Sunday, May 15, 2016

Travel Journal#12.8: Dublin, Newcastle, Leeds, Belgium, Holland

Diary of a Traveling Sadhaka, Vol. 12, No. 8
By Krishna-kripa das
(April 2016, part two)
Dublin, Newcastle, Leeds, Belgium, Holland
(Sent from Newcastle-upon-Tyne on May 16, 2016)

Where I Went and What I Did

After Rama Navami, I stayed in Dublin for the devotees’ monthly six-hour kirtana and weekly Sunday feast. Then Premarnava Prabhu and I went to Belfast to do harinama with Bhagavati Devi Dasi in the city center for two days, returning to Dublin for the Tuesday night kirtana. Wednesday we chanted in Dublin, and we were happy that Sundara Nitai Prabhu, returning from his traveling with Harinama Ruci and preaching in Fiji joined us. Then I went to Newcastle for three days of harinama and the monthly eight-hour kirtana. On Saturday Janananda Goswami joined us, bringing everything up to a higher level. Sunday I did harinama in Leeds and spoke at their monthly Sunday program. Monday I flew to Brussels from Newcastle via Dublin and chanted with Premarnava Prabhu at the Dublin Airport and the nearby town of Swords and by myself at Charleroi, the airport south of Brussels, on my way to Radhadesh. Tuesday I attended Kadamba Kanana Swami’s Vyasa Puja, as he has inspired me and given me different outreach opportunities and suggestions. Wednesday was Kings Day in Amsterdam and the harinama with 200 devotees for eight hours, during which many onlookers participated by chanting and dancing. After Kings Day, I did two days of harinama in Rotterdam with Sivananda Sena and Moksa Laksmi Prabhus, very enthusiastic disciples of Janananda Goswami. On the last day of the month, I flew to Birmingham to join the Birmingham 24-hour kirtana. The UK customs lady kindly removed my cautionary status with UK immigration that I received when they denied me entrance two years ago, so in the future it will be easier to enter the UK. Although the Birmingham kirtana began on April 30 and ended on May 1. I will describe it all, and the harinama before it, in my first May journal.

I share nectar from a Srila Prabhupada lecture. I include two inspiring quotes from Sanatana Goswami’s Brhad-Bhagavatamrita and one from Bhaktivinoda Thakura’s Sri Gitavali. I began proofreading Sarasvati Sanlapa, a book of Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura’s conversations and discourses, soon to be published by Touchstone Media, and I share an awesome number of amazing insights from him. As usual, I share excerpts from the books and journal of Satsvarupa Dasa Goswami. I share some notes on a class by Janananda Goswami. Tattvavit Prabhu, disciple of Srila Prabhupada, is based in Dublin for a few months, and I include some nice points he made during his lectures there. Kadamba Kanana Swami shared a lot of realizations during two lectures on his Vyasa Puja Day, which I also include. I also include some prayers by the kings imprisoned by Jarasandha from Srimad-Bhagavatam. I share some realizations from Mallakaara Krishna Prabhu of Radhadesh about outreach in Belgium. I also share notes on offerings made to Kadamba Kanana Swami by his disciples and admirers.

I would like to thank Mayesvara Prabhu of Dublin for offering to let me keep our harinama collection there. This time I accepted only half of it. Thanks to Sivananda Sena Prabhu of Rotterdam, who paid my registration fee for the Baltic Summer Festival and drove me from Amsterdam to Rotterdam and back. I thank the Newcastle temple and the Leeds nama-hatta for their kind donations. Thanks to John (the tall one with the glasses) of Leeds for his kind donation. Thanks to the Kadamba Kanana Swami blog devotees, Harinama Ruci, and the Hare Krishna Festival UK devotees for their pictures of me on the Kings Day harinama.

Itinerary

May 14–18: Newcastle
May 19: Sheffield
May 20: Sheffield harinama / Newcastle harinama and Nrsimha Festival
May 21: Sheffield
May 22: Sheffield Ratha-yatra
May 23–25: Manchester
May 26: Preston
May 27: Liverpool
May 28: Newcastle Eight-Hour Kirtana
May 29–30: North UK Retreat, Karuna Bhavan, Scotland
May 31: Edinburgh Harinama and Evening Program
June 1–8: Newcastle [June 4 York harinama and nama-hatta]
June 9: Sheffield
June 10: Leicester
June 11: Northampton Ratha-yatra
June 12: Chester
June 13–20: London [June 17 trip to Northampton nama-hatta]
June 20–21: Stonehenge Solstice Festival
June 21–June 30: France with Janananda Goswami [June 26 – Paris Ratha-yatra]
July 1–July 6: Newcastle [July 2 York harinama and nama-hatta]
July 7–9: Polish Padayatra
July 10: Prague Ratha-yatra
July 12–16: Polish Woodstock
July 17–26: Polish Summer Festival Tour
July 27–29: Berlin harinama?
July 30: Berlin Ratha-yatra
July 31–August 4: Czech Padayatra
August 5–11: Baltic Summer Festival
August 12–14: Ancient Trance Festival?
August 15–17: Bratislava?
August 17: Prague?
August 18–21: Trutnoff (Czech Woodstock)
August 22: Prague
August 23: London
August 24–29: Newcastle
August 30: Edinburgh
August 31–September 1: Newcastle
September 2: Sheffield
September 3: York
September 4: Newcastle
September 5–12: Ireland
September 13–: New York City Harinam

Dublin Six-Hour Kirtana

I am very happy to see that, since my visit last September, one young devotee couple, John and Pushpa, have established a monthly six-hour kirtana program in Dublin on Saturdays. Both of them had come out on harinama during my past visits, and also chanted in the streets again with us this time. The community is enthusiastic about the six-hour kirtana event, and as you can see in the videos below, many devotees, new and old, take part.

Tim, who organizes yoga retreats on the Inis Rath island, and who loves to chant, led a mellow kirtana (https://youtu.be/CLfTJGhzc1E):


Later Manu Prabhu led a lively kirtana with his characteristic intensity, getting many devotees to dance (https://youtu.be/EakMHCG7Fms):


I am happy that, by Krishna’s grace, I was there in Dublin for the kirtana event.

Belfast Harinamas


I was amazed to see the enthusiasm of Bhagavati Dasi (left) for harinama. She is in her sixties and just recovered from breaking her back, but was ready to do three hours of harinama with us the two days we were in Belfast. One young devotee lady (center), who was out shopping, joined us for half an hour or so the first day, thus increasing the size of our party. Thanks to Premarnava Prabhu (right) for driving me from Dublin to Belfast and back and participating fully in harinama.

