”

Krishna is demanding our emotional attachment. He gives Himself to His devotees, so we have to give ourselves to Him. We begin by performing tapasya, obeying the guru, and preaching.”

The philosophy is stern, uncompromising, rigorous, basic. I agree with it, but I keep asking myself for something soothing. . . . Soft kirtanas are nice, as Prabhupada wanted to hear in his last days—soft, with a tiny pair of karatalas.

I have heard that sastra is like the guru, drama is like a friend, poetry is like a lover—something like that.”

I hear that if we have any material taint, we can’t go back to Godhead. He [Krishna] says in effect, ‘You don’t want Me badly enough; you still want to enjoy in this material world. Stay here and learn your lessons until you are ready to give up everything for My service.’”

Ask Him to reveal Himself. Don’t be afraid, ‘But if I surrender to Krishna and call out to Him, He may ask me to become the president of the temple in New Delhi.’”

The search for God in the written word is what constitutes this goal. The goal is therefore an encounter with a beloved Person, and this is never to be done feverishly and with agitation.”

Damodara Pandita was simple but impudent in daring to advise the Lord to behave more strictly as a sannyasi. The Lord sent him to live with Mother Saci and the devotees in Navadvipa. It is a great privilege to live close to the Lord. If you are not fit you may be sent away. The pure devotee goes on serving Him wherever he may be.”

When Prabhupada mentions ISKCON’s enemies in the Cc., he often relates them to those who are envious of his own work of spreading the Hare Krishna movement (he wrote these purports in the 1970s). We should honor his work and be faithful. We should see ISKCON—despite its apparent faults—as the fulfillment of Lord Caitanya’s prediction that the holy name be spread to every town and village. Nothing is pure in the beginning. Bhaktivinoda Ṭhakura states, ‘From imperfection, purity will come about.’”

In one sense, we can say that it was his vow of numerical strength that protected him [Haridasa Thakura]. We’re also protected by our vow every day, and by keeping it strictly, maya will not be able to attack us.”

May Lord Caitanya sprinkle His mercy upon me as I go on reading even though imperfectly, sporadically, and casually, and may I sometimes remember this deeper mood and silently call to Krishna within: ‘My dear Lord, I’m exposing myself to You directly by reading the scriptures. Please come to me in this form. Please let me hear You through the sound vibration of the holy book.’”

A monk doesn’t require to know many things about the world; he doesn’t even need to know many things about Krishna. All he needs to know is that Krishna is Syamasundara, the son of Nanda, and a few other things. All he has to do is to keep reading and taking in whatever he can, even when he is not sure the book speaks to his heart. It does. He reads on that faith.”

Krishna works through His devotees. In ISKCON, Prabhupada also works through his devotees.”

We overcome obstacles by being determined to continue. We go back to it again and again.”

I have a live hunger for the Bhagavatam. I’ll continue with it because Krishna is blessing me, canvassing all of us, ‘Come on, think of Me. Be My lover, bow down to Me, and come to Me.’ Yes, Krishna is calling me. I will answer the call. The sound of the flute is still faint, but I do hear something and I’m heading in that direction. Hare Krishna. I admit I struggle; although the process is easy, we foolishly resist.”

The standard is clear, despite failures and hypocrisy. It’s sometimes hard to bear and hard to hear: one should not allow any pleasure for his own gratification but should live simply for Krishna’s pleasure. Yet we are taught that love of God is easy and that it can be achieved just by singing, dancing, and taking prasadam—if done in the right attitude.”

We don’t have to finish a chapter or even a book, but we need to stay immersed in appreciative thought and feeling while reading.”

Do I want to hear about the conjugal rasaIt’s here in Prabhupada’s books. I like to read whatever he gives. Now he praises Mother Yasoda, now he defends ISKCON, now he condemns the materialists, now he discusses the gopis. Stay and hear it all, and we will be satisfied.”

Prayer before reading: It need not be lengthy; in its simplest form, we can merely pray and ask, ‘Lord, speak to me.’
Our reading of scripture is not reading for the sake of reading. It is reading for the sake of listening to Him who loves us.
When we listen to someone we first of all have to pay attention to him, and not to whatever else may be going on around us. If we are particularly distracted by cares and concerns, we may have to sit quietly for a few minutes, relaxing, putting distractions out of our mind.”

