Tuesday, August 07, 2018

Travel Journal#14.14.: England, Germany, and Paris

Diary of a Traveling Sadhaka, Vol. 14, No. 14 
By Krishna-kripa das 
(July 2018, part two) 
London, Northampton, Sheffield, Leeds, Birmingham, Nuremberg, Paris, Berlin 
(Sent from Dublin Airport on August 7, 2018)

Where I Went and What I Did

I took a bus from Paris to London on July 18 to attend several events in England. Back in May I heard from Parasurama Prabhu that London devotees do six hours of harinama on Thursdays, and I wanted to experience that. Sacinananda Karuna Prabhu, who I knew from doing Weekend Warriors in London, invited me to speak at his program in Northampton on Fridays. Sheffield devotees told me of a very successful harinama they did last year at an event called Tramlines, and I developed the desire to go there this year, and I did so on Saturday. Leeds devotees were excited to tell me they introduced harinamas on occasional Saturday nights to reach out to those trying to enjoy themselves in the downtown, so I encouraged them to plan one for that Saturday as I was nearby. Almost every Sunday there is a Ratha-yatra in the UK, and that week it was in Birmingham. I had originally planned to fly to Lithuania to see Niranjana Swami at the Baltic Summer Festival, but on Saturday I learned that Niranjana Swami decided not to come this year. Since my planned route to Lithuania included an overnight stop in Nuremberg on Monday, I decided to take a bus back to Paris from Nuremberg to serve Janananda Goswami by doing six more days of harinama there. While in Nuremberg I had a surprisingly successful harinama there by myself for two and a half hours. After the Paris harinamas, I took a bus to Berlin to attend the Polish Woodstock festival for the eighteenth time. In Berlin I did harinama and had pizza with Gadadhara Priya Prabhu and Sara before traveling to Poland. The Polish Woodstock for the Hare Krishnas actually started on July 31, but I will describe the entire event in the next issue of this journal.

I share quotes from a conversation and a book by Srila Prabhupada. I include a great verse spoken by Krishna in the “Uddhava Gita.” I share a quote from Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura. I share notes on Janananda Goswami speaking in Paris, Adikarta Prabhu speaking in London, and Dayananda Swami speaking in Birmingham. I share quotes from Back to Godhead articles by Nagaraja, Satyaraja, Visakha, Caitanya Carana, and Gauranga Darshana Prabhus. I share notes on lectures by Gaura Nitai, Gauranga Prema and Acarya Prabhus, all speaking in Paris. I interviewed Janananda Goswami about his realizations about harinama sankirtana, and a link to that video also appears under “Insights” below.

Thanks to Janananda Goswami and the Paris devotees for funding my six-day visit to Paris. Thanks to Sacinandana Karuna Prabhu for his kind donation in Northampton. Thanks to the residents of Nuremburg for donating more than enough on harinama to cover my weekly metro pass in Paris. Thanks to Madhavi Dasi for the amazing pasta with olives, accommodation, and cost of my bus to Sheffield, and thanks to Kanwar for getting me at Meadowhall. Thanks to Namamrita and Jahnavi Prabhu of Nuremberg for their prasadam and help visiting their city. Thanks to Narada Prabhu for the lift up the M1 to Sheffield, and Janardana and Priya Sundari Prabhus for their accommodation, prasadam, and driving in Leeds. Thanks to Jaya Krishna Prabhu for dropping me at Meadowhall. Thanks to Sara for the awesome pizza, salad, and ice cream in Berlin. Thanks to Dayananda Swami for bringing to me in Birmingham my sweater, which a new devotee borrowed from me in Sheffield but neglected to return. Thanks to Narada Prabhu and the Hare Krishna Festivals team for photos of the Sheffield harinama. Thanks to Sara for her photo of me and her pizza and salad. Writing this long list of appreciations, I am reminded of the Beatles lyric, “I get by with a little help from my friends.”