Bhagavati distributed several books, and we gave the over £10 we collected to the Belfast temple.

Dublin Harinamas


Premarnava Prabhu (right) came out on almost all the harinamas. Prabhupada disciple, Tattvavit Prabhu (left), who I knew from working with Back to Godhead thirty years ago in Philadelphia, is spending a few months in Dublin and I was thankful he came out on harinama at least a couple times. John (center), who organizes the six-hour kirtana program with Pushpa (below, center), also came out.



Mayesvara Prabhu (right), who does a lot to keep the temple and its programs going in Dublin, also came out on harinama.

From time to time, locals passing by would participate in our Dublin harinama by dancing, and sometimes trying to chant the mantra. The girl who likes to say “Hare Krishna” in the video below would say “Hare Krishna” and do a little dance every time she passed our party that evening. Apologies for the blathering drunk, although he does add some local color. Thanks to Mayesvara Prabhu for playing harmonium, Premarnava Prabhu for playing the drum and singing, and Pushpa for playing the karatalas (https://youtu.be/UZY-d9Lbh2U):


The last day in Dublin I was chanting with Premarnava Prabhu and John in Dublin on the busy O’Connell Street, just half a block from our temple, when Sundar Nitai Prabhu returned to his native Ireland after traveling with Harinama Ruci and preaching in Fiji. I gave him the drum, and he got right into it (https://youtu.be/kWKRDXUkj-4):


In Dublin we collected almost 130 euros in five and a half days and distributed twenty-two books, all simply by chanting Hare Krishna.

Newcastle Harinamas

The day I arrived in Newcastle, Prema-sankirtan Prabhu kindly joined me on harinama for three hours. The next day four devotees chanted with me on Northumberland Street. I can always count on Prema-sankirtan Prabhu (initially playing the drum) to join me on harinama in Newcastle. Radha Shyam Prabhu (initially playing harmonium) is also a regular asset. Mother Kirtida proved herself a very enthusiastic dancer. Priyanka, our final singer, joins when not too busy with school. Thanks to them all for their enthusiasm, which you can see in this video (https://youtu.be/nASwU9KwLrg):


When Janananda Goswami came out the next day, we had fourteen devotees altogether and many people danced with us, and a few even chanted. One was an older lady with white hair who remembered the connection between George Harrison and Hare Krishna. Both she and her blond daughter chanted and danced with us twice, both as we passed by them going up Northumberland Street and also when we came back down. A young lady in red, who danced vigorously, also participated twice (https://youtu.be/LI4A60OS72M):


Harinamas are always extra special with Janananda Goswami!

Newcastle Eight-Hour Kirtana

Every month Janananda Goswami’s disciples Radhe Shyam Dasa (in the striped shirt) and Madhuri Dasi (in the yellow dress) organize an amazing eight-hour kirtana in Newcastle with joyful chanting, wild dancing, and feasts for lunch and dinner. Many people attend from their Sankirtana Society at Newcastle University. Often devotees come from as far as London and Scotland. Here Dhananjaya Prabhu, Rima from Edinburgh, Vasheel, Madhuri, and finally, Janananda Goswami, lead kirtana one after another, and many devotees dance. Dhananjaya Prabhu plays the bass (https://youtu.be/DEL-cf4mkIE):


This wonderful monthly eight-hour kirtana has been going on for three years.

Leeds Harinama

Although it would have been pleasant to stay for the Sunday feast program in Newcastle with Janananda Goswami, I decided to go to the Leeds program the final Sunday of the month and do a harinama before and give the lecture, as I am only free to go to two or three of those Leeds Sunday programs a year. I like to continue my relationships with people and places. I was very grateful that Gauridas Pandit Prabhu and Ashish came down from York to join me and the one elderly Hindi-speaking lady from Leeds with a walking stick, who showed up for harinama. Gauridas had never played the portable harmonium while standing before, and yet he played three tunes nicely, adding a lot to the chanting party.

In York, the devotees had a special Hare Krishna Festival a few weeks before, and that day in Leeds one Leeds resident, who had attended that program and liked it, followed our harinama for awhile. I gave her the contact phone number for a Leeds devotee so she could learn about the local programs. I told her about the program that day and offered her a ride there with us, but she had another commitment.

Chanting at the Dublin and Charleroi Airports and in Swords

I flew Ryanair from Newcastle to Brussels to go to Kadamba Kanana Swami’s Vyasa Puja in Radhadesh and the massive Kings Day harinama in Amsterdam the next day. I had a four-hour stopover in Dublin, and I invited Premarnava Prabhu to chant with me at the Dublin airport. We set up near the buses to the city because there were lots of people there. We lasted an hour before the airport police politely told us to stop. We then went to the nearby town of Swords and chanted another half an hour in front of a shopping center.

At Charleroi, the Ryanair airport south of Brussels, I had to wait over three hours to get a free ride to Radhadesh with some other devotees arriving on a later flight. Otherwise I would have to pay 60 euros for some devotee with a taxi business to give me a ride to Radhadesh, one hour away, or to pay 40 euros and take four hours of trains. As I like to chant three hours a day, I considered chanting at the airport for an hour and a half. It was so cold, windy, and rainy, I only lasted half an hour, my fingers getting too cold playing the harmonium. While I was chanting, military police with automatic rifles past by me, but they did not ask me to stop, and had the weather cooperated, I may have been able to chant the whole hour and a half.

It was nice to be able to include sharing the holy name with others on my travel day.

Kings Day Harinama


Kings Day, the birthday of the King of the Netherlands, is celebrated on April 27 each year, unless it is on the weekend, in which case it is earlier or later. The entire city of Amsterdam becomes like a huge block party with one or two million people. Two busloads of devotees come from Radhadesh the day after Kadamba Kanana Swami’s Vyasa Puja for the event, and we probably had around 200 devotees altogether.

I participated by dancing.

I also took photos and videos.

We gave people mantra cards, and they chanted.

In addition to the usual kirtana instruments, we had


a drum set (courtesy of Parasurama Prabhu)

and a bass guitar.

This year was coldest year I remember in the nine years I have been attending the event. I think it made the people a bit more sober and less completely crazy. As usual many people enjoyed singing and dancing with the devotees. I talked to some of them.

One girl from Amsterdam, who delighted in dancing with the devotee ladies, told me she also danced with the devotees last year. I mentioned we get together each Sunday afternoon at three and we sing and dance and have vegetarian food. She was interested, and I typed the temple address into her phone, as we do not yet have invitations for the new temple. In fact, in the course of the harinama, I must have typed the temple address into the phones of three or four residents of Amsterdam.