Svarupa Damodara and other great devotees took charge of distributing the prasadam. Not that Svarupa Damodara insisted on eating first, alone with Lord Caitanya.”

Vallabha Bhaṭṭa forced himself on Gadadhara Pandita and began to read his writings with great force. Gadadhara Pandita felt that he could not forbid Vallabha Bhaṭṭa and thus began to pray to Lord Krishna for protection. ‘Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu is present in everyone’s heart, and He will certainly know my mind. Therefore I do not fear Him. His associates, however, are extremely critical.’ (Cc. Antya 7.98)

This verse is a typical example of why we love Caitanya-caritamrita. It seems so close to our own ISKCON experience. We may remember this verse when we are sometimes criticized, and we may strive for the same faith that Krishna knows our good intentions. Of course, confidential relationships among devotees where devotees also understand our intentions are encouraging. Prabhupada called it ‘love and trust.’ But this is an example of how Krishna becomes the devotee’s last resort even when his Godbrothers seem to abandon him.”

When a day goes by and we don’t read scripture, it’s like a day without physical exercise. The longer we go without it, the more out of shape we will find ourselves. Each day we neglect it, the harder it becomes to return to it. We have to have an abiding trust that it’s always good for us, even if we can’t find the nectar or we’re not attentive at the time.”

Reading is therefore the best preparation and the best thing we can do for others because when we are filled with sastra, not in a stuffy way but with feeling, we truly have something to share.”

Sastra is not ordinary and cannot be approached as if it is. We have to have faith that the sastra contains depths of meaning that are not yet open to us. We do have to admit that if we look at any verse, we haven’t really understood it at all.”

So-called overfamiliarity is a ruse. It is maya’s trick. It’s the Devil speaking into our ear, ‘Come on, you’ve already read this scripture. Why don’t you go on to something else? You already know about God.’”

It may seem strange or morbid for a person to want to die, but when you grow old, you begin to face the fact that you will have to die sooner or later. Our goal shouldn’t be to hang on as long as possible, but to depart under ideal conditions. No one can live forever in this body, in this world. Haridasa’s wish and its fulfillment are actually a great triumph, and to hear of them is both sobering and liberating.”

Whoever participates in the festival of Haridasa Ṭhakura’s passing away will soon obtain Krishna’s mercy. In what form? Krishna may take away our material honor and give us refuge at His lotus feet, as he did for Haridasa Ṭhakura and Rupa and Sanatana Gosvamis. Stand by, chant, and pray to be delivered.”

We don’t have to invent some extraordinary method to make advancement. We simply have to capitalize on whatever mercy we have already been given by the guru.

Mahavishnu Swami:

Q (by me): Why is sannyasa special for preaching?
A: It is a irrevocable commitment to preaching. It is a tactic for getting respect and support for preaching, and donations as well. It is a practical ashram for preaching.

Sometimes disciples of Narayana Maharaja put him on the same level as Srila Prabhupada, but from the sannyasa pastime of Srila Prabhupada we learn that he is actually a disciple of Srila Prabhupada’s godbrother, Keshava Maharaja.

Candrasekhara Swami:

All Haridasa Thakura wanted to do was to chant the holy name. He did not want political power. He did not want to eclipse anyone’s reputation. He just wanted to chant the holy name. Yet even he had to encounter people who gave him difficulty.

If you can win the battle of paying attention to the holy name, you will not have to become purified by more unpalatable ways of attaining purification.

Ravindra Svarupa Prabhu:

One religion professor said the real question is not, “Does God exist?”, but rather is “Is God available?”
The answer is yes, in the form of His holy name. You can carry Him around in your mouth.

One religion professor came to the temple. I noticed he was chanting with the devotees, and I mentioned that to him. He smiled, “Yes, I got so many good ideas.” [Of course, as devotees, we are not chanting to get good ideas.]

Pancaratna Prabhu:

Hearing of Krishna’s amazing qualities helps a devotee develop love for Him.

