Monday, February 05, 2018

Travel Journal#14.2: North and Central Florida

Diary of a Traveling Sadhaka, Vol. 14, No. 2 
By Krishna-kripa das 
(January 2018, part two) 
North and Central Florida 
(Sent from Tallahassee, Florida, on February 5, 2017)

Where I Went and What I Did

During the second half of January, I chanted Hare Krishna in Tallahassee for two weeks, at Florida State University during the weekdays and Lake Ella on the weekend. I attended a potluck at Garuda Prabhu’s place, half an hour east of Tallahassee, one Saturday and chanted an hour and a half with a couple of people there. At the end of the month I returned to the Gainesville area to attend the Tampa Gasparilla Parade of Pirates Ratha-yatra with devotees from Krishna House. Before chanting in the Ratha-yatra I chanted with Alachua and Tampa devotees to thousands of people gathering on Bayshore Boulevard to watch the Parade of Pirates. Then I went to the Alachua Sunday Feast on Lord Varaha’s Appearance Day. The next day I observed Lord Nityananda Prabhu’s Appearance Day both in Alachua, for the mangala and sandhya aratis and the evening feast, and in Gainesville, for the abhiseka of their Gaura-Nitai deities and for two harinamas, one at Krishna Lunch and the other at Tioga Tower Center. Then I chanted at Krishna Lunch for another day. I ended the month by going to the University of North Florida in Jacksonville with Adikarta Prabhu and chanting there while he distributed books, and then attending the weekly Krishna Club meeting with him.

I share notes on Srila Prabhupada’s books and lectures. I share a point made by Sacinandana Swami in a recorded class on Advaita Acarya. I share notes on classes by Srila Prabhupada disciples Adikarta Prabhu, Kalakantha Prabhu, and Tamohara Prabhu. I also share notes on classes by Madhava Prabhu, Brajananda Prabhu, Amrita Keli Devi Dasi, Abhimanyu Prabhu, and some Mormon missionaries at University of Florida. I also have notes from conversations with Bhismadeva Prabhu, Christina from Florida State University, and a Mormon missionary at Florida State University, as well as insights from Kira of University of North Florida Krishna Club.

Many, many thanks to Bhakta Chris and Jaya Govinda Prabhu for their very kind donations. Thanks to Nama Kirtan Prabhu for reimbursing my travel expenses to Tallahassee and for giving me the donations we received for books at FSU and Lake Ella. Thanks to the homeless lady at the Tallahassee Sunday feast for her very generous donation.

Thanks to Mary Curran (https://www.mcurranphotography.com/) for her photos of me at Lake Ella. Thanks to Saumya Radhika Dasi for her photo of us and Bhaktin Diana on the way to Gasparilla. Thanks to JR for his photo of devotees chanting at Krishna Lunch on Lord Nityananda Prabhu’s appearance day. Thanks to Amrita Keli Devi Dasi for her photos of Krishna Club at the University of North Florida.

Itinerary

February 4–16: Tallahassee (FSU on weekdays, Lake Ella on weekends)
February 17: Tampa, University of South Florida Campus Kirtan
February 18–20: Gainesville Krishna House
February 21: Jacksonville, University of North Florida Krishna Club
February 22–March 12: Tallahassee (FSU on weekdays, Lake Ella on weekends)
March 12–13: Gainesville Krishna House
March 14–15: Jacksonville (UNF)
March 16–18: Gainesville Krishna House / Alachua Sunday Feast
March 19–March 23: Tallahassee (FSU)
March 23: Gainesville Krishna House Friday Night – Talk on Ratha-yatra
March 24: St. Augustine Ratha-yatra
March 25: Gainesville Krishna House
March 26–April 5: Tallahassee (FSU on weekdays, Lake Ella on weekends)
April 6: Tallahassee First Friday
April 7: Tallahassee Ratha-yatra
April 8: Gainesville Krishna House / Alachua Sunday Feast
April 9: Albany
April 10: Philadelphia
April 11–13: Washington, D.C.
April 14: New York City
April 15–19: Dublin
April 19–25?: Newcastle
April 27: Amsterdam (King’s Day)
April 28–29: Radhadesh (Nrsimha Caturdasi and KKS Vyasa Puja)
May 1?–4: Newcastle
May 5–6: Birmingham 24-Hour Kirtan
May 7–14: Newcastle, Sheffield, and Leeds
May 15?–July 15: Paris
July 16–July 23: North UK
July 24–27: Vaishnava Summer Festival in Lithuania
July 28–30: Berlin Ratha-yatra and harinamas
July 31–August 4: Polish Woodstock
August 5: Berlin
August 6–September 2: North UK except for Vaishnava Sanga Festival in Canada
September 3–28: Mayapur
September 29: Newcastle
September 30: Dublin


October 1–January 5, 2019: New York City Yuga Dharma Harinama Party

Chanting Hare Krishna at Florida State University in Tallahassee


I had many experiences that encouraged me in my outreach at Florida State University in Tallahassee.