One lady, perhaps in her thirties also loved to dance. She said she and her friends were from France. I told her of the Paris temple in Sarcelles St. Brice. She said she now lived in Brussels, and asked if we had a place there. I told her to email me because I knew we had a place there but did not know the address, and I told her about our Belgian castle, Radhadesh, and gave her an invitation for that.

Here are some who loved to dance:








Near the museum, a devotee carrying a Hare Krishna flag climbed a pillar to make the holy names more visible.

At one point, some drummers really enjoyed playing with us.

I took some video of it so you can get a feel for what it was like (https://youtu.be/JQAO3IeDyKE):


Chanting in Rotterdam

We chanted two days in Rotterdam, the first in the southern part of the city, near Sivananda Sena Prabhu’s home and the second in the city center. The first day two others joined him and me, and we chanted for about two hours. Some kids were attracted by our party, and they spent fifteen minutes or so with us.

I was happy to see there were regular passersby so close by Sivananda Sena’s house, and as I like to do three hours of harinama each day instead of just two, I went out by myself the next day, sitting down at a crossroads no more than 50 yards (meters) from his apartment building with books and a donation bowl spread out before me. I chanted for an hour, and people took two books and gave six euros. Some of the same kids from yesterday listened for a while, and one man who gave a donation said he already some books.

Later that day we did the usual Friday harinama in central Rotterdam. We had nine devotees, including two enthusiastic drummers who were friends. Anandini Devi Dasi, a enthusiastic young lady, joined us both days.

At the beginning of the harinama, just as we were departing Rotterdam Centraal, the main train station, one young black lady started dancing to our music. She found it more exciting than her church and wanted to know about our programs.

One young guy attracted by our party asked Sivananda Sena Prabhu if we were from New York. Apparently he remembered me from New York and wondered if our whole party came from there.

After our harinama officially ended, some of us chanted on the way back to the car. We paused along the way, and Anandini Devi Dasi took this video (https://youtu.be/zmSjEzkVB50):

If you are my Facebook friend or hers, or a friend of a friend, it will look better at this link, https://www.facebook.com/devi.dasi.142/videos/243169992712389/, than in the YouTube window below:


To see pictures I took but did not include, click on the link below:

Insights

Srila Prabhupada:

From a lecture on Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.8.23 in Mayapur on October 3:

Even Draupadi and Devaki met with difficulties although they were so intimately connected with Krishna, therefore, when we encounter difficulties we should not be disturbed but face them courageously, depending on Krishna for protection as they did.

Sanatana Goswami:

From Brhad-Bhagavatamrita 1.1.9:

“All glories, all glories to the all-blissful holy name of Sri Krishna, which causes the devotee to give up all conventional religious duties, meditation, and worship. When somehow or other uttered even once by a living entity, the holy name awards him liberation. The holy name of Krishna is the highest nectar in my life and my only treasure.”

From Brhad-Bhagavatamrita 2.3.144:

“If you really care for Sri Krishna’s lotus feet, then execute pure devotional service that is free from karma, jñana, and other mixtures, and is mainly based on chanting the holy name of the Lord.”

Bhaktivinoda Thakura:

From Sri Gitavali, Bhajana Gita (Songs for Worship), “Sri Radhastaka: Eight Prayers in Glorification of Srimati Radharani”, Song 8, Verse 2:

“Just as I never know the sun to be without sunlight so I do not care to regard Madhava without Radha.”

Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura:

The following are excerpts from Sarasvati Sanlapa, a book of conversations and discourses of Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura, many translated from the original Bengali, soon to be published by Touchstone Media:

From a conversation with the editor of the Gaudiya on March 23, 1926:

“The pastimes Sri Gaurasundara displayed before going to Gaya mainly reveal His pastimes as Narayana. That is, in His householder pastimes, Sriman Mahaprabhu manifested only the form and characteristics of Narayana. Therefore, the householder pastimes of Lakshmipriya and Gaurasundara should be understood to be the pastimes of Lakshmi-Narayana in Vaikuntha. In text 43 of Sri Gaura Ganoddesa-dipika, Kavi Karnapura writes that King Janaka of Mithila appeared as Vallabhacarya in Gaura’s pastimes. Lakshmipriya was Vallabhacarya’s daughter, and she was the combined form of Janaki and Rukmini.”

“Pandita Sri Gadadhara Gosvami, however, appears in Gaura-lila as Srimati Radharani’s sentiment, and Sri Dasa Gadadhara is manifest as Her complexion.”

When sadhana-bhakti [devotional service to the Lord in practice] matures, it transforms gradually into bhava-bhakti [devotional service in ecstasy] and then prema-bhakti [devotional service in pure love of God], just as a mango has three stages of ripeness: green, half-ripe, and fully ripe. It is the fully ripe fruit that is useful in Krishna’s service.”

“When one practices sadhana-bhakti from the platform of one’s spiritual propensity to serve Krishna, the fortunate soul gradually becomes elevated to bhava-bhakti and then prema-bhakti.

From a conversation with Ṭhakur Saheb Kusala Singh on October 16, 1927:

“In Srimad-Bhagavatam the Supreme Lord instructs that until one becomes an uttama-adhikara (Vaishnava paramahamsa) one has no alternative but to accept tridanda sannyasa. Everyone must accept it.”

Srimad-Bhagavatam (11.29.17, 19) states:

yavat sarveshu bhuteshu mad-bhavo nopajayate
tavad evam upasita van-manah-kaya-vrittibhih

“‘Until one has fully developed the ability to see Me within all living beings, one must continue to worship Me by this process with the activities of his speech, mind, and body.’

ayam hi sarva-kalpanam sadhricino mato mama
mad-bhavah sarva-bhuteshu mano-vak-kaya-vrittibhih

“‘Indeed, I consider this process – using one’s mind, words, and bodily functions for realizing Me within all living beings – to be the best possible method of spiritual enlightenment.’”

“The word danda means ‘to subdue.’ To accept tridanda means to subdue or control the the speech, mind, and body by engaging them in the service of the Supreme Lord. This is widely described in sastra.”

“Sri Rupa-Sanatana, Sri Raghunatha, and others worship in the mode of pure goodness – the mode of worship of the maha-bhagavatas. This mode is not based on the kind of mundane faith expressed by kanishtha-adhikaris. Rather, it is an expression of service in the mood of ecstatic love; it is direct seva [divine service]. Srila Raghunatha Dasa Gosvami does not worship the guñja-mala and Govardhan-sila Mahaprabhu gave him in a mood of awe and reverence; he performs direct, intimate service to Gandharva-Giridhari on the exalted path of raga [attachment].