The first lesson in the Vamana pastime is that if our guru advises us not to serve Krishna, we should reject him.

Bhaktivinoda Thakura is the first person to take Western advancement and use it in the service of Lord Caitanya’s teachings. This was continued by Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura and reached its culmination in Srila Prabhupada.

Bhaktvinoda Thakura attained the highest position an Indian could attain in the British civil service, moving from a sixth level to second level officer.

After an eight-year search at age 30, he finally found Sri Caitanya-caritamrita. He developed faith in Lord Caitanya upon his first reading of the book. He accepted Lord Caitanya as a great theistic educator upon the second reading, but had doubts about His recommendation of the worship of Krishna who appeared to be a debauchee. He prayed to the Lord to understand it, and he came to accept Lord Caitanya as God.

In 1870 he was posted to Puri.

The British felt because of morality that they were superior to the Hindus, but Bhaktivinoda, who was famous for his ethics and morality, could reestablish respectability of Hinduism.

He formed the Viswa Vaishnava Raja Sabha, the first global Vaishnava organization.

In the last days of his presence with us Srila Prabhupada indicated in a conversation with Giriraja Swami that intelligence and organization would be the way that his movement would continue.

In 1881 he started Sajjana-tosani.

In 1886 he was given the title Bhaktivinoda by senior Gaudiya Vaishnavas including his diksa guru, Bipin Bihari.

In 1894 he retired and moved to Mayapur.

The vision of the glowing light across the river was seen not from his home in Godrumadvipa, but from a Dharmasala in Navadvipa.

The village where the Yoga-pithi was discovered is still a Muslim village. Many of the villages around Mayapur are a mixture of Hindus and Muslims, but that village is purely Muslim. In fact, they pride themselves on not being Hindus who converted to Islam but being descendants of the Pathans.

Bhaktivinoda Thakura revealed Navadvipa-dhama. He established nama-hatta. He used the printing press to spread his teachings. He revealed the lila of Lord Caitanya. He wrote songs and poetry. He presented in English.

Visakha Devi Dasi:

From “Ever Fresh” in Back to Godhead, Vol. 58, No. 1 (Jan/Feb 2024):

In other words, rather than trying to impress us with new information and thus increase our stock of knowledge, Srila Prabhupada injected new life and relevance into what we had already learned from him. This, to me, is a sign of Srila Prabhupada’s brilliant, assimilated, and realized wisdom: he consistently and repeatedly made basic concepts – such as we’re not our body or mind but spiritual beings – awaken from some inert state, shake off their slumber, and pirouette attractively before us. To have a glimmer of spiritual awakening is a uniquely freeing, elevating feeling, and all we have to do to attain it is to pay attention to Srila Prabhupada’s words – to actually listen to what he says. Which, despite its apparent simplicity, is immensely difficult. Yet this is the key to the fresh spiritual experiences we yearn for.”

How do we maintain this spirit of freshness amid the apparent sameness of sadhana? In one word, by our enthusiasm.”

Satyaraja Prabhu:

From “Of Mud and Magnets: Krishna as ‘the All-attractive One’” in Back to Godhead, Vol. 58, No. 1 (Jan/Feb 2024):

As Srila Rupa Gosvami confirms, ‘Krishna attracts everyone, but devotional service attracts even Him.’ And his words are echoed by Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti Ṭhakura, particularly in our current context: ‘Prema assumes the nature of a magnet that attracts the black ironlike Sri Krishna, making Him actually appear before the devotee.’”

Hansarupa Prabhu:

In certain cultures the elders are respected or the sannyasis are respected. In America, no one is respected.

Srila Prabhupada encouraged people to engage in his service just by his association.

The nondevotees also have a service spirit, but it is directed in different ways.

One realizes that by serving the spiritual master one attains the satisfaction that he found missing in other relationships.

As soon as one realizes he has the association of a pure devotee, he should take advantage of his association.

I was sitting in Srila Prabhupada’s presence as a visitor who had not committed. When he spoke in such a way that I immediately saw the difference between illusion and reality, I realized he was my guru.