Itinerary

August 7–12: Vaishnava Sanga Festival in Canada
August 13: Dublin
August 14: York Ratha-yatra
August 15–16: Newcastle
August 17–18: Liverpool harinama and Ratha-yatra
August 19: Newcastle retreat
August 20: Newcastle
August 21–22: Edinburgh harinamas and programs
August 23: Newcastle
August 24: Leeds program
August 25: ?
August 26: Leeds program?
August 27: Manchester
August 28: Sheffield program?
August 29: Manchester
August 30: Accrington program
August 31: Liverpool program
September 1: York
September 2: Newcastle
September 3–28: Mayapur
September 29: Newcastle
September 30: Dublin
October 1–January 5, 2019: New York City Yuga Dharma Harinama Party

Chanting Hare Krishna in the Thursday Nine-Hour Harinama in London

For several months a team of devotees led by Govinda, Kulasekhara, and Vasudeva Prabhus has been doing nine hours of harinama every Thursday in Central London.

Devotees chant on Oxford Street from 10:30 to noon, and return to the temple, where they chant ten minutes in front of the entrance, and then they go out to the streets again, stopping by the two colleges (SOAS and LSE) where Parasurama Prabhu’s Food for All distributes Krishna prasadam lunch. They return to the temple at 3:00 p.m., when they take a break for lunch. Then at 3:30 p.m. they go out down Oxford Street, through Carnaby Street, past Piccadilly Circus, through Leicester Square, and back to the temple, returning at 5:30 p.m. Then they take another half hour break and chant from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. or even 9:00 p.m., or sometimes 10:00 p.m. Every other week in the evening they go down Oxford Street to Marble Arch and then on Edgware Road, which is a largely Muslim section. The week I was there they did that, and many Muslims smiled and took videos, and one Muslim guy donated a bottle of water to everyone in our party.

Here Jahnavi, one of two Israeli devotee sisters visiting ISKCON London from Bhaktivedanta Manor, chants Hare Krishna in front of the Hare Krishna temple in Central London (https://youtu.be/2iTeUuxNAlc):


Govinda Prabhu chants Hare Krishna in London during the nine-hour harinama on Thursdays (https://youtu.be/0XWhAhsi1oU)


Bhaktin Abi, a young devotee lady from Bhaktivedanta Manor, also chanted nicely.

Kulasekhara Prabhu chants Hare Krishna on the Thursday nine-hour harinama in London at SOAS university, where Parasurama Prabhu’s Food for All distributes lunch prasadam, through Russell Square, where Srila Prabhupada would walk, and at LSE university, the other school where prasadam lunch is served (https://youtu.be/nagzRFC252E):


After our lunch break Dayal Mora Prabhu chanted Hare Krishna in London, and passersby danced (https://youtu.be/wSsEUbqkGs4)


One young lady from Greece who was visiting London for a few days appeared just as we were beginning our final harinama of the day at 6:00 p.m. She knew of the devotees and liked chanting Hare Krishna, but she had never been on harinama before. I was surprised that she stayed for the entire harinama lasting two and half hours, participating nicely the whole time!

In this evening harinama, Tripada Prabhu, a friendly soul who is often seen at the reception desk at ISKCON London, chanted Hare Krishna in a London shop (https://youtu.be/t3L2jgoHWUA):


While Tripada Prabhu was chanting Hare Krishna along Oxford Street, visiting students danced (https://youtu.be/Pu57JeuJv8M):


We were short of book distributors on some of the harinamas, and so I helped out with that and distributed 8 books, collecting £16.40, which was good for me.

I was so happy I went that next year I will plan my transits of London on Thursdays to join the enthusiastic devotees and their nine-hour harinama.

Chanting Hare Krishna in Northampton

I had a very positive experience chanting Hare Krishna for three hours in Northampton on Friday, a city I had only once visited when we had a Ratha-yatra cart in their local parade. Sacinandana Karuna Prabhu, who organizes regular Hare Krishna meetings there, joined me for half the time, bringing a drum. Several groups of kids enjoyed interacting with our party, especially by dancing, and two girls played karatalas and another tried the drum. One of the girls played karatalas on two different occasions, and her friend tried chanting the mantra. People donated £16.35 and took several books.

As with many Hare Krishna meetings in cities where we have no temple, the venue was the local Quaker Meeting House.