From a conversation with Pandita Syamasundara Cakravarty on January 11, 1928:

“There is nothing in this world but opposition to Srimad-Bhagavatam. Every independent idea of every so-called independent living entity averse to God from time immemorial is against the Bhagavatam’s principles.”

“In other schools, or philosophies, truth is mixed with illusion, but at the very beginning of the Naimisharanya School’s commentary on Vedanta it is said, dhamna svena sada nirasta-kuhakam satyam param dhimahi: “I meditate on Sri Krishna, who is eternally existent in the transcendental abode, which is forever free from the illusory representations of the material world.” (Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.1.2) Adherents of the Naimisharanya School meditate on the Absolute Truth, free from any kind of cheating.

“Form, taste, smell, sound, and touch are called vishaya [sense objects]. That mind that thinks itself the enjoyer of these is materially attached and impure. Such a mind never realizes the Absolute Truth. The eternal reciprocation of service between the eternally worshipable complete Saccidananda and the eternal worshiper, the minute sac-cid-ananda, is what cleanses the contamination from a restless mind and, as the heart fills with devotion, that same mood of service brings about samadhi, or trance. The service-inclined heart depends neither on sense objects nor the renunciation of them [to perceive the Lord]. Rather, it perceives the Supreme Lord with the transcendental vision born naturally of its eternal serving propensity.”

“Miyate anaya iti maya – maya is that which can be measured. The Supreme Lord, who cannot be measured, controls that which can be measured, maya. If something can be measured, it is maya, not the Supreme Lord.”

“Whatever action the living entities perform, the Supreme Lord awards them accordingly. It is by the Lord’s inspiration that the living entity’s propensity to act according to their previous karma becomes active. The living entity is the doer and the Supreme Lord the director. The Supreme Lord’s authority as director is present in every act jivas perform; that direction takes the form of the Lord making the jivas enjoy the fruits of their past and present activities, and preparing them to perform future activities based on their continued conviction that they are the prime actors. The Supreme Lord bestows results, and the living entity enjoys those results.”

“The living entity is a minute particle of the superconscious Supreme Lord. The qualities present in ocean water are present in each drop of that water, although in minute quantity. Since the supremely cognizant Lord is supremely independent, the living entities also have minute independence.”

“Had how the jivas [individual living beings in the material world] choose to use their independence been up to the Lord’s inspiration, the jivas would be serving God instead of forgetting Him.”

“When we first hear from the spiritual master, his ideas appear revolting. We may even dare to correct the spiritual master and make up his inadequacy with our empiricism. But the flow of thought of the external world cannot attack the object ‘guru.’ He is able to keep such things millions of yojanas away. Because his position does not shift, he is ‘guru,’ or the heaviest object.”

Anartha is that which is blocking us, separating us from our artha, or the ultimate goal of our life, Krishna. That thing that is blocking us is making us its slave.”

“Vaishnava dharma is the only religion for all spiritual beings. It is the only dharma that is natural to the living entities’ constitutional position. There is no need to become a Christian or a Muslim or a Hindu. Simply become a Vaishnava. That’s all. There is no need even to become a tree, a bird, an animal, a stone, a demigod, a demon, or a human being. Simply become a Vaishnava and follow your constitutional dharma. This is what Mahaprabhu did. When He traveled throughout South India He chanted the holy name loudly, and all who saw Him became Vaishnavas. When He traveled through the Jharikhanda jungle, the trees, creepers, grass, animals, birds, and stones could no longer preserve their respective conditioned states of being. Rather, they all became Vaishnavas. The Saivites, the Durga worshipers, the atheistic Hindus, the Pathanas, the Buddhists, the Mayavadis, and all the people He met who wanted liberation or material enjoyment, the yogis, the ascetics, the learned, the foolish, the healthy, the sick – all became Vaishnavas. Mahaprabhu’s only “weapon” was krishna-kirtana. And those who became Vaishnavas in turn, by Mahaprabhu’s order, acted as gurus and converted everyone they met in all directions to Vaishnava dharma.”

“There has never been, nor will there ever be, any greater benefactor than Mahaprabhu and His devotees. The pretention natural to all other welfare work is gravely harmful. The welfare work rendered by Mahaprabhu and His devotees is eternal, supreme welfare. This is not welfare offered for a few days; it is no temporary benefit. Nor is it a proposal of welfare that will cause harm after some time – not some kind of welfare that will inconvenience others while it benefits some. For example, anything good done for my country will inevitably be bad for another country. I may be happy riding on a horse-drawn cart, but inevitably the horse is inconvenienced. My temporary happiness causes distress to another, and when others are happy, I may become distressed. Mahaprabhu and His devotees never cheated anyone by proposing such welfare. What they proposed and then gave was beneficial for all time and in all circumstances. Mahaprabhu’s welfare can be applied to all countries and to all people at all times. This welfare is not confined to any particular country or harmful to any other country. It is good for the whole universe. Therefore, Mahaprabhu and His devotees never propose any narrow-minded, sectarian, temporary benefit. What Mahaprabhu offers never produces any ill effect in anyone. Therefore Mahaprabhu’s mercy is called amandodaya, or ‘that compassion which does no harm.’ Mahaprabhu is maha-vadanya, and His devotees are maha-maha-vadanya. These are not stories, not literary fictions; we are speaking about the highest truth, reality.”

“To think that Lord Narayana is a poor man is not service to Narayana or even service to Narayana’s servants, the living entities; it is only service to Mayadevi.”

“We should serve Hari and Hari’s devotees. We should also serve those who are unable to understand Lord Hari by helping them understand Him. We serve such people intellectually and physically.”

Sri Kshanada-gita-cintamani states:

heloddhulita-khedaya visadaya pronmila-damodaya
samyac-chastra-vivadaya rasadaya cittarpitonmadaya
sasvad-bhakti-vinodaya samadaya madhurya-maryadaya
sri-caitanya daya-nidhe tava daya bhuyad amandodaya

‘O ocean of mercy, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu! Let there be an awakening of Your auspicious mercy, which easily drives away all kinds of material lamentation. By Your mercy, everything is made pure and blissful. It awakens transcendental bliss and covers all gross material pleasures. By Your auspicious mercy, quarrels and disagreements arising from different scriptures are vanquished. Your auspicious mercy causes the heart to feel joy and pour forth transcendental mellows. Your mercy always stimulates devotional service, which is full of joy. You always glorify the conjugal love of God. May transcendental bliss be awakened within my heart by Your causeless mercy.’”