There is nothing from the academic point of view that you can do to acquire knowledge that can compare to what you get from service to the pure devotee.

We have the original text, Bhagavad-gita, in the original language. It is the ultimate secret of all secrets.

Srila Prabhupada expelled a few individuals from his movement who misunderstood the guru as being identical with God because he did not want this movement which is meant to spread Lord Caitanya’s teachings all over the world foiled by a few people. He was not sentimental.

Our devotee dress helps us to remain in our position of being servant of Srila Prabhupada wherever we go.

You hear people of all ages saying, “No one tells me what to do.” Krishna will pound such people until they understand that they are not independent or supreme.

We should take advantage of this knowledge and realization because we do not know when maya will cover us.

Sometimes young devotees are incredibly advanced. Why? They performed some sincere service in this life or a previous one.

There is no need to experience everything yourself. In the pages of Srimad-Bhagavatam you see people who have made all the mistakes, so we can learn by hearing of these.

There is a saying: “Constantly do what you have always done, and you will get what you always got.”

We have our routine activities. But you do not get a medal for doing routine duties. You get a medal for going beyond the call of duty. Every day we should try do something beyond the call of duty.

We have access to eternal life now because we can engage on that platform.

We join this movement to have genuine relationships.

Srila Prabhupada told Acyutananda, “Never trust a swami who doesn’t dance.”

I was into the hippie scene when I became interested in Krishna consciousness. At the Henry Street temple, when I first saw a picture of Krishna holding His flute, I asked, “What is He smoking?”
Dravida explained, “Krishna is playing His flute!”

Comment by me:

You mention that Srila Prabhupada’s servants could not last so long. That reminded me of when I served Satsvarupa Dasa Goswami for four weeks. Baladeva considered that I made too many mistakes the last week, so he told me to come for three weeks in the future.

I was talking to some nondevotees who saw the Hare Krishna film. I was explaining that in the film you can see that the devotees appreciated the spiritual gifts that Srila Prabhupada had given them, and therefore, they had enthusiastically dedicated themselves to his service. It was not that he had some special charisma or power to mystify people. They said that that point really came through in the film.

In 1976 when Srila Prabhupada came to New York City, he asked about all the devotees who were not present. He recalled the different services they had done which had pleased him, and he encouraged them to come back, giving them such special attention that I was envious. After Srila Prabhupada left, most of them disappeared again, but Srila Prabhupada out of his compassion had wanted to give them another chance.

One devotee felt he was so disqualified that he could never go back to Godhead. Srila Prabhupada told him, “I have a short cut. Just hold on to my dhoti.

Do something that no one is willing to do or that no one can do that Srila Prabhupada wants, and then you will have no real problems because Srila Prabhupada will always be pleased with you.

Alankara Prabhu told me that Srila Prabhupada once said, “If you don’t accept Krishna’s invitation, Krishna is going to stop inviting you.”

Haryasva Prabhu:

I figured out why devotees are special: because Krishna moves through them.

Humiliation usually comes before humility.

[He says he got that from Tamal Krishna Goswami, who would also say “be humble or be humbled.”]

Self-righteousness immediately wipes out gratitude.

Krishna wants them to surrender. Caitanya wants to give it to them. Nityananda wants to make sure they take it.

Rama Raya Prabhu:

The British dominated India for 190 years, so it was a great victory for Srila Prabhupada establishing Sri Sri Radha-Londonisvara in London.

Withholding truth is also lying. It is said that the world will not be destroyed by bad people doing bad things but by good people remaining silent.

What better parikrama leader than Lord Nityananda and what better parikrama pilgrim than Jiva Goswami?

Comment: The Kauravas failing to protest the disrobing of Draupadi destroyed their whole dynasty.

Nikunjabihari Prabhu:

When Krishna saw that the gopis were completely free from their false pride, then Krishna reappeared before them. Their faces brightened, and it was as if their life air had reentered their bodies.

Ekendra Prabhu:

Youth is practically the most potent drug there is.

Yugala Kishor Prabhu:

When we understand that wherever we are, we are being watched by the Supersoul, our spiritual life begins.