Quaker worship involves sitting in silence, thinking of God and waiting for inspiration from within. Krishna glorifies silence in Bhagavad-gita, “Of secret things I am silence.” (Bhagavad-gita 10.38). Commenting on this, Srila Prabhupada writes, “Among the confidential activities of hearing, thinking and meditating, silence is most important because by silence one can make progress very quickly.”

Chanting Hare Krishna at Tramlines (Sheffield’s Biggest Ever Party)

I really never recall seeing so many people on the streets of Sheffield as at the Tramlines event where a team of around twelve devotees chanted on Saturday. From time to time people would dance with our party, some quite a bit intoxicated, as you can see in these videos:

Here Bhakta Ian Nene chants Hare Krishna at Tramlines, Sheffield’s biggest ever party, and passersby dance and take photos and videos (https://youtu.be/FHKZ5iahg20):


I danced and distributed invitations most of the time as usual.

Dayananda Swami chanted with great enthusiasm, and at one point a group of female partiers danced. After the harinama, Dayananda Swami recalled the words spoken by Srila Prabhupada while leaving the historic Mantra Rock Dance in San Francisco in 1967, “This is no place for a brahmacari” (https://youtu.be/GG3vB2UVa08):


A couple more ladies danced with our party as we reached the end of the town (https://youtu.be/eHlWdS_5Qbc):


As some devotees went back through the town to find two devotees who got lost, Narada Prabhu chanted Hare Krishna kirtan and passersby danced (https://youtu.be/-ecFdI2qfVc):


Many invitations to the Sheffield Wednesday night kirtan program were distributed along with lots of packages of prasadam.

During our harinama we saw a man with a piano on wheels and a lady with a cello on wheels. It reminded me of Parasurama Prabhu, who has an entire drum set on wheels, and perhaps we could bring that in future years. It would fit right in.

Chanting Hare Krishna on Saturday Night in Leeds

As soon as our Sheffield harinama ended, I took a train to Leeds to chant another hour and a half with seven devotees there.

I chanted Hare Krishna at the beginning of our harinama in Leeds, and a bride and her friends, out partying before her marriage, chanted, danced, and played the drum (https://youtu.be/nsaR8gqCFhw):


Later we went down a street called Greek Street with several restaurants with outdoor seating on both sides. Many people interacted with us by dancing, clapping, smiling, or taking photos, but because I was singing, I could not make a video of it.

Here Acyut Prabhu chants Hare Krishna on Saturday night in Leeds beginning on Greek Street, where one drunk person joined us for several minutes, and passersby dance (https://youtu.be/OXUGrIPD6e4):


Later Priya Sundari Devi Dasi chanted Hare Krishna and passersby danced (https://youtu.be/2PAwCe6J1kY):


Birmingham Ratha-yatra

Dayananda Swami chanted Hare Krishna at the beginning of the Birmingham Ratha-yatra (https://youtu.be/sIu9nW2yYj8):


Agnideva Prabhu, celebrated Srila Prabhupada disciple and kirtan leader, chanted Hare Krishna at Birmingham Ratha-yatra and devotees danced with joy (https://youtu.be/DjJ2E1S6cIE):


Birmingham youth of various races, religions, and genders enjoyed dancing with devotees as Agnideva Prabhu chanted Hare Krishna at Ratha-yatra. The guys danced in circles with Sutapa Prabhu and other male devotees as the girls watched, smiled, clapped, took photos, and danced on the side or occasionally danced with the devotee ladies (https://youtu.be/g8Ygmx7BzJ4):


I had attended Ratha-yatras in London, Paris, and Antwerp in the previous month, but I did not see such nice partcipation by the youth of the city as there in Birmingham.

Unexpectedly Wonderful Experiences Chanting Hare Krishna in Nuremberg

I like to do three hours of chanting Hare Krishna in public every day, and since I chanted half an hour near the Sheffield train station in the morning before traveling to the airport, I decided to chant in Nuremberg, a city I had never chanted in, for two and a half hours, between my afternoon flight from Manchester and my overnight bus to Paris.