“Buddhist is actually another name for Vaishnava. Yet in the hearts of the Buddhists they lack knowledge of the characteristic or constitutional position of the Vaishnava. For example, Rama’s worshipers are called the Ramayets, Nrisimha’s worshipers the Narasimhis, Varaha’s worshipers the Varahis, and Krishna’s worshipers the Karishnas. Similarly, the worshipers of Vishnu’s incarnation Buddha are called Buddhas or Buddhists. For example, although the Aula, Baula, Karta-bhaja, Neda, Daravesa, Sain, Sahajiya, Sakhibheki, Smarta, Jata-gosaiñ atibadi, Gauranga-nagari, and other such sects accept Gauranga in name only and have fallen away from Gauranga’s actual teachings, so the Buddhists call themselves “worshipers of Buddha” but have fallen from Lord Buddha’s actual teachings. Instead, they are bewildered by Vishnu’s illusory energy, maya. When the Buddhists realize themselves as Vaishnavas and submit to the feet of pure Vaishnavas, they will understand their original constitutional position. The Buddhists who met Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu understood their constitutional position because they received Mahaprabhu’s mercy. We see evidence of this in Kaviraja Gosvami’s writings.”

“Those who worship the personal form of Vishnu are called Vaishnavas, and those who worship the impersonal form are called brahmanas. The three manifestations of the nondual knowledge (or substance) are called Brahman, Paramatma, and Vishnu. One who knows Brahman is called a brahmana, and one who worships the Supreme Lord, and who therefore already knows Brahman, is called a Vaishnava. Bhagavan is the fully manifest Absolute Truth, and Brahman is the Absolute Truth in an incomplete manifestation. Therefore only brahmanas who are endowed with knowledge of their relationship with God and who therefore worship God can become Vaishnavas.”

“Mahaprabhu’s teachings can benefit the whole world because they are not ordinary teachings. Mahaprabhu’s teachings contain no narrow sectarianism. His teachings can award the highest benefit to all living entities and bestow the supreme goal of life on all.”

From a conversation with Professor Dr. P. Johanns, the most senior professor at St. Xaviers College, Calcutta, and a religious instructor for the Roman Catholic Jesuit sect, on April 20, 1928:

“What to speak of not being able to understand everything, by not hearing from a living source one may understand the purport of the text upside down or backward.”

“Even the distress in Goloka dances on the heads of all other happiness, and the lamentation there, too, repeatedly dances on the heads of all other forms of happiness. Happiness, distress, lamentation, and other feelings in Goloka simply nourish one’s supreme bliss.”

“Absorption in so-called, mundane morality is a stumbling block for those who wish to attain Krishna’s lotus feet. Krishna is fully independent, self-willed, and self-manifest. There can be no indecency in Him. Everything about Him is decent and supremely beautiful. The determination of what is decent and what is indecent can only be applied to the living entities under His control. But Krishna is the all-powerful, absolute, transcendental Personality of Godhead.”

“However, an honest tendency to inquire with an unhypocritical spirit is not evil the way the ego-driven challenging spirit is. Proper inquiry reveals a thirst for hearing. That is why it is written in our scripture that the spiritual master should be given at least one year to assess whether or not an aspiring disciple has approached with a challenging attitude or is genuinely wanting to take shelter of him. One has to approach a spiritual master and hear from him submissively, not debate with or challenge him. We should be careful about our intentions when asking questions. Honest inquiry with a desire to hear from an experienced acarya is called the descending path; the path adopted by empiricists is called the ascending path.”

“Those who adhere to the ascending path of empiricism approach teachers highly experienced in material science, and if needed, they invite those teachers to debate with them. This is a dangerous approach in which people with thirty years of experience try to defeat people with fifty years of experience, and long experience is completely useless in the face of new scientific discoveries. Likewise, 20,000-year-old civilizations prove backward in the face of 10,000-year-old civilizations. But the empirical process, which is based on the experience gathered with the material senses, can never actually provide one with complete knowledge.”

“While preaching the truth, Sri Caitanyadeva debated with many so-called philosophers and used His weapon of spotless authorized philosophy to smash into pieces all the unauthorized philosophies they presented based on their empirical knowledge. Hearing with attention and patience from the fully devoted followers of Caitanya, we will be supremely benefited and astonished to see in the character of Sri Caitanya a complete spiritual synthesis and a wonderful solution to all problems.”

“Once, I met Reverend Ridley De. After he quietly listened to my lecture for two or three hours, he said, “Since you are saying things that are so similar to Christianity, why don’t you declare yourself a Christian?” To this I said, “Christianity is only a partial representation of – or a step on the ladder of – Vaishnava dharma. Apart from that, we have more, which supplements what Christianity teaches. Things that have not been said in Christianity because qualification is there to a fuller extent in Vaishnavism. Vaishnava dharma is the only supreme religion for all living entities. The other religious systems are either stages of Vaishnavism or perversions of it. To the degree that they are stages, they can be accepted for particular classes of people; if they are perversions, they should be rejected.”

“Christ is an empowered incarnation (saktyavesa-avatara) of a portion of Krishnacandra’s plenary portion, Lord Vishnu. Considering the capability and qualification of particular countries or societies, and in order to benefit them, Lord Vishnu, invested a portion of His energy in an exalted living being and sent him to them as the Son of God. Christ, therefore, did not have the qualification to reveal the highest transcendental mellows of ecstatic love – the complete sweetness of the supreme Absolute Truth Krishnacandra’s transcendental pastimes, which only Krishnacandra Himself, who is the ocean of all transcendental mellows, can distribute in the world. Even those who live in the first of the two-storied Vaikuntha cannot understand Krishnacandra’s sweetness.”

“Vaikuntha is the place where there is no anxiety, no room for measuring things with our senses. Vaikuntha is two-storied. In the first story, the Supreme Lord is present as the supremely opulent personality. Above that, in the second story, despite the Lord being fully opulent, He covers His opulence with the power of His sweetness by His inconceivable potency and eternally manifests as the most nectarean personality, the ocean of all transcendental mellows.”