One day three people came by and told me they went to Krishna Lunch because I invited them. The next day while the devotees were setting up up for Krishna Lunch, I saw two of them had come again. Although Krishna Lunch has existed at FSU in Tallahassee for twenty years, I always meet people who never heard of it, who are happy to learn of it and who become regular attenders.

A girl named Tiffany, who had come to the temple before, came by my table on the campus, and I gave her an invitation for the Krishna Lunch, and she came to the lunch that very day for the first time.

One girl named Peyton came to the Tuesday Bhagavad-gita class because her roommate, Emily, had taken a photo of the invitations she received from me and sent them to her. A couple of days later a girl came by my table, saying her roommate had come to our program and liked it, and she was planning to come again on Sunday. I asked the girl if her name was Emily, and it was. I asked her if Peyton was her roommate, and she confirmed it. As it turned out, she did come to the temple on Sunday, when devotees celebrated Lord Nityananda’s Appearance Day.

One young lady with an interest in yoga took Science of Self-Realization, Coming Back, and Perfection of Yoga. Another two guys took Bhagavad-gitas, one staying he previously read it. Two people I encouraged to read the Bhagavad-gitas which they already had, one a literature major and the other a guy on a spiritual quest who had read other quasi-spiritual literature.

Garuda’s Home Program in Tallahassee

Garuda Prabhu of Tallahassee, also known as Soaring Turkey and Yogi G, by the Rainbow and yoga communities respectively, has been encouraging a variety of alternative people, yogis and seekers in their spiritual lives for decades, mostly in the local area and at Rainbow Gatherings. At least a couple of his followers became initiated Hare Krishna devotees, and that is just the ones I am aware of. He had a potluck dinner at his place, which I had never been to, half an hour to the east of Tallahassee. He and his friends were working on fixing the front porch and constructing a tepee when I arrived at least half an hour late. I talked to a few people, meeting Danny and Brooklyn, who remembered me from before. Since I am not so social I decided to chant Hare Krishna with my harmonium until the program really started happening. Danny, who has obtained good results from Christianity, Buddhist meditation, and chanting Hare Krishna, and who thus has faith in all three, was happy to sing the response as I led the chanting. A lady named Moka also chanted the response much of the time. I chanted twice, taking a brief break to check the progress on the tepee. I must have chanted an hour and a half altogether, and I was so grateful to Danny for singing the whole time. During the evening I met several more of Garuda’s friends. Garuda invited people to the Sunday feast at the Tallahassee temple, and I invited them to chant at Lake Ella with me Sunday afternoon. I was pleasantly surprised that one of them, Dar, who had also chanted Hare Krishna before, joined me and Melanie in chanting at Lake Ella for at least forty-five minutes or so. Thus I felt very victorious increasing the chanting of Hare Krishna at Garuda’s program and getting someone to chant with us at the lake the next day. It pays to go outside your comfort zone to interact with others because occasionally they will accept your spiritual gifts. I also brought to the potluck some extra spicy upma from FSU Krishna Lunch that most of us thought was too hot, but which Garuda’s people really loved, so that was another victory.

Chanting Hare Krishna at Lake Ella

On Saturday, I chanted Hare Krishna at Lake Ella alone for three hours, displaying books, temple invitations, and free vegan cookies.

Toward the end of my stay, one man pulled his car up right next to me. I offered him a cookie, but he said he just wanted to listen to the music. After I chanted for a while, he asked if we still have the chariot in the Springtime Tallahassee parade, which he had pleasant memories of. I said we do, and not only that, we will be having it in the Gasparilla Parade in Tampa next Saturday. He never had been to Gasparilla and was considering going.

On Sunday Melanie chanted with me most of the three hours and Dar, from Garuda Prabhu’s program, joined us for forty-five minutes. After both Melanie and I had sung, I asked Dar if he knew of any Hare Krishna tunes. He had chanted with devotees before and recalled one tune which he sang. Later after the others had left, Mary, who somehow had graduated from FSU without encountering Krishna Lunch, stopped by. She pointed to the Bhagavad-gita and Science of Self-Realization, saying she already had them, and she took a Perfection of Yoga. She was a photographer with a very professional looking business card.



She took photos of me, which I encouraged her to send me. She said she would stop by our temple programs sometime.

Sunday we also met a very friendly older couple with pleasant memories of the Higher Taste restaurant, formerly run by a South American devotee couple, and they took a flyer for the FSU Krishna Lunch to connect with Krishna food again.

The Tallahassee Sunday Feast


As a new devotee, sweet rice was one of my favorite preparations at the Sunday feast. Thus whenever I have time, I make it. As there are many vegans these days, and I want to make something they can also eat, I made it with almond milk. Its thickness and sweetness were almost perfect. I recall the recipe to replicate it:

9 quarts almond milk
1¾ cups basmati rice
3 cups sugar
9 cups chopped strawberries, fresh or frozen

Bring almond milk to a boil, and boil for 25 minutes. Add rice, and bring back to a boil. Simmer for 22 minutes under low heat. Transfer to a container that will fit in the refrigerator. Stir in the sugar until it is complete dissolved. Stir in the strawberries. Refrigerate until offering to Krishna. Offer and serve cold.