A very kind and friendly Russian-speaking devotee named Namamrita Prabhu met me at the airport, and he showed me the bus station and their usual harinama spot before returning home for a Skype session with his guru, Bhakti Vijnana Swami. He also brought me some wonderful Ekadasi prasadam, salad and potatos with cheese, made by his wife, Jahnavi Devi Dasi, disciple of Janananda Goswami, and some fruit as well.

On the side of the pathway from the main train station toward the city I sat down with a pair of karatalas, as I left my harmonium in Leeds, not wanting to drag it to Paris, Poland, and Canada or pay the baggage charges to do so. My amplifier was dying and did not work very well. Considering my external situation, I was amazed by the reception, both in terms of meeting interesting people and in getting donations and distributing literature.

One boy took a photo of me, and I asked him to send it to me. Usually people who promise to do this fail 80% of the time, but he actually sent it. I asked him about himself, and he replied, “My name is Isaiah, I am 18 years old and a student. I am working on my career as a professional photographer day and night. I Love taking portraits of magnificent people on the streets and my goal in Life is Helping people to feel better and balanced by working on my emotional intelligence and spreading positive energy.” Such noble ambitions for a youth of today!

Besides Isaiah, I met a man who likes George Harrison so much he goes to Liverpool for Beatlesweek every year. I invited him to the Liverpool Ratha-yatra, but unfortunately it does not fall on Beatlesweek this year so he could not come. I offered him Chant and Be Happy which tells of George Harrison and his meeting with Srila Prabhupada, but he already had it. Still he happily donated five euros toward my trip to Paris.

An American man who knows about Hare Krishna through the hardcore band Shelter stopped by. He knew Shelter has five shows in Germany this summer, and he was very excited about it, once having seen them play in Philadelphia.

A youthful Buddhist lady from Thailand gave two euros and took a book, and a friendly lady from L.A., who I told about our temple and restaurant there, got a book, giving two dollars.

In the two and a half hours I chanted there, people donated €24.10 and $3.10, taking three books, and they would have taken many more if I had some in the German language. The reception was especially striking as the previous week in Paris Tulasi Prabhu and I sang two and a quarter hours, and people donated €0.10!

Back Chanting Hare Krishna in Paris for Six More Days

In Paris I like to chant by the Indian shops at least once a week, as the people are so favorable. There on Wednesday Olivier, who is a guitar player, led the chanting (https://www.youtu.be/FeKwYDns3-8):


When chanting by the Indian shops, we displayed Bhagavad-gitas in seven languages: French, England, and five languages from India. As it turned out, only one person asks for a Gita, a Bengali one, and that was one language we did not have! Fortunately he took the English one.

We had a few other books as well.

Thursday Rohininandana Prabhu chanted Hare Krishna at Les Halles (https://youtu.be/vAcOQwX6yCc):


Saturday Rohininandana Prabhu chanted Hare Krishna at Saint-Michel and passersby danced, and one couple even chanted (https://youtu.be/mVMFGe5JXDk):


Janananda Goswami chants Hare Krishna on Paris metro line 4 after the Saint-Michel harinama. Rohininandana Prabhu plays drum, and Sofia distributes literature and collects donations. Vidura Prabhu plays karatalas (https://youtu.be/-TX1IVFt5WQ):


Chanting Hare Krishna in Berlin

I spent the day after my overnight bus ride from Paris to Berlin recovering from my journey, eating homemade pizza, salad, and ice cream, and going on harinama with Gadadhara Priya Prabhu and Sara, who I did Metroyoga with in Paris years ago. 

Sara is from Italy and likes to cook for guests and make prasadam for distribution on harinama. Gadadhara Priya Prabhu chants nicely and plays the harmonium. Anyone who smiles he asked to say, “Hare Krishna.” If they are willing to do that, he praises them saying, “You must be a yogi!” Then he gives them a mantra card for the Berlin temple and encourages them to chant one entire mantra along with us. Then he introduces the books and the prasadam.