“Professor: You have spoken some highly philosophical truths. I will need a lot of time to realize all that you have said.
Srila [Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati] Prabhupada: You will not only require a lot of time, but you will have to hear these discussions again and again from the mouth of genuine, realized persons. Some days ago, Mr. Chapman (the librarian of the Imperial Library of Calcutta) came to the Gaudiya Matha and listened to Sri Caitanyadeva’s philosophical conclusions for two or three hours. As he was leaving he said, “This philosophical truth is so incomprehensible that even a learned, experienced, wise person like me is unable to enter into it.” Therefore, unless one hears it repeatedly with a heart inclined to service, it is impossible to understand this subject matter, because it is not an ordinary topic. That is why Sri Caitanyadeva instructed us to hear and chant the topics of the Supreme Lord with “humility like that of a blade of grass” and “tolerance like that of a tree.” We have a desire to preach about Sri Caitanyadeva’s compassion in the Western countries, but we don’t know how much it will be appreciated there.
Professor: I hope all the gentlemen of the Western world will respectfully accept your words. I am particularly happy to hear these discussions about Caitanya’s philosophy from you.”

“Professor: You should preach this highly philosophical spiritual truth in London.
Srila [Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati] Prabhupada: If God wishes, it will be done for sure. Caitanyadeva and His living devotees desire to wake up the entire world. In His religion, there is no function of matter in the form of material enjoyment based on sense gratification. Taking advantage of His religion, those functions of matter that have come into existence – Sri Caitanyadeva has no connection with them. Let the people of the whole world worship Caitanyadeva with their spiritual propensity. This alone will bring them supreme benefit.”

Satsvarupa dasa Goswami:


“Radha-Govinda, when I worship You
and gaze at You,
or chant Your Holy Names,
please allow me to pray
for one thing only –
Radha-Krishna prema.
Give me the intelligence
not to pray for relief
from headaches
or footaches
or dental repair
or even longevity
or freedom from birth and death.
Only one thing is worthy:
Radha-Krishna prema,
and prema and seva
to the servants of Radha-Krishna.
I have been taught this
by Lord Caitanya and Srila Prabhupada,
and they know best.”


“The dancers are full of colors,
and they are moving gracefully
to the beat of mrdanga and karatalas.
The passersby wonder what
makes the Krishnas so happy
that they are singing for hours.
The answer is the holy names
are full of bliss and give
energy to the chanters.

Janananda Goswami:

As Srila Prabhupada did in the early days with the new people, we can graciously accept offerings of food we are given but not actually eat them.

In the time period around the founding of ISKCON in July 1966 different things were happening in the world. The Vietnam War was really escalating. The Beatles went to India for the first time. And for the only time in history, the English beat the Germans for the World Cup.

Originally, according Srila Prabhupada’s diary in New York City, he was going to call his society “The International Society for God Consciousness,” but by the time of the actual incorporation he changed it.

Tattvavit Prabhu:

Tala refers to the beat or rhythm and kara refers to the hands, so karatalas are instruments held in the hands that keep the beat.

Bhava or emotions are another component of singing. Bhagavad-gita is the song of God, and we learn of God’s emotions for us within it.

Who can be a better person than Arjuna, who was a personal friend of Krishna?

Krishna is giving us a formula for becoming immortal. First of all, we should not be disturbed by happiness and distress, and secondly, we should link ourselves with Krishna by working for Him in yoga.

Spiritual life does not mean to produce some gold by mystic power but to become immortal.

Our material life is compared to a fever, an unnatural condition.

The sage Visvamitra, when he met King Dasaratha, asked him how his program to conquer over birth and death was going.

We cannot become eternal, full of bliss, and full of knowledge independently of Krishna.

The soul does not give up the body, but the body gives up the soul.

Kadamba Kanana Swami:

From a class on the Seventh Canto:

There are demoniac ways of thinking and desires that we have to overcome.

No demon, no matter our proud, can stand up to the Supreme Lord.

We are gifted by Krishna by different abilities.

The mahajanas, including Prahlada Maharaja, are perfect role models.

Our spiritual life is not a matter of conquering lust and anger but being fully absorbed in Krishna’s service.

When we are feeling a lacking in our life, that is Krishna we are lacking.

We must make a conscious effort to build up our spiritual life by adding more spiritual elements to our lives. It starts as duty, but very soon it becomes attachment.

Srila Prabhupada was the only one awake when the old lady would bring the Yamuna water for the bathing of Radha-Damodara, and he would let her into the temple each morning. Thus he appreciated her steady service and said she would attain the spiritual world because of it.

One of the austerities of the mind is to be satisfied when we have all that we require spiritually.

If we cannot learn through hearing, we have to learn through suffering, and that is not fun, not fun at all.

Some people have never had any real suffering, just perhaps feeling some lacking, but it will happen at the time of death, and then they will be unprepared.

The beauty of the material world is hard to ignore, but if we focus on the deity, and we chant Hare Krishna, worship Krishna, and study and execute Krishna’s instructions, it is possible.

Invest. Invest. Invest now. Invest now in your spiritual practice. The service will accumulate, and it will pay off.

In Parividha Prabhu’s slideshow he expressed regret that although present during Srila Prabhupada’s time, he did not take full advantage of Srila Prabhupada’s presence.

Embrace Prahlada Maharaja’s positive attitude of being completely absorbed.

When we have trouble, it is only that we have not done enough devotional service.

We think erroneously “if I was inspired I would be more Krishna conscious,” but actually if we are more Krishna conscious, we will be more inspired. We have to give ourselves in service, and Krishna will give inspiration.

A kanistha [neophyte] thinks if Krishna gives me ecstasy, I will surrender to Krishna, but a madhyama [one in the middle position] thinks if I surrender to Krishna, Krishna will give me the ecstasy.

I had shingles and could only sleep an hour a night for a month. I tried to preach to myself, “You are Goswami. You should be more renounced. This is good.” But I could see I am not yet on that level.

Our main focus is not to deal with the Hiranyakasipu within us but to develop the absorption in Krishna of Prahlada. If we do this, the result will beyond what we can imagine.

Wherever Krishna is present, there can be no maya.

We have a taste for demoniac activities, but the result is suffering.

Material happiness is like this: I am having a party. At my party, all your hidden desires will be fulfilled, everything you always dreamed of will be there, but at the end, you will be shot. Will you be coming? If you are a fool, you will be coming.

Devotional service is wonderful. Whatever you do in devotional service brings you benediction after benediction.

We are all friends. Let us do wonderful things with our friendship in devotional service.

By serving the master, we develop the qualities of the master, and thus the qualities of Krishna manifest in His devotees, and from His devotees to other devotees.

It is the devotee who can light the fire of inspiration in our hearts.

The message of Bhagavad-gita is hard to understand, but when it is explained by a devotee, it is understandable.