After one acquaintance left his body in my presence, it occurred to me in a very deep way that you never see the person you love and you never see yourself.

To the extent that we are absorbed in bodily consciousness we experience fear.

One with a perfect service attitude is not fearful of death.

By chanting the holy name and doing whatever service we are given, we gradually make progress.

Q (by Gopala Campa Prabhu): How to realize the reality of the deity?
A: In addition to preaching, cultivate internal realization. When we realize how far we are from our goal, we become humble.

If we are so attached to a service that we will not give it up when an authority asks us to, that is also an impediment.

Caitanya Carana Prabhu:

From “Q&A” in Back to Godhead, Vol. 58, No. 1 (Jan/Feb 2024):

The founders of the great religions have sometimes said that what they are teaching is the only way. But if we study their teachings carefully, we find that they have also said that those following other paths should be allowed to peacefully pursue their paths. How are we to reconcile these apparently contradictory statements? The “this is the only way” statements are meant to create a focus, a one-pointedness that can lead to wholehearted application and practical transformation. But if such statements are seen as absolute, universal truths that apply at all times and all places, then they contradict the other words of those very seers – and also defeat their ultimate purpose.

Here’s an example to understand how they defeat the purpose. When competent doctors treat patients, they request, even insist, that their patients follow their prescribed treatment exclusively, without taking treatments from other doctors. But if the patients take such statements of the doctors to imply that all other doctors are quacks, then they miss the essential point of the doctor: to focus on their own doctor’s treatment.”

From “The Dynamic Relation Between Knowledge and Devotion” in Back to Godhead, Vol. 58, No. 1 (Jan/Feb 2024):

When the son faces challenges he can’t meet on his own, his father will go out of his way to help his son return to him. Similarly, when we face perplexities that we can’t deal with on our own, indwelling Krishna personally lights the torch of knowledge within us. Thus, knowledge can initiate and stimulate our devotional journey toward Krishna, but if lack of knowledge impedes our journey, Krishna reciprocates with our devotion to provide the necessary knowledge.”

Gauranga Darsana Prabhu:

Glorification of Krishna need not and should not be restricted to formal gatherings in temples and auditoriums, to Rathayatras and other public programs, or to online conferences – in other words, to events with microphones, a large audience, and so on. Yes, such public gatherings are wonderful forums for holding spiritual discourses. Yet we have to be eager to discuss the Lord’s qualities and pastimes even in our private conversations with like-minded devotee friends.”

The Pandavas set a great example of unity. Although each of the five Pandava brothers had his own nature and preferences, they were bound by love. Yudhisṭhira Maharaja, the eldest, was a great dharmic leader. Bhima possessed immense physical strength, while Arjuna was a skillful bowman. Nakula and Sahadeva had their own special skills. Although all of them had different natures and unique skills, and although at times they had differences of opinion, they were always united by having Krishna in the center. The commonality they shared was their appreciation and love for Him. Although only Arjuna got the privilege of having Krishna as his chariot driver, none of the other Pandavas complained or envied Arjuna. And although Bhima and Arjuna were the prominent warriors during the Kurukshetra War and defeated many valorous combatants, they never thought of occupying the throne. They lovingly served their elder brother Yudhisṭhira, the emperor.

By keeping Krishna in the center, we can have our own unique personality while respecting others for who they are. Relationships based on this principle exist in Vrindavan, Lord Krishna’s eternal land, where all the residents are Krishna-centered.”

Radhika Raman Prabhu:

From “Does Shabda Make Pratyaksha Invalid? (Part 1),” a discussion between Dr. Ravi Gupta, Utah State University (Radhika Raman) and Chaitanya Charan of The Monk’s Podcast held on July 2, 2023 (youtube.com/watch?v=fFERLZnpPUs):

Jiva Gosvami says, ‘This one means of knowledge (namely sabda), consists of statements that are free from the four defects.’ This is one reason he says sabda is superior. It's free from the four defects. Other reasons for the superiority of sabda are that it does not depend on any of the others, pratyaksa or anumana. And although the others may assist sabda as far as they are able, this one independent means of knowing, sabda, in performance of its function, is seen to even overrule the others. So the others can assist it, but it has the ability to overrule pratyaksa and anumana. And also, he says that the fact established by sabda is irreversible by the others. And finally, sabda is most effective in proving facts that the powers of the others – pratyaksa and anumana – cannot even touch. Therefore, he says the two other principal means of knowing – pratyaksa and anumana – are reduced to shadow-like subordinates of sabda.