In just the area around where Gadadhara Priya and Sara lived we encountered so many people willing to chant the Hare Krishna at least once with us, who had previous positive experiences of Krishna consciousness, or who were willing accept books or prasadam and give a donation. It was truly inspiring. One couple was a very open and friendly guy from Kenya and a girl from Geneva, who each took a book, accepted prasadam, and gave a donation.

More Photos of Radha-Parisisvara

Some photos for me remember the beauty of the Paris deities till next year.


Curious Photos

I encountered some curious sights to photograph during the London harinama.

A couple near the universities were reminders of the unpopularity of U.S. President Trump. I know from living in America, lots of U.S. citizens voice dissatisfaction with him, and I learned in London people also have issues with his policies.

Finding a mate is done different ways in different cultures. Of course, traditionally in Vedic culture it was done by the parents, who presumably were more experienced and sagacious. Now people seek their own mates in different places.

This is a humorous sign with some advice I also saw while chanting in London. Does that constitute British humor?

Actually if you want to find an ideal husband who will help you attain spiritual perfection, no pub is an ideal place to look!

The wisest realize that there is one ideal husband, and that is the Supreme Lord.

Srila Prabhupada writes, “The ultimate result of devotional service is to develop genuine love for the Supreme Personality. Love is a word which is often used in relation with man and woman. And love is the only word that can be properly used to indicate the relation between Lord Krishna and the living entities. The living entities are mentioned as prakriti in the Bhagavad-gita, and in Sanskrit prakriti is a feminine object. The Lord is always described as the parama-purusa, or the supreme male personality. Thus the affection between the Lord and the living entities is something like that between the male and the female. Therefore the term love of Godhead is quite appropriate.” (Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.7.7, purport)

Insights

Srila Prabhupada:

From a conversation with biochemist Thoudam Singh, PhD, in Bhubaneswar, India, on February 3, 1977, printed in Back to Godhead, Vol. 52, No. 6 (November/December 2018):

“Here is the supreme science: to realize, ‘Yes, all around me I see so many natural laws that no one can change. Certainly I cannot change them. I am under the laws of nature. Therefore, let me search out that one person who is above the laws of nature – that one person who made the laws and can even change them. I must make Him the goal of my life.’”

From Sri Caitanya-caritamrita, Adi-lila 1.55, purport:

“The Personality of Godhead in His all-pervading feature of Paramatma enters every entity, from the biggest to the most minute. His existence can be realized by one who has the single qualification of submissiveness and who thereby becomes a surrendered soul. The development of submissiveness is the cause of proportionate spiritual realization, by which one can ultimately meet the Supreme Lord in person, as a man meets another man face to face.”

Lord Krishna:

From Srimad-Bhagavatam 11.14.26:

“When a diseased eye is treated with medicinal ointment it gradually recovers its power to see. Similarly, as a conscious living entity cleanses himself of material contamination by hearing and chanting the pious narrations of My glories, he regains his ability to see Me, the Absolute Truth, in My subtle spiritual form.”

Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura:

From his “64 Principles for Community,” Principle 21:

“The only duty of the most merciful persons is to transform the degraded taste of people. If you can save even one person from the great force of mahā-māyā [the illusory energy of Supreme Lord that distracts us from making spiritual progress] then that will be a greater act of philanthropy than opening millions of hospitals.”

Janananda Goswami:

In this interview, Janananda Goswami shares realizations about harinama sankirtana [the congregational chanting of the holy names of the Supreme Lord], described in the Vedic literature as the yuga dharma, the religion of this age (https://www.youtu.be/6lnPN05Gzpk)


From classes in Paris:

I met a tramp in London in 1973 who was formerly a nuclear physicist and became disgusted by it. He was a student of Oppenhiemer and knew of Bhagavad-gita, saying Oppenhiemer knew Sanskrit and studied the Vedic literature in the process of making the atomic bomb.

When I was in India when people learned I was from England, our conversation always ended with them asking me to help them get a visa to England. After a while, I would tell people that I was from Malaysia, as I spent a lot of time preaching there.

When Srila Prabhupada had not been in the USA for more than twelve hours, he prayed to Krishna, “Why have you brought me to this terrible place?”