I felt victorious as Nama Kirtan Prabhu, the temple president, liked it.

One homeless lady, who liked my lecture, and who comes by whenever she is in Tallahassee, gave a donation, saying she had recently got some money. She has been to other temples in different parts of the country, including Jacksonville and St. Augustine.

We were happy that Garuda Prabhu came, as well as Satyaraj Govinda Prabhu and his family, who arrived recently from Minnesota to live in Tallahassee. He is enthusiastic to do Bhakti Vrska Programs and to chant Hare Krishna in public.

The Appearance Day of Advaita Acharya

At 7:15 a.m. on January 23 it occurred to me that Advaita Acharya’s appearance was coming up, and it might even be that day. I immediately checked the calendar and found out just in time that it indeed was Advaita Acharya’s appearance day. I played a lecture by Sacinandana Swami speaking on Advaita Acharya at Goloka Dhama on January 27, 1999, and I made a sweet for the holiday with ingredients available in the kitchen: peanut butter, dried coconut, and confectioner’s sugar.

That day on the campus, I chanted almost three and a half hours, and I met one girl who was excited to be added to the mailing list and to learn of our special programs.

At the evening Bhagavad-gita class I talked about Bhagavad-gita 4.7, which discusses the appearance of the Lord in the world. One new girl named Peyton attended, whose friend had taken photos of the fliers she received and sent them to her. She is a freshman at FSU and had just become vegetarian. She chanted, liked the food, and the program and said she would come back. Danny, who has been coming on and off for six years, and who I chanted with at Garuda’s program the previous Saturday came, and he was interested in having an additional kirtana after the program, so after prasadam about eight of us chanted for half an hour.

Thus a lot of auspicious things happened on the glorious appearance day of Advaita Acharya this year in Tallahassee.

For the next two days book distributors Brajananda and Dasya Prema Prabhus visited Tallahassee and thus our morning and evening programs were more lively than usual.

Here Brajananda Prabhu, now first and second initiated by Radhanath Swami, who first met devotees in Tallahassee and first took prasadam at the FSU Krishna Lunch, leads a lively evening kirtan (https://youtu.be/VDJ0OkXzhzg):


Brajananda Prabhu’s traveling book distribution partner, Dasya Prema Prabhu, dances and plays the karatalas. Aditya (standing) lives next door and often comes for the morning and/or evening program, and Suresh (sitting) often stays over, and then comes to the morning and/or evening programs. In the evening we would chant the Gaura Arati song, ten minutes of Hare Krishna and the Nrsimhadeva prayers. We would also chant the Sanskrit of chapter 15 of Bhagavad-gita, one of my personal vows for this year.

Gainesville Krishna House Friday Night Program

Friday afternoon, after two weeks in Tallahassee, I took the Megabus to Gainesville.

Here Sucitra Devi Dasi of South Africa chants Hare Krishna at the Krishna House Friday Program (https://youtu.be/a1UrotavNy4):


I gave the lecture and spoke on Sri Caitanya-caritamrita 7.23 which talks about the mood of Lord Caitanya and His associates in distributing love of God: “In distributing love of Godhead, Caitanya Mahaprabhu and His associates did not consider who was a fit candidate and who was not, nor where such distribution should or should not take place. They made no conditions. Wherever they got the opportunity, the members of the Pañca-tattva distributed love of Godhead.”

Then I showed how devotees from different nationalities are distributing Krishna consciousness to others of different nationalities, thus demonstrating the universality of the principle and practice of Krishna consciousness, and especially the congregational chanting of the holy name. I showed a playlist of my twenty-one most popular videos from 2017 on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGerEnGdI0xIrTjuTTNfnWHe4h8IZW6za):


I did not have time to play all of each video in the playlist, but I just showed a few minutes from each one and talked about the devotees and places involved. Generally people liked the presentation.

Gasparilla Parade of Pirates

This is the seventh year that Hare Krishna devotees from Alachua County joined with devotees from the Tampa area and chanted before the Gasparilla Parade of Pirates on Tampa’s Bayshore Boulevard. Many passersby, attracted by the enthusiasm of the devotees, danced with the Hare Krishna party, played the tambourine, and accepted lollipop prasadam and “On Chanting Hare Krishna” pamphlets. Although some of the youth who usually sing with us were absent because of getting ready for the parade, and we had an older group of devotees, still we were able to encourage many passersby to dance to the kirtan. Every year it gets better! (https://youtu.be/fjDdGOc7NcM):