When I first read Bhagavad-gita As It Is, the message I got from reading purport after purport was that these arguments are reasonable and we should accept them if we are sincere, and if we accept them, we should surrender our life, and if we are unwilling to surrender our life, then we are not sincere.

It takes the whole Bhagavad-gita to convince Arjuna to do his duty for Krishna.

In the Ramayana, we find endless dharma impressed upon us.

Every Rama Navami I read the entire Ramayana.

In Ramayana there is a pastime when some bees that are completely drunk are led home by one bee, who did not get so intoxicated. Rama pointed it out, and Sita thought it was a funny story. It shows how only one who is not intoxicated, the guru, can actually lead others.

I joined the Hare Krishna movement in Vrindavan and got the mercy of being in a place where Krishna is in the center.

To us who were serving in the dhama, it was clear that we should not obscure the nature of the dhama by giving into the false ego.

It is like we are stepping from the material world to the spiritual world, but in the beginning all our weight is on the material leg.

It is not a mystical thing. Being more absorbed in spiritual activities, we find we have no time for material activities.

It is not a long journey, rather we are already there. It is just an adjustment of consciousness.

Everyone is meant to contribute in his own individual way, to bring in spiritual elements.

Let us give to the community of the devotees. The community of the devotees is our wealth.

Early on, I had a sense that Krishna liked things done in a certain way and I burned out a few devotees, steamrolled them. Now I understand that this is the community of devotees in which I have to please Krishna. Disposable relationships are not part of Vaishnavism.

When we give something to the community of devotees, we give so much life.

Haven’t we all sometime received some maha-prasadam and taken it to our room and locked the door, and eaten it all?

In Jaipur, there is a little old woman who gives little binoculars to the pilgrims so they can see the deities. What a nice contribution! When I saw the deity close up, I saw He had a watch, because in India, if you do not have a watch, you are nobody.

For eighty years there was a war between Holland and Spain, William of Orange won the war for Holland, thus orange symbolizes freedom for the Dutch.

I am a bit of a rebel, and I think that you are somehow or other rebels, because rebels attracts rebels, and that you like your own personal space. I am here to provide that personal space for you in Lord Caitanya’s movement.

It is not my mission in life to be counted among the sheep.

If we are individualistic, then we have to take responsibility as individuals. Ultimately we want people to take individual responsibility.

We can be carried our whole life, but at the time of death, we have to face the final test alone. At the end, the ball is in your court only and nowhere else, and it is what you do with it that counts.

Although we wish the best for everyone, we win a few and we lose a few. Let us not become distracted by the petty little things of this world, like sex desire. Will sex fulfill us? We are here because we have some doubt. The world is oversexed. The world makes too much of it. Whatever place it has in your life, do not give it too much energy. There are more important things in life. Keep it in the boundaries. Being married to this one or being married to that one is not so different. The personalities are different, but the same scripts are there. The actors are different, but the script is the same. The sex desire will not satisfy us, only developing our relationship with Krishna will, so let us add Krishna to our other relationships.

My astrology is not good for a long life. But the many prayers of so many Vaishnavas I think are a lot stronger.

After the disappearance of the spiritual master, it is what we offer to him that is most important. Carry on in this mission. Create space for people to preserve their individuality and at the same time follow spiritual principles.

At Kings Day I am not just thinking about my own enjoyment. I think of all these intoxicated people, who are trying to have fun and not having fun, while we are having fun, and when they run into our kirtana and enjoy dancing in it, that is my happiness.

The kings imprisoned by Jarasandha:

From Srimad-Bhagavatam 10.70.26:

“Let us offer our obeisances unto the all-powerful Lord who appears as time and suddenly cuts down one’s stubborn hope for a long life in this world.”

From Srimad-Bhagavatam 10.70.28:

“O Lord, with this corpselike body, always full of fear, we bear the burden of the relative happiness of kings, which is just like a dream. Thus we have rejected the real happiness of the soul, which comes by rendering selfless service to You. Being so very wretched, we simply suffer in this life under the spell of Your illusory energy.”

Mallikaara Krishna Prabhu:

Hinduism is not recognized as an official religion in Belgium although Buddhism is.

It is just a few years since Hare Krishna has been removed from the list of dangerous sects.

In Belgium people speak both French and Dutch, but of the thousands of people paying for the tour of Radhadesh each year, 97% of the people take it in Dutch. The French speakers are still so inclined to think of Hare Krishna as a sect.

Kadamba Kanana Swami’s Vyasa Puja

Guru Das Prabhu (the master of ceremonies):

Kadamba Kanana Swami once told me that we should not try to squeeze the orange, to take as much as we can from the spiritual master.

He is here to encourage us to engage our talents in Krishna’s service. Whatever state we are in, there is hope.

While doing a three-day marathon in Scotland, we met a policeman who was part of church that did healings. We explained to him about Kadamba Kanana Swami’s condition, and a congregation of hundreds did an evening mass for his healing.

Sacinandana Swami (by letter to Kadamba Kanana Swami):

Of all the qualities, I admire in you, I want to focus on your faith – that “you never give up.” Your faith in devotional service conquers over all obstacles. It was as if you consider it is the body’s duty was to give misery, and your duty is to serve Krishna despite it.

By your service attitude you have proved to Srila Prabhupada, the devotees and the people in general your attachment to Krishna’s service.

Devotee who I did not know and who went before Sadbhuja Prabhu:

Just as every moment is a good time to chant the holy name so every moment is a good time to glorify the guru.

Sadbhuja Prabhu:

You are a very special to have a relationship with as a person. Your patience and your insights and your allowing me to be close to you are inspiring.

Revati Devi Dasi:

How you are empowered proves that Krishna is pleased with you.

Thank you for being my best friend in this world.

You health crisis made me consider I should take my spiritual life more seriously so you do not have to come back to this material world.

Bahulasva Prabhu:

I saw because of your kindness you saw some small interest in Krishna in me and thus I am still hanging around. It takes time to realize that service to guru and Krishna is more relishable than any material situation.

You are our true friend by praying that we remain always engaged in devotional service.

Gopali Devi Dasi:

I like the story of Thakura Haridas and the Laksmi-hira, the prostitute, who he delivered. It is amazing you are able to deal with such a variety of disciples and to give them ways to advance spiritually.

You told me I could pray to Lord Caitanya, for He can do miracles.

May my heart beat only to satisfy my guru’s desires.

Jaya Bhadra Devi Dasi (disciple of Srila Prabhupada):

I like to come to Vyasa-puja because people show where they really are.