Srila Prabhupada once said, “Even if all of you leave and all the temples close, this movement will go on because these books are there.”

What Srila Prabhupada is teaching here, is that we have to be dependent on Krishna in every circumstance.

Lord Caitanya was saying he did not want money or any followers. Sometimes we find ourselves wanting these things and being disturbed when they are not present or when they are lost.

Fallible literally means able to fall. Srila Prabhupada is teaching us to depend on Krishna, who is infallible.

Comment by Gaura Bhakta Prabhu: In Saint-Michel one man who looked like a bum put a five euro note in our bowl. Although he had so little, he felt what we were giving had some value.

Adikarta Prabhu:

The Battle of Kuruksetra was the biggest battle in the history of the world.

It is said the Balaji temple has been there thousands, if not millions of years.

In India people have been going to temples for thousands of years. In the West the churches have been around only for hundreds of years, but people have largely stopped going to them.

You are intrinsically happy by loving God. You are designed that way.

We are so much controlled by our karma. How we look and how intelligent we are, we cannot do anything about.

They have £100,000 watches at Selfridges on Oxford Street.

Comment by Nrsimha Kavaca Prabhu: I have heard some places they have $1,000,000 and $2,000,000 watches.

Krishna wanted everyone ruled by a righteous king because a righteous king will keep people from accruing bad karma. Krishna wanted Arjuna to fight because if he did not then the world would be degraded. Unrighteous kings can cause everyone to suffer, but a righteous king could elevate everyone.

The Bible is 33,000 verses, the Mahabharata is 110,000 verses, and Jiva Goswami wrote 400,000 verses.

If you are not preaching or making a lot of money, it is better to live in a simple place where there is not so much maya [distraction from our spiritual life].

I was an ordinary, materialistic person, a fashion photographer, and I joined the temple, and after a couple of weeks, I went out on book distribution and I liked it and have done it ever since.

Nagaraja Prabhu:

From “Back Home, Back to Godhead” in Back to Godhead, Vol. 52, No. 6 (November/December 2018):

“The spiritual practices of the Hare Krishna movement, prescribed by Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and the spiritual authorities in His line, are meant to nurture within us the pure desire for intimate service to Krishna in Goloka. When the Lord and His pure devotees recognize our spiritual longing, we’ll gain entrance to the kingdom where God reigns as an irresistible cowherd boy.”

Satyaraja Prabhu:

From “The Science of Love” in Back to Godhead, Vol. 52, No. 6 (November/December 2018):

“A friend from the Christian tradition once pointed out to me that for Christians love of God is intimately connected to love of man. That’s how they express their love of God – through loving their brothers and sisters under God’s fatherhood. He wanted to know how the Vaishnava conception of love ties in with love for humankind.

“This is an urgent question and needs to be addressed. But we shouldn’t begin with the misconception that Christianity conflates love of God and love of man. While both types of love are important, Christians, like Vaishnavas, know a clear distinction between the two. If we study closely, we will find that the Christian tradition makes clear that love of God and love of man are two different things. When Jesus was asked which commandment is the greatest, he said, ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ And then he augmented it: ‘This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: you shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets.’ (Matthew 22:36) So they are actually two different things. The second commandment is like the first one, but it is not the same as the first one. The difference is implicit: Love of man and love of God are distinct.”

Dayananda Swami:

From a talk at the Birmingham Ratha-yatra:

Who is attracted by renunciation? Who is not attracted by renunciation? Wouldn’t everyone like to say, “I am so satisfied, I do not need anything else”?

Gaura Nitai Prabhu:

When we are brought up, our parents do everything to make us happy, and we learn that our happiness is the goal of life.

I too thought life was for my enjoyment. I made a list of enjoyable things and then pursued them one after another. But I found that after some time those enjoyable things were not so enjoyable as before, so I had to find new things. Sometimes my best friends would become enemies or at least neutral.

Then I met the devotees. They said their chant would help me, but I could not understand how. However, I liked the food. The devotees would tell stories, and I used to like the stories in the movies, so that was something nice I could relate to. I heard the Bhagavad-gita, but it seemed it could all be theoretical. However, when I read the Bhagavatam I came to accept it as true.

