Saturday, January 30, 2010

Mahavishnu Goswami—A Sadhu Who Made a Difference

I offer my respectful obeisances unto all the Vaishnava devotees of the Lord. They can fulfill the desires of everyone, just like desire trees, and they are full of compassion for the fallen souls.

I feel it is a joyful duty to write a few words about the sadhus I have some relationship with on the occasion of their disappearance, and Mahavishnu Goswami is one of the best among them. He had faith in talks of Krishna, and he gave faith in talks of Krishna. He loved the scripture and gave love for the scripture. He was also kind and friendly in his dealings, always concerned about individual devotees.

On the subject of marriage, he once told me, “Marry the Bhagavatam, or get married.”

In the question/answer period after a class, I told him that when I fast on Ekadasi, if someone gives me any more service than I planned on doing, I feel like punching him out. I inquired from him if my fasting was artificial renunciation, and he replied, “Yes.” Since then I fast half the day on Ekadasi in a more positive mood.

In San Diego in the early 90s he advised us to memorize chapter twelve of Bhagavad-gita, and so I did, along with a friend of mine. He suggested I also memorize chapter fifteen, as it was also just twenty verses, and so I did. Each year I would see him, I would get another chapter to memorize, and if I didn’t see him, I would choose one myself. He also engaged me in memorizing the second chapter of the Bhagavatam, and the excellent prayers of Queen Kunti and Bhismadeva. He recommended after that, the prayers of Sukadeva Goswami and Rukmini Devi, but those I never got to.

After memorizing the last chapter of Bhagavad-gita this year, I thought of visiting him in India and thanking him for encouraging me in the study of the scripture, but I was not determined enough to follow that inclination. Now he has disappeared, and I will not have the chance. Thus I shall thank him by these words of glorification.

There are many qualified sadhus in ISKCON with love for Krishna and His instructions, but I think that none were able to practically increase my study and appreciation of the beautiful scriptures that Srila Prabhupada has kindly given us to the extent that Mahavishnu Goswami has.

I pray at his lotus feet to attain the love for Srimad-Bhagavatam and its hero, Lord Sri Krishna, that His Holiness Mahavishnu Goswami has.

His Holiness Mahavishnu Goswami ki, jaya!