Sabda's supremacy is real. It’s not that the three are in dialogue, therefore they are equals. Sabda retains the senior position even as the three rely upon each other. “

Hari Bhakta Dasa:

From “Living a Life of Prayer” in Back to Godhead, Vol. 58, No. 1 (Jan/Feb 2024):

Our praying to get Krishna’s eternal association makes Krishna eager to respond. In fact, if we do our part, He takes us to His abode even without our asking, because He is more eager for us to enter Goloka Vrindavan than we are.”

Srila Prabhupada’s disciple Isana Dasa recalls receiving the following instruction from his guru. ‘Just try to understand our Krishna conscious philosophy: you should decide what you want to do for Krishna.’”

Nonfulfillment of our desire for a specific service should not become an obstacle in rendering other, designated services. Nor should it lead to an unhealthy attitude of wanting to render a particular service by hook or crook and thus becoming insensitive to people and situations.”

Another prayer conducive to bhakti is to ask the Lord to protect us from committing offenses on the devotional path.”

Prayers for empowerment signify our dependence on the Lord.”

A devotee who lives a life of prayer feels extremely content and spreads Krishna’s grace everywhere. Srila Prabhupada was such a devotee whose life exemplified prayerful living. By his prayers and life, he transformed the lives of millions of people all over the world.”

Our philosophy is ‘Be satisfied with whatever God has given you.’”

Brajanatha Prabhu:

From “The Need for Spiritually Informed Assumptions” in Back to Godhead, Vol. 58, No. 1 (Jan/Feb 2024):

As the head of a worldwide institution, Srila Prabhupada had access to more wealth than most people. But he lived very simply and frugally and saw everything as Krishna’s property, to be used only in Krishna’s service. He exemplified the principle of isavasya [the understanding that everything belongs to God].

Without loving God we may know of Him but we won’t really know Him.”

While enabling each jiva’s desire to exist independently of Him, Krishna tirelessly maintains them in all aspects of their conditional existence and provides countless opportunities for their spiritual upliftment. When they finally do begin to turn to Him, Krishna gives His full support, no matter how many mistakes the jiva has made or continues to make: ‘Even if one commits the most abominable action, if he is engaged in devotional service, he is to be considered saintly because he is properly situated in his determination. He quickly becomes righteous and attains lasting peace. O son of Kunti, declare it boldly that My devotee never perishes’ (Gita 9.30–31).’”

Natabara Gauranga Prabhu:

By associating with devotees we gradually acquire their qualities and attain their destination.

We do not want kaivalya. We want kaivalva-bhakti.

Material happiness is often simply the temporary absence of material miseries, however, spiritual happiness is a positive experience that is far greater.

Some people criticize Srila Prabhupada’s purports for stressing bhakti so much. Sivarama Swami has written an excellent book called The Bhaktivedanta Purports: Perfect Explanation of the Bhagavad-gita As It Is, showing from every angle the validity of Srila Prabhupada’s translation of Bhagavad-gita.

-----

After sharing his favorite pastimes and verses from Sri Caitanya-caritamrita and thus causing me to experience waves of transcendental sweetness, my guru, Satsvarupa Dasa Goswami quoted this verse in his Cc. Asraya;

sruyatam sruyatam nityam

giyatam giyatam muda
cintyatam cintyatam bhaktas
caitanya-caritamritam

O devotees, may the transcendental life and characteristics of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu be always heard, chanted and meditated upon with great happiness.” (Sri Caitanya-caritamrita, Antya 12.1)

As I was feeling great happiness by hearing my guru recall favorite sections of Sri Caitanya-caritamrita, that verse seemed very appropriate, and I share with you as a reminder to regularly contact the pastimes of Lord Caitanya if you want to experience the ultimate happiness.