One young lady from Florida State University excitedly came up to me as I was videoing the devotees chanting Hare Krishna before the parade, and said, “I know you! You go to Florida State and you sit outside at Landis.”
Yeah. Yeah.” I replied.
That is the second year in a row I met an FSU student who remembered me at Gasparilla!
I know you! I talked to you!” she repeated.
I replied, “Yeah. I am going to be there in a week.”
She said to a friend, “I met him!”
That’s cool,” I said, “I like FSU. There are lots of nice people.”
She continued, “I was running once, and I stopped and talked to you.”
Oh, cool!” I said, and asked her, “Have you ever been to the Krishna Lunch?”
She answered, “No, I haven’t.”
I encouraged her, “You’ve really got to check it out.”
She said, “OK, I’ll look out for you.”
I explained, “It’s in the Globe. You know, the Global Engagment Center. 11:30 to 2.”
She replied, “OK. Cool.”


Bhadra Prabhu entered a Ratha-yatra cart in the Gasparilla Parade of Pirates in Tampa for the first time ever this year. He presented it to the authorities as item of culture rather than something religious, since religious floats are not allowed in the parade.

The Krishna House devotees were part of the Ratha-yatra, so I joined them.


I was surprised that Saumya Radhika Dasi and Bhaktin Diana, who I knew from the New York City harinama, were visiting Krishna House for a few days. They enthusiastically participated in the Ratha-yatra.

Here Visvambhar Prabhu chants Hare Krishna before the Gasparilla Ratha-yatra, as the devotees wait for the Parade of Pirates to begin (https://youtu.be/nRJqkZbIC9M):


Visvambhar and Jagannatha Kirtan Prabhus led very lively Hare Krishna chanting in front of the cart with many instrumentalists and dancers from Alachua, Gainesville, and Tampa participating. It was amazing to see the positive response of the onlookers, who waved, smiled, danced, jumped up and down, shrieked in joy, and even shouted “Krishna!” (https://youtu.be/wx-Ug63Sd3s):


While I was videoing the Gasparilla Ratha-yatra, someone threw some beads with such force they knocked my camera out of my hand and onto the pavement below! Amazingly enough, the camera continued recording video throughout the incident, and it still functions properly even now! (https://youtu.be/9oloMW-OXdw)


For the Hare Krishnas, the end of the parade is never the end of the party! After the Gasparilla Parade of Pirates, Hare Krishnas chanted as the floats behind us in the parade passed by, and other parade participants waved, smiled, danced, embraced the devotees, and even inquired about what we were doing (https://youtu.be/q618Z2lSxjU):


Alachua Sunday Feast on the Lord Varaha’s Appearance Day

Nagaraja Prabhu led the chanting of Hare Krishna at the Alachua Sunday Feast program on Lord Varaha’s Appearance Day (https://youtu.be/Ubr3k5UF-ro):


Tamohara Prabhu gave the lecture, and notes on it are under “Insights” below.

Lord Nityananda’s Appearance Day

Lord Nityananda Prabhu’s Appearance Day was very busy, with two trips to Alachua to celebrate and two harinamas in Gainesville.

I did not sleep well the night before Lord Nityananda’s Appearance Day, thus I was awake when the devotees were preparing to leave for mangala-arati in Alachua, so I decided to go with them. Then we went to another mangala-arati at Krishna House.

During the time usually reserved for the morning Srimad-Bhagavatam class we did an abhiseka [bathing ceremony] for the Krishna House Gaura-Nitai deities.

Here Shyamala Kishori Dasi beautifully chants Hare Krishna during Gainesville Krishna House Lord Nityananda’s Appearance Day abhiseka (https://youtu.be/8CoUPfJ0FOA):


Shruti Sagar Prabhu chants Hare Krishna during Gainesville Nityananda abhiseka (https://youtu.be/ibCUOGUOdPk):


Bhaktin Aris Ferreira, new to Gainesville’s Krishna House since my visit last spring, chants Hare Krishna during Nityananda’s Appearance Day abhiseka (https://youtu.be/RzvdQQusx_E):


The end of her kirtan got very lively, inspiring many devotees to dance! (https://youtu.be/fbPOJQwSlHU):


Here Abhimanyu Prabhu chants Hare Krishna after the Nityananda’s Appearance Day abhiseka (https://youtu.be/AmZmtjyVc3w):


I made orange coconut burfi that we offered to Lord Nityananda on His Appearance Day, and all the devotees liked it. Just the zest from a single large orange, which I added after stirring in the coconut, flavored all sixty-four pieces.


Extra devotees chanted at Krishna Lunch in honor of Lord Nityananda, and thus it was especially ecstatic!