Lord Caitanya had a special mission – to inform everyone in the world how they could become free from material miseries. His program was all positive. By chanting one can experience spiritual happiness. There is no emphasis on the suffering that results if you do not act properly as in some traditions.

If we are protected by the word Narayana, Krishna, or Gauranga, we should share it with others.

If we have a very deep faith in the holy name, we can create faith in others.

“Na te vidhuh svartha gatim hi vishnum.” Almost everyone knows Vishnu as some Hindu god but not as the goal of life so we have a lot of work to do.

If we are not successful preachers, we have to look within our life and see what we can improve.

The best devotees are always thinking how to improve their service, their sadhana [spiritual practice], and their preaching, with the aim of changing peoples’ lives.

Comment by Rajadharma Prabhu: Bhakti Charu Swami says sometimes our service is not so pleasurable, but the reciprocation with Krishna is pleasurable.

Sense gratification which is allowed in Krishna consciousness is not bad, but attachment to such pleasure is bad.

Comment by Gauranga Prema Prabhu: In the story of the cloth merchant who refused to give any cloth to Krishna, the cloth merchant had a desire to see God in his previous life. When he got to see Krishna, Krishna gave him the chance to serve Him, but unfortunately he had no interest in that.

Caitanya Carana Prabhu:

From “Sugriva-Laksman: Comfort – Material and Spiritual” in Back to Godhead, Vol. 52, No. 6 (November/December 2018):

“The bhakti tradition doesn’t romanticize adversity or demonize prosperity – it urges us to utilize whatever circumstance we find ourselves in. Adversity in and of itself is not spiritually beneficial; extreme adversity can make both basic material subsistence and basic spiritual practice difficult. And prosperity in and of itself is not spiritually harmful; a reliable and comfortable provision of material needs can free the mind from survival anxiety to ponder higher spiritual truths and ultimately the highest spiritual truth, God.”

“Tara, Hanuman and Lakshmana all reminded Sugriva of his obligation and helped him correct his deviation [from Lord Rama’s service]. Similarly, we too need friends and guides who can remind us of our obligation to the Lord, especially when we start deviating from it.”

Visakha Dasi:

From “The Modern World’s Pervasive Bane: Boredom” in Back to Godhead, Vol. 52, No. 6 (November/December 2018):

“Danish philosopher Søren Kierkegaard wrote over 170 years ago: ‘Boredom is the root of all evil.’”

“To Kierkegaard, boredom is not just feeling weary because one is unoccupied or lacks interest in one’s current activity; boredom is not just a sense of emptiness due to an absence of stimulation. Boredom, he wrote, is the result of an absence of meaning in one’s life. This understanding explains why people today are overstimulated but existentially bored. In 2017, global spending for entertainment reached $2.2 trillion, yet there was also an increase in boredom and unhappiness.”

“Kierkegaard was clear about what would end his boredom: ‘What could divert me? Well, if I managed to see a faithfulness that withstood every ordeal, an enthusiasm that endured everything, a faith that moved mountains; if I were to become aware of an idea that joined the finite and the infinite.’”

“Interestingly, Kierkegaard had seen boredom as ‘the despairing refusal to be oneself.’ And what Prabhupada stressed – practically demanded – was for us to be ourselves, that is, to act as spiritual souls, tiny parts of God replete with God’s qualities of eternality, joyfulness, and cognition. Constitutionally the soul is meant to give pleasure to God and His devotees, and such pleasure-giving service is fresh because Krishna is nava-yauvana, ever fresh. Giving this sort of pleasure gives us the greatest pleasure. And this attitude is stimulated by spiritual love, love that is not motivated by personal gain. Surely it is due to our lack of realization of our spiritual identity and spiritual activity that boredom exists at all in this world.”

Gauranga Prema Prabhu:

Devamrita Maharaja tells the married devotees they may end up with a child like Prahlad [the perfect saint] or a child like Vena [a complete rascal].