You are unique, kind, funny, principled, and dedicated to preaching Krishna consciousness.

You told us, “You have to leave people satisfied.” It sounds just like a managerial tactic, but actually it is a great challenge to do.

I feel grateful to you for your encouragement.

Bhakta Nimai, his servant for eight months:

On the Kings Day bus last year, you invited me to travel with you. You engaged me in serving Giriraja, and I am forever grateful to you for that.

You saw me struggling with a mosquito net in Calcutta. You helped me out, and joked, “Every German is not an engineer.”

In Madrid you led a fired-up harinama without a mike. You said that therefore at the program later you could not chant more than 45 minutes, but you went on for two hours.

Traveling with you has been the best experience of my life.

Ananda Vrindavana Devi Dasi, disciple of Bhakti Tirtha Swami:

I was feeling difficulty and you gave me shelter, reaching out, like my Guru Maharaja.

I wish to live to please you as you live to please your masters.

Thank you for you for giving me a life I can share meaningfully with others.

Sudevi Dasi:

I had a dream of a Vyasa Puja with unlimited time, unlimited space, and unlimited exchanges. It gave me hope that I can overcome my limits by your grace. Thanks.

Tattvavati Devi Dasi:

My husband and I have become Vyasa Puja junkies. I think we have been to fifteen.

Even when we thought you could not come, I thought we could do it without you. Then I thought we could do two: one without you, and later one with you.

Krishna-kripa das:

In glorification of Kadamba Kanana Swami’s guru, I want to mention that Jayadvaita Swami received a Benjamin Franklin gold medal award for his book, Vanity Karma, in the religion category.

[I was surprised there was not much response when I said this, and Kadamba Kanana Swami explained he mentioned it in his blog, and thus they all knew about it.]

There are many great souls in the Hare Krishna movement who know the philosophy and can express it, but not all of them have a practical effect on your life. Kadamba Kanana Swami is one who has.

I met him in Mayapur in 2008, where he taught Bhakti Sastri and Bhaktivaihava. He invited me to Queens Day (now Kings Day), and I came that year. Then he told me to come every year, and so I did.

He has invited me to do outreach in Switzerland and in England, outside London, as all the swamis go to London. He bought me a ticket to South Africa to witness the programs going on there. In fact, on my fiftieth birthday, by his grace, I went on harinama in Pretoria, a new city, in a new country, and on a new continent – a wonderful birthday present from him.

I wrote about both Queens Day and South Africa for Back to Godhead.

He has wonderful qualities for a guru to have. He is dedicated to the parampara, our lineage of spiritual masters. He is fixed in his sadhana [spiritual practice].

When he chants the holy name in kirtana he fully absorbs himself and inspires everyone by his intensity. I encounter friends in America, Europe, and India, who love listening to his recorded kirtanas.

He is friendly, practical, and compassionate.

Some devotees did not have many practical living skills, and because he is so expert, he is able help them practically engage their lives in Krishna’s service in many ways.

One year he told disciples who cannot follow their initiation vows, “Keep in touch, and let me know where you are honestly at. I am committed to helping you come to a higher level.” Such beautiful compassion!

[The applause of the disciples after I spoke showed they liked my words of appreciation, and it made me happy. I was hoping to inspire them in their relationship with their guru, an exalted soul.]

Sutapa Prabhu:

The guru hits the ball into your court, and you have watch the ball very carefully, and then hit it back into his court.

The greatest gift is to have a relationship with someone in your life who has more faith in you than you have in yourself.

Guru das is like my best friend, but I think if I was his guru, I would kill him. I am amazed to see how you are compassionate to take care of him.

I said, “I cannot relate to Gaura-lila.”
You gave me a dirty look and said, “You do not know Gaura-tattva, and so you do not appreciate Gaura-lila. Stick with me and I will give a taste for Gaura-lila and Sri Caitanya-caritamrita.” Now I do feel more appreciation for Gaura-lila. I have seen by our being with you we get so much spiritual wealth from our relationship.

Parama Karuna Prabhu:

Smita Krishna Swami once said we come to Krishna asking him to solve our problems, but we should be asking Krishna how we can help Him to solve His problems.

In the course of your sickness, we all did our services desiring your welfare, and we forgot our own self-interests. I am now understanding this is how we should always do our services.

As a child has little to give but gratitude and love, I feel the same, although I have so little of either.

Yudhisthira Prabhu:

You said you wanted your disciples to be known as very nice people, and I am trying to take that to heart. I see many people in Norway are attracted by the humble down-to-earth mood I learned from you.

Manidhara Prabhu said of you that it is wonderful how you brought back many devotees who were on their way out, thus confirming to me your friendly approach.

Advaita Simha Prabhu:

It your mercy I am inspired to go on in my spiritual life. You always give 108% in complete surrender.

You came to Germany to inspire us in our book distribution, and we did much better than in the previous weeks.

Gauravani Devi Dasi:

I want to thank you for all you are doing for us. I am still a big rascal, and you care for me so much.

I cannot do so much. I dress Radha-Gopinath for you.

You are sometimes like a lion with me because I am also rascal, but I see this is very good for me. I am happy you are kind to me, and you are also heavy with me. It is Krishna’s kindness that you correct me when I do something wrong.

When you came to Radhadesh, we got to serve you so much. So many good times. So much screaming too, as I was not a very competent servant.

Once you said, “When someone tells you three times, Gauravani, that you have to be humble, that means you have to be humble.”

Purusatraya Prabhu:

I feel I am at home in your presence. I know Krishna exists.

Having a long life means to hear your hours of lectures.

Your disciples are your decorations.

Prabhupada’s books can change one’s life 180 degrees.

You give your hand, and all I have to do is to hold it.

Nama Rupa Devi Dasi:

You explained that we would remain outsiders in Vrindavan except by the mercy of Sri Sri Gaura Nitai.

You have said there is a procession with Lord Caitanya and Nityananda and their followers, chanting and dancing, with the line of spiritual masters, and ourselves following along.

-----

Although hearing of Krishna ultimately awakens love for God, even in the beginning stages of our practice, so much relief from life’s miseries is there:

yasyam vai sruyamanayam
krishne parama-puruse
bhaktir utpadyate pumsah
soka-moha-bhayapaha


Simply by giving aural reception to this Vedic literature [Srimad-Bhagavatam], the feeling for loving devotional service to Lord Krishna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, sprouts up at once to extinguish the fire of lamentation, illusion and fearfulness.” (Srimad-Bhagavatam 1.7.7)