Bhaktin Lucy sings Hare Krishna at Krishna Lunch on Lord Nityananda’s Appearance Day (https://youtu.be/_hUuWrEvIO4):


Saumya Radhika Dasi sings Hare Krishna at Krishna Lunch on Lord Nityananda’s Appearance Day (https://youtu.be/r5w1YoJ0CRg)


Len Cohen plays ukulele and chants Hare Krishna at Krishna Lunch on Lord Nityananda’s Appearance Day (https://youtu.be/uEfTjKr_c5w):


Animesh Prabhu sings Hare Krishna at Krishna Lunch on Lord Nityananda’s Appearance Day (https://youtu.be/rGu4-X9Xr-Y):


Shruti Sagar Prabhu chants at Krishna Lunch on Lord Nityananda’s Appearance Day, and Murali Gopal Prabhu and Janaka Rsi (JR) Prabhu dance (https://youtu.be/AzV4efE-qhg):


On Lord Nityananda’s Appearance Day, Krishna House devotees planned to chant at the Tioga Monday Market, which we found unfortunately ended an hour and a half early. Thus we chanted at the sparsely populated Tioga Tower Center nearby. Still, some of the ladies distributed a few books of spiritual wisdom, and Shruti Sagar Prabhu taught two boys to chant the Hare Krishna mantra (https://youtu.be/AxzCcauSEFA):


After the Tioga Tower Center harinama, most of us drove to Alachua to catch the end of the Gaura Arati kirtan and the feast.

Here Mahatma Prabhu chants Hare Krishna in Alachua on Lord Nityananda’s Appearance Day, and many devotees jump up and down and dance in joy (https://youtu.be/aTYKvmdMrOk):


After Mahatma Prabhu finished singing his Gaura Arati kirtan on Lord Nityananda’s Appearance Day in Alachua, Dhira Prabhu continued the chanting a while longer for those not ready for the ecstasy to end (https://youtu.be/csgJPf9jKLY):


Chanting Hare Krishna at Krishna Lunch

The day after Nityananda’s Appearance Day, I chanted at Krishna Lunch. I spend three weeks a month in Tallahassee, where I usually chant by myself, but I delight in coming for a few days to Gainesville each month and to chant at Krishna Lunch with the Krishna House devotees (https://youtu.be/9ahCM9hfzM4):


My friend, Michael Collins, a musician who I chanted with in Gainesville many years ago, and more recently in New York City, got off from work early one day and sang wonderfully at Krishna Lunch (https://youtu.be/XBsYLWatAsY):


Here Bhakta Daniel chants Hare Krishna at Krishna Lunch (https://youtu.be/_WVeH76DaVg):


Tulasi Estrella chants Hare Krishna at Krishna Lunch (https://youtu.be/_p17MuJQZjU):


Once I chanted my favorite Hare Krishna tune at Krishna Lunch with Lucy accompanying on the drum (https://youtu.be/-wWyObzBWQo):


Chanting Hare Krishna at University of North Florida in Jacksonville


The last day of January, Adikarta Prabhu and I drove from Alachua to Jacksonville to share Krishna consciousness with the students at University of North Florida.

I chanted for three hours, and he distributed books for three hours. As usual, we met some people who regularly attend the Krishna Club and other people who had some interest in it.

Among Adikarta Prabhu’s special encounters on book distribution were one young guy who took four books, someone who gave a $40 donation, and a jovial professor of history who purchased Bhagavad-gita and Science of Self-Realization. He also met at least a couple students who had previously purchased books from him at UNF.

University of North Florida Krishna Club


At the Krishna Club program I talked to a young lady named Taylor (wearing head band above) who regularly chants Hare Krishna on beads and whose head swayed to the music of the kirtan the whole time. Another young lady named Terri (blonde), who is also a regular, had gotten books from Brajananda Prabhu during The Warped Tour.

Here Kira leads the chanting of Hare Krishna at the University of North Florida Krishna Club meeting (https://youtu.be/ek43zrCW0Rg):


Sorry the video is so dark. Some people like to do kirtan in dim light which makes it hard to take videos, especially if you do not want to disturb the singers mood by shining the light of your camera on them.

Adikarta Prabhu (center) spoke, and my notes on his class are below under “Insights.”

To see other photos I have but did not include here, click below:

Insights

Srila Prabhupada:

From a class on Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.15.27 in New York on March 6, 1975:

In the material world, everyone’s heart is burning with anxiety.

If anyone says he has no anxiety, he is lying.

Of course, if one is Krishna consciousness, he will have no anxiety.

If a man goes on suffering like this and makes no attempt to relieve it, he is no better than an animal.

Chanting Hare Krishna is not a material sound vibration. The proof of this is that you can go on chanting twenty-four hours a day and not get tired.

Arjuna says that when he remembers Krishna’s instructions in Bhagavad-gita, he becomes free from anxiety.

Gandhi did not understand Bhagavad-gita or Krishna, yet still he felt relieved by reading Bhagavad-gita.

Maya [illusion] is very strong unless one is very determined.

If we understand this life is meant for advancing in Krishna consciousness, our life will become successful.

Our problem is we are not serious about spiritual life.

Because the illiterate brahmana had firm faith in his guru and was therefore reading Bhagavad-gita, Lord Caitanya, who is Krishna Himself, personally came to see him.