If even Brahma and Indra occasionally get into trouble because of attachment to the opposite sex it is no wonder that an aspiring devotee contending with the temptations of Kali-yuga might have difficulty.

In Brhad-Bhagavatamritam, Krishna told Gopa Kumara after he finally returned to the spiritual world, “I have been looking down the road, waiting for your return.”

In Sanatana Goswami’s Lila-stava, it said that Krishna is always endeavoring to make Himself more attractive to the conditioned souls.

If you just stay alive in Krishna consciousness, ultimately you will attain Krishna-prema.

It is said that he who is loved by God is loved by everyone.

Comment by Rajadharma Prabhu: Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura says that one who commits sinful activities out of weakness will ultimately attain success but one who hides his sinful acts to maintain respectability will go to the darkest region.

Gauranga Darshana Prabhu:

From “The Art of Living and Leaving” in Back to Godhead, Vol. 52, No. 6 (November/December 2018):

“A fact of life is that everyone who has entered a body has to leave it one day. The time between birth and death is what we call life. Lord Krishna says that the consciousness with which one leaves the body decides his or her next destination.”

“Responsibility shouldn’t lead to undue attachment, and detachment doesn’t mean irresponsibility. The Bhagavatam narrates stories of saintly kings known as rajarsis who ruled the earth religiously, taking care of the citizens’ physical and spiritual needs. And when an able successor was ready to take charge of the political responsibilities, these kings, despite their great influence, followers, accomplishments, and unexcelled facilities, were detached and mature enough to leave behind everything for a higher purpose. Thus they promptly retired at the right time to dedicate the rest of their lives in devotional service unto the Supreme Lord Krishna.”

Acarya Prabhu:

In the class which inspired me to shelter of him, Bhakti Vikasa Swami asked those in the audience when they became devotees. After they had all answered, he praised them for becoming devotees and said he hoped to become a devotee soon.

In explaining the Krishna book to people on the street, I was telling of the wonderful qualities of Krishna displayed in His pastimes. Krishna is not someone loudly telling people what to do, like Trump, but actually He is so humble that He washed the feet of the guests at the Rajasuya festival.

The glorification of mundane people becomes boring after a few seconds, but we never tire of hearing the glories of the Lord and the saints.

A devotee does not introduce concoctions in the movement.

The great devotees do not consider their own comforts or their own possessions.

Mahatma Prabhu told us that when he was a devotee for eight months they asked him to become the temple president because he had been there longer than anyone else. Thus he learned how to do that service and became qualified. Had he rejected the opportunity because it may have been too difficult, he would have lost that chance and been less useful to the Lord.

No “ism” in the material world can protect the living entity. Only Krishna can protect.

By criticizing pure devotees, you at once come under the control of the three modes of material nature.

Comment by me: Actually criticism is said in Bhagavad-gita to be in the mode of ignorance, the lowest of the modes of nature, what to speak of criticizing a pure devotee which must be in the lowest region of the mode of ignorance.

Bhaktivinoda Thakura explains you can criticize to warn devotees of nondevotional activities.

I overheard a devotee being criticized and when I realized it, I thought I should apologize to that devotee for hearing criticism of him. So I bowed down and apologized. The devotee was impressed with my apology and said that I did not have to, but I felt so blissful afterward I could see Paramatma [the Lord in the heart] was inspiring me in this way.

Devamrita Swami said that Ramesvara Prabhu came up to him on the street and offered obeisances to him and apologized to him for offending him years ago. Because of such offenses he had fallen away from his practice, and therefore, he compiled a list of all those he offended and was traveling all over systematically apologizing to each and every one of them. His only lamentation was that some of the people had passed away before he got the chance to apologize.

-----

This verse appears in connection with Lord Shiva saving the universe from deadly poison produced from churning the ocean, and many Bhagavatam speakers quote it to stress the importance of compassion in pleasing the Supreme Lord:

tapyante loka-tapena
sadhavah prayaso janah
paramaradhanam tad dhi
purushasyakhilatmanah

“It is said that great personalities almost always accept voluntary suffering because of the suffering of people in general. This is considered the highest method of worshiping the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who is present in everyone’s heart.”