“So many big, big leaders and politician[s] and so-called swamis and yogis, they have exploited people by bluffing, and now India’s position is: it is neither spiritual nor material. . . . The example is, if there are two boats and if you place your leg this boat and that boat, the position is very precarious.”

Technology is the business of the sudras. It is not meant for the brahmanas, ksatriyas, and vaisyas.

Our Krishna consciousness movement is based on Bhagavad-gita. We do not manufacture anything.

From a class on Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.15.29 in Los Angeles on December 7, 1973:

“And even Mr. Nixon is in such exalted post, he’s also full of anxiety, when he’ll be kicked out. You see. So find out any man who is not in anxiety. Not only human being but also animals, birds, beasts – everyone. That is the symptom of material existence, anxieties.”

“Here is Vasudeva, Krishna. You come here and see, very minutely, how Vasudeva is dressed nicely, how He is playing on His flute, how He is situated with His eternal consort, Srimati Radharani, how He is enjoying Her company. So nice thing for meditation. But why you are after zero? (laughter) Just see the rascaldom. Here is such nice object for meditation, and they are trying to meditate upon zero.”

“Why you are full of anxiety? Because you have accepted this material body. So if you stop accepting material body, there is no anxiety. That can be done by vasudeva-anudhyanam, constantly thinking of Krishna. So you haven’t got to pay any price. You are not losing anything, but you are becoming a great, perfect man. Why . . . don’t you accept this process, Krishna consciousness? Why you are after something, false thing? Just see how unfortunate people are in this Kali-yuga. They will not accept the real thing without any payment, without any loss. Everything is gain. They will accept something nonsense and go to hell. Just see. This is Kali-yuga. The Kali-yuga is so powerful that it will not allow you to accept the real thing. You will be after non-real thing and waste your time and valuable life. This life is meant for Krishna realization. It is not meant for anything, any other business.”

From Sri Caitanya-caritamrita, Antya 1.32, purport:

[Commenting on the liberation Sivananda Sena’s dog, Srila Prabhupada writes:]

“Therefore, everyone in the human form of life should be induced to associate with devotees. By rendering a little service, even by eating prasadam, what to speak of chanting and dancing, everyone can be promoted to Vaikunthaloka [the spiritual world]. It is therefore requested that all our devotees in the ISKCON community become pure Vaishnavas, so that by their mercy all the people of the world will be transferred to Vaikunthaloka, even without their knowledge. Everyone should be given a chance to take prasadam and thus be induced to chant the holy names Hare Krishna and also dance in ecstasy. By these three processes, although performed without knowledge or education, even an animal went back to Godhead.”

From Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.11.26, purport:

“And those who are artists, overtaken by the beautiful creation, should better see to the beautiful face of the Lord for complete satisfaction. The face of the Lord is the embodiment of beauty. What they call beautiful nature is but His smile, and what they call the sweet songs of the birds are but specimens of the whispering voice of the Lord.”

Sacinandana Swami:

From a class on Advaita Acharya at Goloka Dhama on January 27, 1999:

Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura said that Lord Caitanya again sent Svarupa Damodara Goswami to come as Gaurakisora Dasa Babaji Maharaja and Gadadhara Pandit to come as Bhaktivinoda Thakura to bring up the current of bhakti which had diminished after Lord Caitanya had left.

Adikarta Prabhu:

The sound of the Hare Krishna mantra is very powerful and can help you control the mind.

Controlling the mind is the secret for being happy.

I talked to many students today who were on medication for anxiety.

Because you are young, you think you can be happy enjoying your body, but if you go to an old folks home, you will see people are not enjoying their bodies.

The body does give you enjoyment, but it gives you more suffering.

The body is a bag of chemicals, and chemicals do not feel pleasure.

The enjoyment we get through the bodily senses is very temporary.

The body is not very beautiful. It looks great from the outside, but if you scratch a little, you will see it is not beautiful.

Intelligent people do not try to enjoy temporary things because temporary things get you down.

Life is meant to understand real happiness that does not have a beginning or end.

We cannot understand the inconceivable anymore than an ant can understand a computer.

We have to be humble and realize how insignificant we are.

Donald Trump is riding high now because of past good karma, but because he is very discriminatory, he could wind up poverty stricken in his next life.

Chanting the Hare Krishna mantra gives us spiritual strength to help control the mind.

One friend of mine who works at the University of Florida discovered through his research that raw milk has certain enzymes that fight cancer.

Kalakantha Prabhu:

Rama wouldn’t listen to his younger brother, Laksmana, and Krishna wouldn’t listen to his older brother, Balarama, so when Lord Caitanya’s spiritual brother, Nityananda, appeared, He resolved to do whatever He wanted as an avadhuta.

As Dasaratha died out of shock when Rama went to the forest, so Hadai Pandit died out of shock when Nitai left with the traveling sannyasi.

In the late 1960s, while Srila Prabhupada was taking prasadam, a devotee interrupted him saying there was a phone call for him. He said, “Is it worth a $1000?” The devotee said no, and Srila Prabhupada did not take the call.

We enjoy varieties of relationships. How can God deny himself an experience we all enjoy? The truth is that the Lord has a variety of relationship with His pure devotees.

Tamohara Prabhu:

This is something people might wonder about – an incarnation of the Lord who is a boar.

Usually when Srila Prabhupada was asked these questions, like how could the Lord come in the form of a boar, he would reply “Why not? God is unlimited. What is there that God cannot do?”

What need is there for so many incarnations? Why not make it simple and just have one form of God? God takes on many forms for His own enjoyment and for the enjoyment of His devotees.

Bhismadeva was a special personality. Can you imagine giving philosophical instructions with arrows through your body?

Although Bhismadeva’s worshipable form of the Lord was the Lord as Partha-sarathi, the chariot driver of Arjuna, he remembers the gopis and their pastimes as lovers of Krishna.

The Lord manifests a specific quality for each individual soul so each soul has a special appreciation of Him. This is explained in the purport of Srimad-Bhagavatam 10.14.7: “Srila Sanatana Gosvami further explains that the Lord manifests a specific spiritual quality for the benefit of each living entity. Since there are innumerable living entities within the confines of the material creation, the Lord manifests infinite qualities. Thus every conditioned soul can appreciate the Supreme Lord in a particular way.”

When I was young I read many books by Sai Baba and Rama Krishna. It is actually amazing I became a devotee. In the 1970s there were incarnations coming from India almost every month. Actually, however, one should accept only the incarnations described in the scriptures. Otherwise, although one may be sincere, he will be cheated.

Krishna’s pastimes are ever fresh. How many of you have seen a play of Lord Nrsimhadeva killing the demon Hiranyakasipu? How many have you seen more than one? Is it exciting the second time? Yes. Even though you know Lord Nrsimha is going to jump out of the pillar, it is still relishable.

Sixteen rounds of Hare Krishna is ten million names of Krishna a year.

One swami read Bhagavad-gita over three hundred times.

Each time we hear the same transcendental literature, we gain deeper realization.

Srila Prabhupada’s Srimad-Bhagavatam 4.22.25 purport lists four steps to perfection: “[1] The more we hear from realized souls, [2] the more we make advancement in our devotional life. The more we advance in devotional life, [3] the more we become detached from the material world. The more we become detached from the material world, as advised by Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu, [4] the more we increase in attachment for the Supreme Personality of Godhead.”

Two comments by me:

You spoke about how Krishna conscious topics are ever fresh. I have a friend who saw the movie Hare Krishna! (2017) five times.

There is a favorite verse of mine from the pastime of Lord Varaha, which you did not mention, so I would like to share it: “Sri Maitreya continued: After thus killing the most formidable demon Hiranyaksa, the Supreme Lord Hari, the origin of the boar species, returned to His own abode, where there is always an uninterrupted festival. The Lord was praised by all the demigods, headed by Brahma.” (Srimad-Bhagavatam 3.19.31) If even the boar incarnation has an uninterrupted festival going on in His abode, can we imagine what kind of festival Krishna, the source of all incarnations, has going on in His place of residence?

Response: In the beginning of Hare Krishna movement we just had a few movies by Yadubara, The Spiritual Frontier (1976), etc., and we would watch them every week, yet we never got tired of them.

Madhava Prabhu:

Three features of Lord Nityananda are especially important. He is the original guru. He delights in serving Krishna. He delights in distributing mercy. In fact, His service to Lord Caitanya is to distribute mercy by engaging everyone He meets in chanting about Krishna, worshiping Krishna, and following Krishna’s instructions.

Brajananda Prabhu:

King Pariksit took advantage of the brahmanas curse to inquire about the best way to spend his time before death.

The Aryan culture is to become God-realized, not to live for material benefit.

It is our birthright to become eternal and engage in the service of the Lord.

The father does not give the greater part of his estate to a bad son but an obedient one.

Although having all opulence, King Pariksit inquired from Sukadeva Goswami, who did not even have any clothes.

Because King Pariksit had surrendered to the Lord, he was fearless.

We do not ask the Lord to provide for us. He is already doing that. We just need to pray for devotional service.

Bhismadeva Prabhu:

From a conversation:

Sharing is caring.

Much of devotional service is promotional service.

Amrita Keli Devi Dasi:

I was in a morose mood the whole day once on Lord Nityananda’s Appearance Day. I went with the Krishna House devotees to Alachua for the festival. Toward the end of the festival, Chaturatma Prabhu threw a watermelon off the altar right at me. Watermelon was my favorite food, and getting Lord Nityananda’s mercy in that way really cheered me up. I still remember it years later.

The chanting is meant to connect us with our creator regardless of our bodily differences.

We can connect together through a process that gets us beyond the body.

Krishna is a name for the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Is that a cool term or what?

Abhimanyu Prabhu:

Guru Prasada Swami said self-sustainability is the pinnacle of preaching.

People work all week so they can drink all weekend and forget how hard they worked all week, and they work to maintain their bodies, so they can do it all over again, week after week.

The surrendered devotees can turn a place into a pastime place by creating places that remind us of Krishna’s pastimes, like the replicas of the Vrindavan temples in the Govardhan Eco Village near Mumbai.

Comment by Vaninatha Vasu Prabhu: Bhismadeva at the beginning of his speech said the age depends on the leader. It is not the leader is dependent on the age.

King Venu, as boy, would not just bully his playmates, he would murder them.

Comment by Murali Gopal Prabhu: Sam’s Club and Walmart every day throw out food from the previous days to make room for new shipments.

Comment by Lavanga Devi Dasi: Some stores now put locks on their dumpsters so homeless people can no longer eat the unopened packages of food that were thrown out.

Comment by Kalakantha Prabhu: In America in the 1950s, Republicans, who are a minority, began to engage religious leaders in promoting their ideas so they would stand a chance of getting elected. This is an example of how in Kali-yuga the brahmanas are puppets in the hands of the vaisyas instead of being independent and able to protect religious principles.

Comment by Richie: America wastes 40% of its food while 20% of Americans do not have enough food to eat.

Kira, from University of North Florida Krishna Club:

Kirtan does not take musical ability. It takes devotion and sincerity.

The icebreaker can be anything from “What is your favorite ice cream?” to “How do you want to change the world?”

Christina, a Florida State University student:

From a conversation:

One pastor in Tampa always says: “You do the natural, and let God do the supernatural.”

Mormon missionaries at University of Florida:

From their presentation at Krishna House in Gainesville:

The missionary program is voluntary.

Women (sisters) serve 18 months, and men (elders) serve two years.

We make the money before doing our missionary work to cover our expenses, but we give it to the mission and they disperse it.

We rise 6:30 a.m. and rest at 10:30 p.m. We first exercise, and then study. We stay out till 9:00 p.m. talking to people about the teachings of Lord Jesus Christ.

Though born in a Mormon family, I came to realize the Mormon path is true in the course of time.

Q: How do you see people from other religions?
A: We see the other religions help people, and they are all good.

God loves and knows each of us personally. He has given us many blessings, including our families.

We learn from the prophets in the Bible, for example, Abraham.

We see a pattern. God calls prophets. In due course, people kill the prophets. People become wicked. Then there is a period of darkness. Then God sends another prophet.

We see Joseph Smith as being the next prophet after Christ.

Q: What do you think is the purpose of life?
A: To come to earth, receive a body, and attain experience. By following the path of Christ and making promises to God, we become qualified to go back to God.

Q: What is the response at UF?
A: We get a variety of responses. Some people are nice. Some are uninterested.

We don’t drink coffee or tea (except herbal tea). No tobacco, no drugs, no alcohol.
We eat things good for the body, and do everything in moderation.
Some Mormons become vegans or vegetarians because it is better for health.
We do not want to be controlled by addictions, so we reject these things like coffee, tea, tobacco, drugs, and alcohol.

We read the Bible, The Book of Mormon, and The Doctrine and Covenants.

The teachings of Christ are so simple a child can understand, and yet also so deep you can study them your whole life.

We consider that God, the son, and the holy spirit are separate but have the same purpose.

I find the teachings have changed my life, and they have changed other people’s lives. I know it is truth. I know God loves each of us.

I have found the message of Jesus Christ brings a lot of happiness, and people, in this time especially, are looking for happiness.

God sometimes commands polygamy to help expand the gospel, but it is not something we presently practice.

Q (by me): Does the church help those who sacrifice their time to act as missionaries for two years by helping them get set up with jobs and marriages afterward?
A: No, they just gain the fulfillment that comes from the experience itself.

Q (by me): Does the church encourage people to become missionaries?
A: It is voluntary. My sister did it and liked it, so I was inclined to also do it.

A female Mormon missionary at Florida State University:

From a conversation:

Mormon founder, Joseph Smith, writes, “Those who know the true value of the soul will not even kill a fly.”

-----

We had a shortage of pujaris when I lived in San Diego, so I learned how to dress the Gaura-Nitai deities to help out. There were two prayers in the instructions for worship, one for Lord Caitanya and one for Lord Nityananda, which we were supposed to say at the conclusion of the dressing. As Lord Nityananda’s Appearance Day occurred during the end of January, I recall here that sweet verse about Lord Nityananda, the original source of which is unclear, but which is consistent with authoritative descriptions of Him.

nityanandam aham naumi
sarvananda-karam param
hari-nama-pradam devam
avadhuta-shiromanim


“I bow down to the Supreme Lord Nityananda Prabhu, who is the awarder of the highest joy to all, the bestower of the holy name and the crest jewel of all paramahamsa mendicants.”